IGNORED

Thank You Steve Jobs

Guest tx2sturgis

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to sit on the sidelines and watch from there..........besides, I cant add anything, dont know squat about Jobs or any of those geeks................except that he was filthy rich................:mo money::mo money:

He didn't leave me anything either Lew!!!!

Fight?? Where did I leave that 2x4?? Did I mention I cheat? Ask the convicts......:whistling:

Guest tx2sturgis

While not wanting to get in a fistfight over it, I was around in the IT world before the MAC came out. I have programmed COBOL using a mainframe, but I have also used software on the first PCs that did not require the user to program in basic or any other computer language. For example, Wordstar was a great word processing software used by admin types before the MAC came out. May not have had the ability to choose another font from the program, but a lot of our printers used a wheel (sort of like the Selectric typewriter) and you could swap them out if you wanted a different font.

Yes he drove some innovations. I personnaly was turned off on Apple due to all the problems we had in our computer labs with the Apple IIe. I used to know by heart which chip to replace in the hard drive when it started overwriting the program disks.

All in all, I think technology would have progressed even if Steve Jobs had decided to make his career as a flipper of hamburgers. I also believe that whatever talent I may have, there is someone out there who can do it as well or better than I can.

You are talking mainframes...I'm referring to personal computers for the general public. And what year was that? Since the Apple II came out in 1977, before the IBM PC (which came out in 1981), and you state 'before the mac', are you referring to the actual Macintosh which came out in early 1984? Or do you mean that the PC (1981) came out before the Apple II?(1977)?

From Wikipedia ( IBM Personal Computer):

The original line of PCs were part of an IBM strategy to get into the small personal computer market then dominated by the Commodore PET, Atari 8-bit family, Apple II, Tandy Corporation's TRS-80s, and various CP/M machines.

And yes, I am certain that if there were no Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak, Bill Gates, Henry Ford, or Thomas Edison, yes, one way or another we'd still have technology. The overall effect is stll there. Steve Jobs contributed much to the things we now take for granted.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

I dont have cable TV but I have been made aware that Discover Channel is running a special this Sunday night about Steve Jobs.

iGenius, How Steve Jobs Changed the World.

If some of you can watch that and let me know how it depicts him, I would appreciate it.

Well what about RIM boys with the Black Berry's. Past couple days they have had some troubles and it screws up the Phones, Email, and Messanger, now we have to call the people to see if they got your email. WOW humans interacting.

So what if all these toys were not invited maybe we would not be as busy as we are today, and have time to talk to people..... So would this be a bad thing ??

:stirthepot: :sign20:

Brad

:rasberry::rasberry: I had 2, read it 2, disc drives....:rotf: Couldn't afford a 20mb hd till about 89.:rotf:...

20 mb hd!!! WOW!

thought i had it made when i picked up my first data set.

you have to remember them a casset recorder for a computer you could get 3 min. tapes for them to i was just as happy when i found out the cheap tapes 30min. ones could be used

Guest tx2sturgis
Nope, Didn't care too. Your thanking the wrong person though.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/14/tech/innovation/dennis-ritchie-obit-bell-labs/index.html

Nope. Dennis Ritchie deserves to be remembered ALSO. Not INSTEAD of Steve Jobs.

Steve Jobs brought interesting and fun products to market that were all designed, built, and marketed by experts. For that I express thanks.

The fact is that no ONE person brought all of modern technology to us. Same thing when it comes to transportation, art, culture, or music. Every leader in each field stood on the shoulders of the giants that came before.

Thanking Steve is also thanking the choices he made in choosing the right engineers and designers....and the fact is, he brought Apple Inc from near bankruptcy to being a very successful business. And I use and admire Apple products.

I am NOT thanking the wrong person anymore that you are riding the wrong bike, typing on the wrong computer, or sitting in the wrong chair.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Thank you for the "other side" posts, people. I find many people diefied Steve Jobs. I have done a ton of reading about the Computer History Museum at Carnegie Melon. Many, many things were invented, started, thought about and tried before Steve Jobs OR Bill Gates was around. :)

Steve Jobs must have been a good guy... the Westboro Baptists are going to his funeral !

http://www.sync-blog.com/sync/2011/10/westboro-baptist-church-plans-to-picket-jobs-funeral.html

OH No. Like tx2sturgis, I hate to see a man kicked after he has already passed. And especially by this bunch of Misdirected Hypocritical Bunch of Rejects. This is nothing more than a media eye move by them, and they will get it.

Of all the things that I have ever heard of in my 33 yrs of trying to live for the Lord and doing a not so good job of it, but trying. This has to be the most ignorant thing that I have ever actually seen/witnessed, done by the Human race.

Aggravated,

Fuzzy

PS;Yes, Christians get aggravated to, what makes the difference is what I do about it.

A good debate here. I have somewhat learned a few things. I am not a computer kooroo, and can hardly even type.

But I think that the news media always over do the small things in some people's passing/death. Be it a TV celebrity or anyone (Daniel Boone) whom the public has known,or heard about for a while. I believe that Freebird is trying to say that sometimes a lot of credit is given in the wrong direction just to get the promotion of what ever may be had. This is done through these very useful and nice computers and especially the news media, shame on them all.

I believe that Tx2sturgis is just wanting to give credit to Steve Jobs for what he has done for a lot of people and make mention of it here. Since no one else had. So thanks Tx2sturgis.

I agree with all here to some extent from what I know. I have gotten so sick of hearing so many people/things of life/holidays, being degraded by the news media. I have a hard time watching all the 60 minute news. I mostly like to watch the weather, and they even make a big deal out of the weather sometimes, scaring people for no reason. Other times not enough coverage to even get help to people whom need it. It is according to where you live if you get coverage or help. Some of the poor people in rural Virginia area did not even hardly get any coverage from the earthquake, and some lost all they had worked for all their life with no insurance.

Most of my heroes come from the Bible first of all. Then there are the soldiers of war, whom I honor and respect. But people whom have made a difference in my life personally, I will always remember these for sure as heroes. I remember that my uncle Billy helped and showed me how to ride a bicycle. I will never forget that. My Dad took me squirrel hunting for the first time and I had a little Daisy BB gun.

A lot of these media people whom I have not or probably will never meet, do not mean that much to me.

Ya, a lot of folks have donated a lot to all from their life, and I am grateful for that. Thanks to Steve Jobs for what he did. Theodore Roosevelt for what he did. Daniel Boone, for what he did. Bill Gates for what he has done. John Wayne for what he did. Clint Eastwood for what he has done.

Some things in life now a days are given to much credit in the media, others that are really important to many, and should be to all, is not even given the time of day.

Regards to all,

Fuzzy

Edited by FuzzyRSTD

Guest tx2sturgis

Fuzzy got it right. I agree and I even hit the thanks button....which I dont do that often.

And the article on Cracked.com has some merit, but its also picked out some examples that are taken out of context...plus its an article thats about 20 months old. Like I said, there are LOTS of articles on the internet that deal with the various misbehaviors in the Apple world.

I work for a large company and I dont think everything they do is always the right move.

When I credit someone for a 'job' well done, it doesnt mean I think the person or company is perfect.

Should we start a debate about the worldwide environmental wreckage caused by the motorcycle manufacturers? Aluminum, iron, and copper mining is very destructive to the earth. And your motorcycle has a LOT of those metals in it. Not to mention the emissions from the factories that built the bikes, the emissions from the tailpipes, ( most large bikes pollute MORE than a car per mile, not less) and the eventual decay of the bikes in a junkyard somewhere, with related contamination of the soil. And this has been going on for many decades.

From Wikipedia (Mining):

"Environmental issues can include erosion, formation of sinkholes, loss of biodiversity, and contamination of soil, groundwater and surface water by chemicals from mining processes. In some cases, additional forest logging is done in the vicinity of mines to increase the available room for the storage of the created debris and soil.[26] Contamination resulting from leakage of chemicals can also affect the health of the local population if not properly controlled. Extreme examples of pollution from mining activities include coal fires, which can last for years or even decades, producing massive amounts of environmental damage."

Wow. But I sure like riding that 'iron horse'!

I could continue, but I will spare the self-deprecating facts.

So...it appears that we all may be living in that 'glass house'

"I use technology thats OK...cuz I like it, but the technology that YOU use is not good."

Or:

"Do as I say, not as I do."

The internet world is full of writers that type away on a computer that uses LOTS of chinese parts, (hard drives, mouse, speakers, monitors, motherboards, power supplies) and they just LOVE to blast Apple about its policies.

When you begin to think you are not part of the problem, look in the mirror to see who is.

:2cents:

Edited by tx2sturgis

Let me just say up front that I'm not an Apple user, I prefer a PC. I don't have an iPod I have an MP3 player. I don't use an iPhone I have a Droid.

That being said, the world is a much different place today because of Steve Jobs' INNOVATIONS. His forward thinking cause other technology companies to keep up and try to get ahead of Apple. The result, we have all benefited because of him. Also, I don't care what kind of person he was, I didn't work for him, I didn't know him, I had never met him. Steve Jobs change the world. My :2cents:

Another one passed away but was very quiet. Dennis Ritchie passed away last week as well but not all the fancy headlines.

I am not knocking either one just pointing out some are more in the limelight than others that is all.

Brad

Right Brad your just trying to cause trouble, BTW I forgot to tell you yesterday I hit a big pot hole on the left side of the car, maybe when you get home you can take it for a ride to the gas station :innocent: and where is my phone cord? think its dead so if I dont call, you will know I didnt find the cord, and Brooke wants to know when she can have her phone back, one more thing dont for get Brookes appt tomorrow, hope you know the time ,I dont and she dont remember, ok see you tomorrow :bighug:

Right Brad your just trying to cause trouble, BTW I forgot to tell you yesterday I hit a big pot hole on the left side of the car, maybe when you get home you can take it for a ride to the gas station :innocent: and where is my phone cord? think its dead so if I dont call, you will know I didnt find the cord, and Brooke wants to know when she can have her phone back, one more thing dont for get Brookes appt tomorrow, hope you know the time ,I dont and she dont remember, ok see you tomorrow :bighug:

Wow Brad, it hasn't even got really cold yet!:confused24:

Wow Brad, it hasn't even got really cold yet!:confused24:

Just started to get cold, but also just got home but everything was taken care of when I got here, except for the gas. :rotf:Hoping to get away when it does get cold any suggestions on a warmer climate. :think:

Brad