IGNORED

going to see the doctor

oldgoat

well i been haveing terrible knee pain in both knees. my left knee has been operated on over 17 times in just about as many years. there is now bone on bone. last night it tried to lock up? never had that before? heard a loud pop? now lots of pain.

im going in for some injections. some xrays. and a possible MRI.

i have been trying to get the doctor to replace this bad left knee. ever since the workers comp accident to it. im still fighting that case. of coure the doctor says your too young im 53 to have a total knee replacement? lets just keep doing the injections.

well i got news for him. its my body my insurance company pays the bill. so lets get er done. no one should have to suffer if there is a better fix out there. granted a total knee replacement scares the crap out of me. like can i ride again? should i sell the venture and find a smaller bike?. it,s been over a year and a half and i have not taken the venture out for no more then 100 miles in that year and a half.

im frustrated broke and just want to feel good again.

get a bike i can handle. and maybe make that last run?

well thanks for letting me get this out. off to see the doctor.

If I were you I'd find a new doc. In 2008 I tripped, fell and broke both my left knee and right ankle. I was 34 at the time. The 1st doc I saw would only fix my ankle. The second doc found the broken knee, albeit 6 mons after I fell. Took an MRI to find it. The type of break I had was consistent with an age related break of someone about 10-15 yrs older than me in perfect health. Taking into account my health history (I have cerebral palsy and overweight) he still felt I was a little young but told me to take better care of myself :rotf: and my knee might last another 10 years at best. What I'm trying to say is there is no right or wrong age to have joint replacements or other age related illnesses. It's how we live day to day and how our individual bodies work. Get a second and third opinion about your knees. A good doc will help you understand why things need to be this way or that. I wish you the best and hope things start looking up for you soon. :fingers-crossed-emo

I am 72 and have been riding with two artificial knees since November 2004, and am doing fine. I realize you are in your mid 50's, but given you are on bone on bone, your knees will negatively impact ALL your skeletel structure. My left had 9 surgeries for staff infection in 1993 and I ended up with lots of scar tissue, same original knee, but my gate was off and that wore the right knee. So they were both replaced at the same time, which I recommend if they are both bad and your general health is good. There is no more pain nor difficulty in a double replacement at the same time over doing one at a time, ... EXCEPT: when you do one you will dread more doing the other. I was walking on parallel bars the second day; goind 10 steps at home with double hand rails, tossing my walker (front wheeled) up before I started on my 5th day. I fought for all the PT I could get, and did get 1.5 years (unusual). It's a hard choice for you I know, but I recommend a go for a double replacement, lots of thereapy, and keep the bike. In 2006 I could not resist any longer (off 6 years), so I bought my 1986 from Squidley just like the 86 I had before but of a different color. THE GOOD NEWS: at first, I needed to put my legs on the front flat boards as soon as I could; now I am even more comfortable on the back pegs as I ride.

So, ... just wanted to share a hope with you; you are in our prayers during this tough time. I do recommend a second opinion.

Jack T

:fingers-crossed-emo

Hey James, I'm going in on Feb 9th for my knee replacement. Just do it. Im 56 and I too tried to wait it out. Pain is just too much now. Sucks the life out of you. Im actually looking forward to this. And if it works out I'm doing the other knee as well later.

xrays shows the knee shifted? out side of knee is where the bone is rubbing the most. so im becomming knocked knee. we talked it over did the injections. orderd a MRI and sent in a request and a referal. for knee replacement to medicade and medicare. this can take about a month or better for approval. docotor says the right knee, is compensating for the gate from the left knee problem. some injury in there. more then likely some torn cartlage? or menscuis? he can work on that one with out replacement but that left knee is just not going to hold up. so he wants to do it.

now its just the waiting game.

well i went back in today and got a brace for the left knee.MRI was done that will take a couple days to come back with the results. as i was walking out of that jack hammer truck. i over heard the lady say wow did you see that mans poor knee all them operations and stuff looks like the man had a wild chainsaw operator in there, lots of scar tissue.total acl repair screws and a donor achiles tendon to make that ACL from back in 1992 is about the only thing holding that mans knee together, then she hushed up?

as for the 2 to 3 month i live in IL the state is broke. and dealing with insurance is real fun. so i guees knee injections and morphine pills are what they consider a good idea. till they get approval.? it has been rainning all night and all day today and them pills are the only think keeping me moving today. the knee brace is nice and comfortable. give a feeling of stability. so with my cane my pills the brace. i guess im doing the best i can? i been online checking out the way they do these knee operations it looks easy but the PT is aggressive. i just want some of my life style back.

my daughter has been looking for a trike kit for the old 84 venture.

so far cheapest she found was around $1900 she said dad when that workers comp settlement comes in and you pay off the balance on the car you should have around 4k left if you want to fix the bike and place that on it she will pay half. so i at least have some hope to look forward too. or if im lucky i could sell the 84 and find someone with a bike that has the voyager kit on it cheap . its just a dream. but hey it keeps me going.

quote: its just a dream. but hey it keeps me going.

as tough as it seems right now for you you still have the right attitude as in your last sentence. Without dreams or hope life can get pretty dull in a hurry. Hang in there and if you get down too much we'll be here to lift you up. :080402gudl_prv:

Larry