IGNORED

Computor help

Condor

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably just dirty. Have you tried washing it with your phone? :whistling:

Yep remove the dust bunnies every so often. Which brings something to mind. Why don't these computor companies install a filtered cooling fan that blows into the CPU and pressurizes the case rather than one that sucks all the dirt and dust into it. Just keep an eye on the filter and change it out when it gets dirty. Seems to me anyway that it would eliminate all the dust problems.... :confused07:

Update on the problems. I just ordered a T-P Link WN822N. Hopefully it'll connect to the router with a better signal by placing the thing in the window. I just installed a new LinkSys E4200 router and I wonder if it's coverage may not be a good as the older unit.

Mike and I have filters on our fans, you can usually find the filter material online somewhere. we have the type you remove, rinse, and return to the fan, it's like a spongy plastic material. I had to do it because 2 desktop computers ago (circa 2007) I had a power supply die in a brilliant display....cat fur killed it.

Guest tx2sturgis

Why don't these computor companies install a filtered cooling fan that blows into the CPU and pressurizes the case rather than one that sucks all the dirt and dust into it. Just keep an eye on the filter and change it out when it gets dirty. Seems to me anyway that it would eliminate all the dust problems.... :confused07:

Ah grasshoppah...there is no point in extending the life of a $300-$500 computer past about 2 years from a large manufacturers point of view. They might spend $2 more per unit adding filters, times selling a million units or so (which would add up), then the computers might last 5-7 years with no trouble and that benefits the manufacturer exactly HOW? A five year-old computer is getting quite antique these days.

They WANT you to buy a new one in a year or two.

Ah grasshoppah...there is no point in extending the life of a $300-$500 computer past about 2 years from a large manufacturers point of view. They might spend $2 more per unit adding filters, times selling a million units or so (which would add up), then the computers might last 5-7 years with no trouble and that benefits the manufacturer exactly HOW? A five year-old computer is getting quite antique these days.

They WANT you to buy a new one in a year or two.

Couldn't they just reverse the fan they use now and put say 5 cents worth of filter material over the intake. Just think how many dirty house calls they'd avoid....

Guest tx2sturgis

Couldn't they just reverse the fan they use now and put say 5 cents worth of filter material over the intake. Just think how many dirty house calls they'd avoid....

The problem there is that if and when that intake filter gets plugged up, from smoke, cathair, or a sheet of paper, then the entire unit might suffer from overheating. With an exhaust fan, there are many sources of intake openings in the case, so a blockage of one opening is not critical, and by the time the fur and dust and other debris float thru the cabinet they have less chance of impinging the airflow at the fan. And, some PC's use temperature sensing fans, or have an RPM sensor, and they can report back to the OS or the CPU on the overall temperature and cooling requirements inside the cabinet.

But, I did just what you are suggesting, to one of my old PC's in the dark ages. I added an intake fan to the case, and kept the factory exhaust fan. But you do have to make sure that intake fan cant get blocked, or else the fan itself can fail.

The problem there is that if and when that intake filter gets plugged up, from smoke, cathair, or a sheet of paper, then the entire unit might suffer from overheating. With an exhaust fan, there are many sources of intake openings in the case, so a blockage of one opening is not critical, and by the time the fur and dust and other debris float thru the cabinet they have less chance of impinging the airflow at the fan. And, some PC's use temperature sensing fans, or have an RPM sensor, and they can report back to the OS or the CPU on the overall temperature and cooling requirements inside the cabinet.

But, I did just what you are suggesting, to one of my old PC's in the dark ages. I added an intake fan to the case, and kept the factory exhaust fan. But you do have to make sure that intake fan cant get blocked, or else the fan itself can fail.

I understand what you're saying, but I've seen some pretty dirty heat syncs on CPU's. As long as the intake filter is visable, plugging shouldn't be a problem. I guess it's a question of whether your glass half full or half empty. Personally I still think a pressurized case is a much better way to go. Monitoring and cleaning one visable external filter is a heck of a lot better... and easier.. than tearing into a case because you're not sure how clean the inside is.... What they are doing is selling vacumm cleaners... :) IMHO

Guest tx2sturgis

I understand what you're saying, but I've seen some pretty dirty heat syncs on CPU's. As long as the intake filter is visable, plugging shouldn't be a problem.

I agree that for a high dollar gaming computer that's being bought by someone who gives a damn, then they might be willing to check and change an airfilter every few months. And thats assuming the PC has some sort of 'check engine' idiot light for the filter replacement, which would be technically very easy to do.

But your average computer user spending $300-$500 on a desktop commodity will not be bothered with it. And the manufacturers know this. No one wants a computer that needs regular hardware maintenance. (I can see it now: Salesman: "Do you smoke? You do? then you'll have to change the filter every month." Customer: "Hey, dont judge me!")

And the current design of most desktop boxes lets them live for about 3-5 years. And in an industry that thrives on selling the newer and shinier toys, 3-5 years is good enough.

And the current design of most desktop boxes lets them live for about 3-5 years. And in an industry that thrives on selling the newer and shinier toys, 3-5 years is good enough.

I guess I'm not the norm than.. I keep mine going as long as something major doesn't happen, or technology doesn't take a giant leap into the future. I don't spend woppin' bucks on a computor so you might say mine are fairly inexpensive.... and they last a lot longer that 3-5 years. MOF I bet if we took a poll on how old the computors are used on this board the majority would be over 5 years unless they are in the biz or gaming. I just don't have the kind of money to toss into a bigger, faster, speedier machine. So I'm going to keep putting band aids on the one I have until it has a major hemorage.... And I bet I'm not that unusual.. And pressurizing the case is a best way to go..... :)

Guest tx2sturgis

I don't spend woppin' bucks on a computor so you might say mine are fairly inexpensive.... and they last a lot longer that 3-5 years. MOF I bet if we took a poll on how old the computors are used on this board the majority would be over 5 years unless they are in the biz or gaming. I just don't have the kind of money to toss into a bigger, faster, speedier machine. So I'm going to keep putting band aids on the one I have until it has a major hemorage....

I think I'm not making my point very well. I will try again and then your on your own.

The common computers that most people buy today are a commodity. In every way, hardware, operating system, and software, most are designed to become obsolete and unreliable or unusable as they age. I'm not saying they will all die at 48 or 60 or 72 months. But the manufacturer wants you to walk in and buy another one in a year or two, so they make sure that the machine is NOT going to last 25 years like a car. Its a disposable product.

If you are willing to do some extra-curricular activities, you can get a few more years out of them, by adding or replacing components. This is where the aftermarket for hardrives, power supplies, RAM, video cards, etc comes in.

I have 2 old eMacs that work fine. But as good as they were in 2004-5, they are not as good now. I mean, they still work, but a lot of new apps wont run on them now, because the OS is getting old.

They were also made during the years of the great 'capacitor plague', (which COULD be whats affecting your Dell of the same vintage) and they have some minor issues beginning to crop up.

From Wikipedia (Capacitor plague):

Faulty capacitors have been discovered in motherboards as old as Socket 7 (1996) and have affected equipment manufactured up to at least 2007. The motherboard companies assembled and sold boards with faulty caps sourced from other manufacturers (see below). Major vendors such as Intel, Dell and HP were affected.[5] Circa 2005, Dell spent some US $150 million replacing motherboards entirely and another $150 million on the logistics of determining whether a system is in need of replacement. HP reportedly purged its product line in 2004. The motherboards and power supplies in Apple iMac G5s[6] and some eMacs[7] were also affected.

But my point is, these things are products that are DESIGNED to to have a relatively short life, like a cell phone.

If you are able to take one into the 7-10 year range, then more power to you.

Good luck.

Edited by tx2sturgis

I guess I'm not making my point very well. I will try again and then your on your own.

The common computers that most people buy today are a commodity. In every way, hardware, operating system, and software, most are designed to become obsolete and unreliable or unusable as they age. I'm not saying they will all die at 48 or 60 or 72 months. But the manufacturer wants you to walk in and buy another one in a year or two, so they make sure that the machine is NOT going to last 25 years like a car. Its a disposable product.

If you are willing to do some extra-curricular activities, you can get a few more years out of them, by adding or replacing components. This is where the aftermarket for hardrives, power supplies, RAM, video cards, etc comes in.

I have 2 old eMacs that work fine. But as good as they were in 2004-5, they are not as good now. I mean, they still work, but a lot of new apps wont run on them now, because the OS is getting old.

They were also made during the years of the great 'capacitor plague', (which COULD be whats affecting your Dell of the same vintage) and they have some minor issues beginning to crop up.

From Wikipedia (Capacitor plague):

Faulty capacitors have been discovered in motherboards as old as Socket 7 (1996) and have affected equipment manufactured up to at least 2007. The motherboard companies assembled and sold boards with faulty caps sourced from other manufacturers (see below). Major vendors such as Intel, Dell and HP were affected.[5] Circa 2005, Dell spent some US $150 million replacing motherboards entirely and another $150 million on the logistics of determining whether a system is in need of replacement. HP reportedly purged its product line in 2004. The motherboards and power supplies in Apple iMac G5s[6] and some eMacs[7] were also affected.

But my point is, these things are products that are DESIGNED to to have a relatively short life, like a cell phone.

If you are able to take one into the 7-10 year range, then more power to you.

Good luck.

Listen, let me put it as clear as I can.... My original thought/statement was to pressurize the case or cabinet to reduce dirt and dust. Not to get into a lenghty debate on whether or not a computor will last ten years or ten seconds. That's not the point. A cleaner computor will run better than a dirty one. If you want to play 'yes but' go ahead, however this discussion is over as far as I concerned. I'm sorry it had to end this way.

Guest tx2sturgis
Listen, let me put it as clear as I can.... My original thought/statement was to pressurize the case or cabinet to reduce dirt and dust. Not to get into a lenghty debate on whether or not a computor will last ten years or ten seconds. That's not the point. A cleaner computor will run better than a dirty one. If you want to play 'yes but' go ahead, however this discussion is over as far as I concerned. I'm sorry it had to end this way.

In post number 52 you asked:

"Which brings something to mind. Why don't these computor companies install a filtered cooling fan that blows into the CPU and pressurizes the case rather than one that sucks all the dirt and dust into it. Just keep an eye on the filter and change it out when it gets dirty. Seems to me anyway that it would eliminate all the dust problems.... "

And I was explaining WHY they dont do those things. They dont want the computer to last a long time. No need to go postal, nothing has 'ended' (except this line of discussion perhaps)....and I'm not going anywhere.

:happy34:

Edited by tx2sturgis