IGNORED

Left Side Crankcase Cover

I'm embarrassed to say this but I tried to remove the left side crankcase to install my new clutch spring. I got the clutch installed on the right side but only after I screwed up the gasket and the starter clutch wiring on the left side crankcase.

How hard is it to remove the left side crankcase and replace the stator coil wire since I think I damaged it while trying to remove the cover? Also it feels like the (left) crankcase cover has something keeping it from coming right off ( springs back when pulled on). Is there something I need to know about when removing that cover?

:confused07:

What's holding the cover is the magnets affect of the rotor magnets pulling on the stator. It will come off with some pulling but keep it a staight as possible and watch your fingers. It will bite.

Going back on it will snap back to because of the magnetic pull. Make sure the new gasket is secured in place with a bit of silicone to hold it while mounting the cover.

Mike

It is embarrassing; we've all done worse, but few are willing to admit their mistakes to the world.

I'd just like to thank you for doing so, and giving me a chance to learn something valuable, like that part about the magnetic interference with the alternator cover.

It is embarrassing; we've all done worse, but few are willing to admit their mistakes to the world.

I'd just like to thank you for doing so, and giving me a chance to learn something valuable, like that part about the magnetic interference with the alternator cover.

Amen to that! There isn't enough room to list all my "Do'h!" moments. Before I ended up here I had plenty of them. Still have them..... but with the experience and knowledge shared by the members here there have been a lot less of them.

Every day is learning experience ya know. Some are cheaper than others. :crackup:

Glad I could help!

Looks like I did mess up the stator wire (has a nick in it where it goes in the crankcase cover). Not sure if it can be reinsulated in that spot. I may try and post a picture later.

If you just nicked the wire and I assume it was outside of where the wires come through the stator housing, I would clean the wires well with alcohol or Acetone and then coat the wires with Liquid Electrical Tape and let it cure. Cheap fix. And durable.

As long as you are already in there a coat of Black High Heat Silicone on the rubber plug and wires where it fits into the case will help prevent any seeps through the plug. The OEM wires had a woven cover on them and a prime place to seep oil.

Heck, most of us goop the daylights out of that plug when we upgrade to a new stator to prevent leakage.

Let us know how it works out.

Mike

i knoew the feeling. Last weekend I reoved my handle bars, fairing and forks to grease and adjust the triple tree bearings and than reassembled it all and them realized I did not tighten the fork mounting bolts. OOPS! had to take it all back apart again.

Since I'm showing my ignorance - I also turned the motor over using a socket wrench on the generator rotor bolt while I was trying to figure out why the cover would not come off. Could I have screwed up the timing or anything by doing this? It felt as though the motor just ran through a cycle and nothing loosened up. I went both clockwise and counterclockwise. :fingers-crossed-emo

Yes - i managed to get that right. Thanks for the help. I have decided to go back with a new stator since I don't want to go back through this again anytime soon. My luck I would fix the old wire on the stator, get it all back together, go on a long ride and break down. Not worth the $200 bucks and time to break this thing apart.

Again thanks for the help - I need to learn to ask first and then use the tools!