IGNORED

Fuel tank front mount threads

I've recently purchased a 99 RSV and had to replace the main wiring harness. Well, I've been successful at that job, but when I took the fuel tank off the right front bolt that mounts the tank to the frame had been broken off by the former owner. I managed to get the broken bolt out of the frame. But, when I bought a replacement bolt and tightened the tank back on, my bolt also broke before it was tightened on the tank. So, the threads inside the frame are obviously royally screwed up.

Any insight into whether this is a replaceable piece or will I need to re-thread the existing mount? If replaceable, any idea what the part number would be and/or where I would find it?

:confused24:

Thanks!

- Michael

"Ideally" when installing the tank mount bolts, you would be able to hand tighten them almost all the way before having to torque onto them. If you can't seem to get the bolts in most of the way by hand, there is seriously something wrong 'somewhere'..

It could be as simple as not having the tank lined up properly, or worse, the threads are so munged up that you simply can't a bolt properly started.

good news, a good machinist should be able to tap you some new holes and provide you with the proper bolts to match.

Since this has happened to you twice, more investigation is required before you're caught out on the road with a late breaking bolt..

Been a while since I've pulled my tank off but I think the threads you are referring too are probably taped into the frame. If you can get the broken piece out you could try chasing the threads with the proper size tap or drill and tap to the next usable size metric or std. If worse comes to worse a Helli coil might be necessary.

Been a while since I've pulled my tank off but I think the threads you are referring too are probably taped into the frame. If you can get the broken piece out you could try chasing the threads with the proper size tap or drill and tap to the next usable size metric or std. If worse comes to worse a Helli coil might be necessary.

What Gary said. Run a tap into the hole 1st. If that doesn't fix it or the hole is sloppy then it's time to install a Helli coil.

Larry