IGNORED

Mounting a GPS and other stuff

After seeing several variations on mounting some accessories on a 1st gen, I thought I would share what I have done.

In mounting the GPS, I wanted it to be easily visible, stable and not in the way of other things. By mounting a piece of Plexiglas on the left side handlebar riser, it is off center enough to not be in the way of reaching for the ignition switch and it is stable. It is also easy to take off when parked.

Years ago, the vent on the left side broke and I installed a radar detector in the hole. It works very good shooting through fairing and is out of the way and not noticeable. This helps when I make a corner and drive into a Virginia State Police roadblock as detectors are illegal there. I also have a switch on the panel near the radio where I can quickly turn it off.

I have also mounted an inside/outside thermometer above the detector and have the temp pickup mounted under the mirror. This gets it out in the wind and also shades it from the sun. I put a sun shield over the thermometer and that helps.

With this bike being a standard, I made an aluminum cover that mounts the radio at a 30 degree angle to help keep the CD player from skipping when I hit a bump and it also makes it very easy to change CD's while riding. I also put a row of switches in the panel cover for added lights and the detector.

This may be a bit different from some of the others I have seen, but it works for me.

RandyA

What all did you do to the pocket cover you made from aluminum?

Is it a flat piece or are edges formed? How thick of mateerial? Waht paint did you use?

Gary

When I got the bike it had one of those Cycle Sound covers that held the radio that was plastic. I made one out of aluminum that held the CD player verticle, but the player jumped , even on a small bump. I made another one and set it in at a 30 degree angle and that worked better and made it easier to swap CD's. It also gave me a place to put switches.

I used sheet aluminum and don't know the gauge, maybe just under 1/16th thick. I bent the edges a little to raise it. The paint is called Wrinkle Paint. I found a better picture.

RandyA

When I got the bike it had one of those Cycle Sound covers that held the radio that was plastic. I made one out of aluminum that held the CD player verticle, but the player jumped , even on a small bump. I made another one and set it in at a 30 degree angle and that worked better and made it easier to swap CD's. It also gave me a place to put switches.

I used sheet aluminum and don't know the gauge, maybe just under 1/16th thick. I bent the edges a little to raise it. The paint is called Wrinkle Paint. I found a better picture.

RandyA

How did you attached 30 deg shroud? TIG weld it?

Gary