IGNORED

Used computer stuff

aharbi

UPDATE - everything is gone.

UPDATE just to be fair. I've been working by first request. You may not see the post as some have PM their request.

I have over the years donated my used but working computer stuff to Goodwill. I have another truck load of printers, monitors, scanners, etc. Stuff that is working but outdated and too costly to mail. But some of the smaller stuff may be of use to fellow members. I'm a true believer in recycling and would hate just to pitch it if someone here has a use for it, just pay for USPS mailing. Or if in Texas just ride to meet.

4GB DDR2 800MHz (2x2gb) - spoken for

1GB DDR2 PC5300 (667MHz) for netbook or laptop - Goodwill

512MB (2 x 256MB) DDR 133MHz 133 pin from Gateway laptop - Goodwill

PCMCIA card for laptop - spoken for

10/100 LAN card for desktop - Goodwill

10/100/1000 LAN card for desktop - Goodwill

PCI SCSI-II - pending

Dual display graphic card - spoken for

Wireless Mouse - eats batteries at least once a month - Goodwill

Garmin USB Laptop GPS with North America V8. - spoken for

WIRED - Linksys BEFSR41 V.2 - Goodwill

35MM 1800dpi slide/negative scanner (USB 1.1) - spoken for

WOW! External 135MB removable hard drive cartridges (SCSI-II attached) - spoken for

everything is "as is", no tech support provided, :rasberry: some drivers may not work with newer operating systems like Windoze XP :crackup:

Edited by aharbi
updated - nothing left

You're a good man, Art! I just gave away a router and cable modem myself a short while ago. I do have a desktop I want to get rid of, a HP running XP that's about 9 years old. Never thought of Goodwill.

If anyone wants my old desktop it's the same deal, just pay shipping. No monitor with it...

Just be sure when you donate, sell or get rid of any computer.....make sure you completly erase the hard drive!

Not just a format....you need to format it a few times or get a "shredder" type software...otherwise the data can be recreated and if you have any personal info on there....it ain't personal no mo!

myself....I destroy the hard drives before I recycle the rest of the hardware.

See...you can learn something from watching TV !!!

(CSI Etc)

Just be sure when you donate, sell or get rid of any computer.....make sure you completly erase the hard drive!

Not just a format....you need to format it a few times or get a "shredder" type software...otherwise the data can be recreated and if you have any personal info on there....it ain't personal no mo!

myself....I destroy the hard drives before I recycle the rest of the hardware.

See...you can learn something from watching TV !!!

(CSI Etc)

No matter how many times you format the disk, the data's still going to be there. All the formatting does is it deletes block pointers from the current formatting and re-writes them. Essentially, the pointers to the files are lost, but the data is always going to be there until it gets written over with new data.

It's one reason I like the dd command in Linux. It's built into the Operating System itself and it can be used to make a perfect clone of a drive as well as set all blocks of data to 0, effectively erasing the drive completely. Using the command three times as follows:

dd if=/dev/false of=/dev/{h,s}da

will write "0" to each and every bit on the first hard drive, whether you have the old IDE hard disk (/dev/hda) or the new SATA hard disk (/dev/sda).

likewise:

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb

will make a perfect clone of the data on the first SATA hard disk and place it in exactly the same location on the Second SATA hard disk. As long as the disk being written to is as big or bigger than the first disk, there won't be any issues.

Using this I was able to take the 40GB drive that held my Windows 7 Operating System and Clone it onto a 500GB drive. After the clone, everything worked just like it did on the smaller drive; I just had to use the Disk Manager in Win7 to expand the partition to take up the rest of the drive.

Just be warned that if you're going to use dd on a 500GB Drive It's going to be working for several hours. It took my Computer (2.1 GHz Dual Core with 2 GB RAM) about 7 hours to complete the data shred on the 500 GB Drive before I cloned the 40GB onto it. The TB drive I had to run the cleaner overnight.

Now that all the tech talk is outta my system I'll leave y'all to your regularly scheduled thread.