IGNORED

How many are Star Touring members?

muaymendez1

I might be biased,,, I'm president of the Columbia, SC chapter.

I've been with STAR about 5 years. I enjoy the bike friends I have made.

Most chapters are open and invitiing. When you get there, make your presence known to the chapter president before the meeting.

(Tell them Mike G in SC sent you. They're sure to say,,, huh?)

Likely you will fit right in. But if you don't "feel the love", try another chapter.

(One of my members moved to another state. He did first try a chapter that didn't seem to throw out the welcome mat. He tried another and found "family" first meeting.)

We meet monthly and have a "sanctioned ride" the following Saturday.

But, we may ride several weekends any given month.

Some chapters are a bit more by the book, mine is pretty casual.

(I've just been pres for a year, previous guy made it casual,, we like it.)

In the last year, STAR national has made an effort to be open and available.

That area and the $48 a year seemed to be the beef (negative) with some folks.

They are involved with a few charities but not pushy. To me, their best charity is the STAR Family Foundation,, which has a purpose to help members (15 mos or more) with hardships.

I've enjoyed STAR. You can PM me or email me ( mikeginsc@bellsouth.net) if you have questions.

And,,,, thanks for asking. There are several STAR members here.

Mike G in SC

What Mike said. Chime in and let them know you are there. I have been with STAR for ten years and have been a chapter officer and up to president. I was also a state director for NC. I put a lot into STAR and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I still support the association and am a member of two different chapter. You get out of it what you put into it and then some.

Enjoy the commaraderie.

:farmer:

I've been a STAR Touring member for three years and am the President of Chapter 186, Contra Costa Ca. We have a great group of people that loves to ride. Our Motto is, "Ride in the sticks with 186", and we do just that. I wouldn't ride as much as I do if I wasn't involved with with this STAR chapter.

Jose,

In STAR chapters, only the president has to own a Yamaha (so I got two just in case! LOL).

In our chapter, I'd say we are about half Yamaha,,,, half Harley,,, half Kawasaki,,, half Honda, and even a Victory or two. It's a good mix.

You'll probably make some very good friends. And it won't be in any competition with your Venture Rider affiliation.

Mike G

Well i will give it a shot and see how it goes. I hang out with the HOG riders now as a guest and cannot be a member for the obvious reason but Star touring diddnt as me the type of bike and the guy inviting me rides a harley ultra.
Edited by Mike G in SC
Can't spell Yamaya right

Jose,

In STAR chapters, only the president has to own a Yamaha (so I got two just in case! LOL).

In our chapter, I'd say we are about half Yamaha,,,, half Harley,,, half Kawasaki,,, half Honda, and even a Victory or two. It's a good mix.

You'll probably make some very good friends. And it won't be in any competition with your Venture Rider affiliation.

Mike G

Actually, as of the beginning of this year, the Presidents aren't required to own a Star motorcycle.

In our chapter we has most of the major manufactures. We even have a couple Scooters. :)

Jose,

I'd say we are about half Yamaha,,,, half Harley,,, half Kawasaki,,, half Honda, and even a Victory or two. .

Mike G

So would that be a "Yamley Kawonda" ????

This post just proves that 5/4ths of the people out there don't understand fractions!:whistling:

Been a Star Touring member about 7 years now, Chapter 482, River Cities, IL (Peoria/Bloomington/Peking etc) we have members from all over the middle of IL. Find the chapter(s) in your area and attend meetings to see if you fit in with the group. I like STAR because they believe in riding sober (no drinking till the days riding is done) and a family oriented. I am also a member of GWRRA, and ride with several other groups from time to time.

I am a member because free membership came with the bike. I haven't met any members or made any rides due to my working every other weekend. So far every meeting and every ride has been on my work day.

I have spoke to the Jax president and at one time I was on the e-mail list. Since I have not ridden or attended any meetings I have been dropped from the list. I will not renew until I retire in 2016. I will then be able to attend the meetings and ride with the group.

Elliott

I am a Chapter president for Star Touring and Riding as well, which in turn brought me here. I Ride with a wonderful group of People, but there are some awesome people on here too. It is like any organization you get what you give. You can attend up to 3 functions before you are asked to Join Star Touring. That does not mean you have to join a particular chapter. It is a lot like here a lot of great people that share a passion. I belong to This Group, Star, American Voyager Association, and frequent some of the Honda websites. Most of the Star Groups that I have been exposed to have been very warm and accepting. Best of Luck! We also are not brand specific my chapter has yamaha, harley, suzuki, victory, honda, kawasaki. I dont care who I ride with as long as they are safe, like to eat, and enjoy good company.

Edited by Solodadof2
edit

I am sargent at arms for this chapter(have no clue as to my function, guess I am supposed to break up the fights)( they never happen, my girlfriend and I realized we are the only members of this chapter that is not on some kind of medication) we are a very informal group, during the non winter months we ride to ice cream joints every other thursday night on the alternate weeks we ride to dinner thursday nights, we also have a club soponsered ride most weekends(usually to some place to eat). I guess officially we are a eating group with a riding disorder. about half of the active members will attend Stardays in any given year. I seem to get a lot more out of the group than I put into it. average age is about 50, pops is 85 still rides a trike has missed a couple meetings due to health but makes most of the rides.

Al

the main concer as with any orther group is that I dont think i have adquate time to devote.

i am a 31 year odl father of 4 working 70 hours and the only provider at home.

This means I value the few times I get to ride.I wasnt looking to join anything but I met a cool guy who has invited me to sit in on tommorows meeting and go along for the ride.

Hannah and I have been members of Chapter 424 in Cleveland, TN for about three years. We rode over to Greeneville, SC to a Meet and Greet there earlier this year. Met some friends from STAR Days in Chattanooga and from Columbia, SC (Cajun and Mike G). Nice folks and have enjoyed our membership.

Did not have a possitive day. The meeting went on way too long and ride started too late. Led by an older lady which looked very unsteady on her bike, dropping her foot on slow turns to keep from dropping.

Stopped on a hwy median to then pull out into 65 mph traffic. turn signals seconds before a turn as if she wasnt sure the turn was the right one tioll the last moment.

Stopped by a bar rest and I couldnt afford anything on the menu. I finnaly got up and excused my self, lost away from home took me 45 min to find my way home once I did i did the best riding I have ever done. Great scenic ride though familiar and unfamiliar territory in my state.

Sorry i went on this venture, but glad that at least I know what its like.

Did not have a possitive day. The meeting went on way too long and ride started too late. Led by an older lady which looked very unsteady on her bike, dropping her foot on slow turns to keep from dropping.

Stopped on a hwy median to then pull out into 65 mph traffic. turn signals seconds before a turn as if she wasnt sure the turn was the right one tioll the last moment.

Stopped by a bar rest and I couldnt afford anything on the menu. I finnaly got up and excused my self, lost away from home took me 45 min to find my way home once I did i did the best riding I have ever done. Great scenic ride though familiar and unfamiliar territory in my state.

Sorry i went on this venture, but glad that at least I know what its like.

I don't think that was a typical STAR ride. When time allows you might try a different chapter.

Sounds like there was some positive to it, remember if other chapters are like mine we will allow anyone in the group that has the desire to host a ride try it. Keeping in mind that person also has to demonstrate the ability to do so safely. Being a road captain in any ride is a huge responsibility and is not for everyone. Group riding is not for everyone, our group has become close enough that we can talk about a ride and what might have been good or bad about the experience. I am curious that you did not speak about your experience with the people themselves, would like to hear about that. Send me a message.

As noted, what you describe was not typical STAR club ride.

While we may not quite resemble Shriners in a parade, most STAR chapters ride very organized with safety as much of a concern as enjoying the ride it's self.

If you are still interested, please do look at another chapter.

I have never been a road captain but have lead a few rides. i will not move into a lane until i am certain it is clear either because of lack of cars or because the sweep rider has cleared it for me. Today was full of riders trying to get around becasue the leader changed lanes while cars were right behind.

Another big thing is on a 2 lane rd . Sign says right lane ends in 200 ft. Why not start your change or singnal early and allow sweep to clear the lane. Again another hairy situation I did not like.

i will take your word for it and try 1 more chapter before making a definitive decision.

SOLODADOF2. i see your point but I disagree that it is a positive that another was able to lead a group when there are new rds and new riders in the group. that is a a poor decision on part of all the members.

Sorry for my rant but as the day gets longer and I keep replaying the day in my mind, I get angrier realizing that some thinsg may have worse outcomes. Glad im ok and hope those guys the best in the future.

I am sargent at arms for this chapter(have no clue as to my function, guess I am supposed to break up the fights)( they never happen, my girlfriend and I realized we are the only members of this chapter that is not on some kind of medication). Al

Allen,

I shared this post with our chapter at our meeting last night.

I got the biggest laugh of the night when I quoted your statement above.

THANKS, Mike G

If it helps, here is a list of STAR Chapters in your area, and links to the NY and PA areas.

http://www.startouring.org/chapterlist.aspx?id=NY

http://www.startouring.org/chapterlist.aspx?id=PA

Mt. Holly, NJ - Chapter 465

Carol Williams

609-351-6405

View Chapter Web Site

catstuw@gmail.com

Central, NJ - Chapter 118

James Geleta

732-309-0851

View Chapter Web Site

jimgtaz@aol.com