IGNORED

jumps after setting a while

Hi all, my 03 venture has always jumped when I first put it in gear after sitting over night. The clutch fluid is full, I have "pumped" the clutch before putting it in gear, no change. It is like all the oil is pushed out of the clutch disks and plates while it is sitting for a while. Once I take off, no more problems for the rest of the day. I installed the PCW spring kit and all new disks. Should I be concerned??

Wayne

No, do not be concerned unless the jump is significant enough to move the bike more than an inch or so. A little stiction in a wet clutch after sitting is quite normal. If you want to avoid it, just start it in gear with the clutch in. Of course, with the RSV you must have the side stand up to do this.

Goose

Thank you Goose, I am thinking about retireing the end of Dec. Looking to do some traveling come spring. I want to be sure everything on the bike is ready.

Wayne

Although the condition is generally normal, it can be aggravated by slight air in the fluid or very old fluid. You did not say how long it has been since the last change, but it needs to be done every two years. Even if it is relatively fresh, I'd suggest you change it now just to maybe flush out any minor air bubbles might be in there.

You are not really all that far away from DFW - you are always welcome to ride that bike up here and we can check it all over and do whatever general maintenance you need.

Goose

I had a 2000 Venture with 86K and now have Midnight Venture with 93k and I know what you are talking about. I do as stated above I warm it up when real cold then turn it off a second and start it in gear. I don't think letting it jump really hurts anything but I prefer not to because it seems like the bike doesn't like it and I try and treat my bike the best I can because I abuse it enough when it's warm. The Ventures are tuff machines but why not protect it all you can!