IGNORED

Lifetime map update after Zumo 550 replacement

Midnight

I wondering if anyone has gone through this experience yet. I had to send my Zumo 550 away for replacement a week ago as it decided to stop working after 3 years. The screen touch went crazy. I should have the new refurbished one in the next week. I had purchased a lifetime map subscription last year. My question is whether the map update will transfer to my new Zumo. Do I have to call Garmin to make it happen?

I also have the XM radio. I am assuming it will work no problem as the antenna/receiver is a seperate piece. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks JR

You will probably need to call Garmin, because your download of maps will be for the serial # on your old unit and will not recognize nor load to your new unit because of a different serial #.

C.R.

My map download was for the relpacement unit, as garmin had changed the unit serial # in my profile. While I was there, they also transferred my waypoints to the new unit.

I was at the US Garmin service centre for less than an hour, but spent over 6 hours downloading the map set via a wifi connection at the motel 6 Grump & I stayed at. This was during our big trip this last summer, between Wrongway's & the Cody International.

So the OP of this thread should just have to download a new map set, as the new serial # should be on his profile, in place of his old one. :2cents:

Thank you for sharing your experiences. Here is an update on my replacement process:

I received my replacement Zumo today and discovered a few things, which may help others who are going through the same thing.

If you get your replacement from Garmin in the U.S., then Garmin will change the serial number in their database to the replacement one before they ship it. This allows access to software updates and lifetime map subscription, if you purchased it.

I live in Canada and had mine replaced by the authorized Garmin dealer in Canada, in order to avoid all the border issues. They do not have access to Garmin's database, so I had to call Garmin USA to get it done. No big deal. The XM radio worked fine on the replacement. I simply plugged it in.

The only problem I do have now is it appears the refurbished unit sent to me doesn't always respond to touch screen commands. It also jumps to a different screen occasionally when you are typing in data. I updated the software and did the screen calibration to no avail. Has anyone else experienced similar problems with a refurbed unit?

So I guess this one gets sent back, too. Let's hope this isn't a trend. The old one lasted 2-1/2 years and did a lot of work. Made our trips a big success. Will call tomorrow and go from there. JR :confused24:

The refurbished unit has a warranty of 90 days I believe --- use it

150.00 I replaced mine it was 5 years old

Dead battery

Outdated maps

Calibration would not keep

Screen was getting unreadable

I purchased the downloads for mad maps a while back and they are available in My Garmin after replacing the unit

Worth the 150.00