IGNORED

a real good penetrant...

mbrood

Some of you might appreciate this. Machinist's Workshop magazine tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts. This was specifically addressed to rusted, other material results may vary

The results are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist, Bud Baker.

They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

Penetrating oil ..... Average load

None ...................... 516 pounds

WD-40 ................... 238 pounds

PB Blaster ............... 214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ......... 127 pounds

Kano Kroil .............. 106 pounds

ATF-Acetone mix.......53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one particular test. Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results.

Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.

Somtimes grandpa's solution still holds water...

I mixed up a bunch of that stuff a couple of years ago and a year or so later was wondering what that red stuff was that was dripping from my cabinet.

Yup, tha'ts what it was alright. Potent stuff

I've passed this info on to some friends also.

Steve

Many of us swear by WD-40 although not originally desinged as a penetrant, it does have those qualities. Moreover, it won't hurt rubber or plastic (for the most part). It's original intended purpose was to act as a moisture repellant.

Good info here though.

Thats good to know ...

Acetone and ATF to loosen nuts...

Acetone and ground ABS for glue..."Marcarl?"

I'll have to try it out, but to be honest, I'm kind of a "right now" guy...

Ya know, there isn't rusted nut that I've found, that a cutting tourch couldn't fix.... and That, my friends, requires ZERO torque...LOL

:smash2::eek:

Edited by CaptainJoe

Many of us swear by WD-40 although not originally desinged as a penetrant, it does have those qualities. Moreover, it won't hurt rubber or plastic (for the most part). It's original intended purpose was to act as a moisture repellant.

Good info here though.

here is some info for WD-40

http://www.wd40.com/about-us/history/

tells about how it got its name in the beginning