IGNORED

5 year warranty & transfer?

I'm looking at buying a 2006 RSV from a car/cycle shop (not a Yamaha dealer). The original owner traded it in a few months ago.

I've been told the bike is still under warranty until 2011...not sure exactly what all is covered but...

I just read in the online owners manual that the bike must be inspected and reregistered thru an authorized Yamaha dealer...and must be done within 10 days after transfer of ownership to the subsequent purchaser.

So does that mean 10 days after I purchase it? What about when the dealer purchased it from the original owner & didn't have it inspected/reregistered?

The other problem is the bike is 2000 miles away from me. If I buy it, I'll have it stored at a friends place for a few months before I can pick it up. So I won't have it to take it to a Yamaha dealer within 10 days.

Is this all saying that I won't have a warranty?

Check with the local Yamaha dealer and see what they say. I bought a 2003 this year and still had warranty and went to dealer with the same question. He told me it did not matter cause they go buy the vin number anyway. The warranty is 5 year unlimited miles. This is what I was told by the dealer and have not had any problems with any warranty work.

Joe

Check with the local Yamaha dealer and see what they say. I bought a 2003 this year and still had warranty and went to dealer with the same question. He told me it did not matter cause they go buy the vin number anyway. The warranty is 5 year unlimited miles. This is what I was told by the dealer and have not had any problems with any warranty work.

Joe

Ditto. This is exactly what I was told also. I bought mine from an individual in Feb and didn't get it into dealer till March. No problems.

Like the guys above I bought my RSV in Dec and it was the following march before I got it into the dealer.

Here comes the kicker part and will start another long thread. I had to pay $25.00 to have mine inspected, some say you don't have to pay anything I just paid the 25 because I didn't want any trouble with my dealer on something questionable later.

Jerry

Guest KitCarson

That is what the owners manual does say......must be inspected within 10 days and it is a 25 dollar transfer fee to the new owner. So it would be safe to follow the rules.......just in case........I hate to even let a dealer put air in a tire.....but.....was nice to have Yamaha support with the clutch basket issue. One thing I have realized about these bikes......as many people who are on this forum and the number who visit.....you know .......there is just not any serious problems with these bikes.......none.......not the newer ones anyway.......some of those 83/84 seem to need a lot of gorilla tape:sign20:

Guest MotorCycleRadio

I'm selling a 2007 "Silverado" with the extended 5 year warranty on it. Yamaha calls it their "YES" plan. (Yamaha Extended Service) My dealer is advertising it on his web site, when I asked him about the warranty being transferrable (I read it in the warranty from Yamaha) he said it DOES have to be inspected within ten days from transferring ownership. By the way, that warranty cost me $900.00.

Thanks for all the replies...sounds like it's more up to the dealer...which makes me a little nervous.

I talked to one dealer that said the warranty is only good for the first 2 owners...can that be right? He also said that Rod was the first owner...he traded it into this cycle shop so they're the 2nd owner...they're selling it to me so I'd be the 3rd owner and not eligible for the warranty.

That just can't be right, especially since the cycle shop never reregistered it with Yamaha. It just can't be that tough of a question...people trade in bikes all the time. I'm thinking that particular dealer is wrong, which again makes me nervous.

I'm gonna call my local dealer and probably Yamaha themselves if I can find a number for them and see if I can get something in writing!

Like the guys above I bought my RSV in Dec and it was the following march before I got it into the dealer.

Here comes the kicker part and will start another long thread. I had to pay $25.00 to have mine inspected, some say you don't have to pay anything I just paid the 25 because I didn't want any trouble with my dealer on something questionable later.

Jerry

Also, I was the third buyer of my 01, the orignal owner, HD dealer, another owner and then me.

I had a shock replaced and two of the wind deflectors replaced before the warranty ran out.

You should be fine.

Jerry

I hate to say it but those dealers (stealer's) are lying to you.

It is a 5 year warranty period. Whether you sold it or not or how many people owned it. As long as warranty work was done and up keep.

I researched before I bought mine (used) and I even tried to get an extended warranty but at that time it was not offered.

My dealer is a honest shop and even did warranty work after mine was 4 months out of warranty. The shop just called YAMAHA and got unapproval on it before they started.

Yamaha approved and the shop repaired it (no Charge).

I hate to think how these STEALERS are raking it in. You pay for work or 25.00 and there still billing YAMAHA for warranty work.

What a racket they have and I figure if there cheating the customer by that means are they really doing the work on the bike when I bring it in.

I.E. oil change, carb adjust, valve adjust at the assigned intervals...................................................Ron

I called Yamaha Customer Relations today to get their take on it. He told me:

• Warranty will only transfer if it passes Yamaha inspection

• Assuming it does, there is no limit on the number of owners (the YAMAHA dealer was wrong!)

• Inspection & re-registration must be done within 10 days of bill of sale

• He suggested the following:

• When I've decided I want it but before signing paperwork, have shop I'm dealing with take it to Yamaha dealer & have it inspected (but not registered). Yamaha dealer should give paperwork saying it passed inspection. Then the shop can take the bike back

• Finalize sale paperwork with shop

• When bill of sale is done, have shop take that to Yamaha dealer with the inspection paperwork and have them re-register the bike in my name

Sounds like if you've got a good local dealer, they'll be a bit flexible about things...but that's the official line I guess.