IGNORED

Thank You Steve Jobs

Guest tx2sturgis

Just started to get cold, but also just got home but everything was taken care of when I got here, except for the gas. :rotf:Hoping to get away when it does get cold any suggestions on a warmer climate. :think:

Brad

Louisiana:cool10:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally took the time yesterday to watch the special on the Discovery Channel, "IGenius". I actually thought that it was pretty well done. It seemed to me that they emphasized the improvements that he made to many products and I was glad to see that he was just given credit for "inventing" so many things that some have claimed that he did. They pointed out that he was, what they called, a "re-inventor". He added his touch to many products and did indeed improve a lot of them. I agree that his contributions to the industry were tremendous and again, thank him for that.

I finally took the time yesterday to watch the special on the Discovery Channel, "IGenius". I actually thought that it was pretty well done. It seemed to me that they emphasized the improvements that he made to many products and I was glad to see that he was just given credit for "inventing" so many things that some have claimed that he did. They pointed out that he was, what they called, a "re-inventor". He added his touch to many products and did indeed improve a lot of them. I agree that his contributions to the industry were tremendous and again, thank him for that.

I saw it a coupe of nights ago to Freebird. I agree, a "re-inventor" in deed. And a long with some bad illness in his life to add to things that he had to live with as he progressed. I saw that he did, "go out on a limb", sort of speak, at least twice. Takes courage and and lot of knowledge to be able to that and come out winning.

Fuzzy :thumbsup2:

Guest tx2sturgis

Here is the link to the 60 minutes program about Steve Jobs.

I suppose many of you have seen this...but since I am rarely ever in front of a TV, I had not.

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/60_minutes/video/?pid=FO5wx5gIiNDsfPsOY4I62LOAS23_jmiK&vs=homepage&play=true

The last segment of the broadcast has a touching story of how the iPad is changing the lives of autistic children and their parents and teachers.

Thank you Steve.

:happy34:

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

And yet another tribute:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/insidenova/2011/10/steve-jobs-the-man-that-changed-the-world.html

If you dont wish to read the whole article, here are 2 relevant paragraphs:

Finding a comparison to the influence of Steve Jobs might require going back to the 15th century. That's when Johannes Gutenberg, a German blacksmith, introduced the moveable type printing press, which is widely regarded as the most important invention of the modern period. The printing press made books affordable, spread learning to the masses, and laid the material basis for the modern knowledge-based economy.

Unlike Gutenberg, Steve Jobs didn't invent the computer. He didn't even invent the personal computer. But with the introduction of the Macintosh in 1984, with its intuitive graphical interface, a user-friendly device called a mouse, an affordable price, and a brilliant marketing effort, Steve Jobs put the power of the computer into the hands of the masses, ultimately changing forever almost every aspect of the way we live, work, create, communicate, innovate, get and share information, and spend our leisure time.

Guest tx2sturgis
http://autos.yahoo.com/news/latest-steve-jobs-mystery-revealed--how-he-drove-without-license-plates.html

Steve Jobs WAS all that and a bag of chips, check this out. Real nice. Especially how he parked in the handicapped spot. What a P.O.S.

Thats the best you got? Ok...we got it...you dont like the guy...

Many of us probably would not have liked him personally either. But you DO like using the products he brought to market. I can tell.

:happy34:

I use no Apple products. I just think the man was an ass. He did bring many nice devices to market. Did a nice job of copying the Sony Walkman. I guess....how many generations of those things are there? I guess if you can't get something right, you just release a new generation. I just sit back a laugh at all the Lemmings that run out and spend all that money on a new Iphone every year. I just don't believe in putting up on a pedestal and worshiping him as some poeple do. Kind of wierd to act like that. Apple products are no better than any other out there, just over priced. Just my .02 cents. I will no longer post to this thread, just REAL tired of seeing it. Hopefully it gets locked and buried in an Icoffin like it deserves.

Oh and as far as I know....Texas is a state......not a republic...................

I use no Apple products. I just think the man was an ass. He did bring many nice devices to market. Did a nice job of copying the Sony Walkman. I guess....how many generations of those things are there? I guess if you can't get something right, you just release a new generation. I just sit back a laugh at all the Lemmings that run out and spend all that money on a new Iphone every year. I just don't believe in putting up on a pedestal and worshiping him as some poeple do. Kind of wierd to act like that. Apple products are no better than any other out there, just over priced. Just my .02 cents. I will no longer post to this thread, just REAL tired of seeing it. Hopefully it gets locked and buried in an Icoffin like it deserves.

Oh and as far as I know....Texas is a state......not a republic...................

:sign yeah that:

tired of reading about jobs when there aren't any around...:bang head:

Guest tx2sturgis

But you use products that were introduced on the market by Apple. And as I already pointed out, the world wide web (not to be confused with the internet) was developed on the computers that were introduced by Steve and his company called NeXT when he was not working for Apple.

You cant use modern computer technology without using things that were introduced or perfected by Apple or Steve Jobs. Thats all I'm saying. I have no interest in having a pissing contest with you. You have a passionate hatred towards Apple and Steve. Ok...we got that.

I dont worship the man...never did. But I respect his accomplishments and innovative thinking, that helped get us where we are today.

And as far as my signature, 'Republic of Texas' is a simple reference to a time in the mid 1800's when Texas WAS an independent Republic, before annexation.

And if you dont like this thread, why do you keep clicking on it?

:think:

Guest tx2sturgis
Bull. That's blatantly NOT true.

You might disagree, and its your right to be wrong.

Here is one thing that was invented on a NeXT computer: The World Wide Web.

The worlds FIRST website, and the first web browser, were built on NeXT computers, which were a product of Steve Jobs's company NeXT. Tim Berners-Lee did it using a NeXT workstation in 1990.

Also, GUI's with a menu-bar and mouse were introduced to the market on Apple computers.

From Wikipedia: (window-computing)

"The idea was developed at the Stanford Research Institute (led by Douglas Engelbart). Their earliest systems supported multiple windows, but there was no obvious way to indicate boundaries between them (such as window borders, title bars, etc).

Research continued at Xerox Corporation's Palo Alto Research Center / PARC (led by Alan Kay). They used overlapping windows.

During the 1980s the term "WIMP", which stands for window, icon, menu, pointer, was coined at PARC.

Apple had worked with PARC briefly at that time. Apple developed an interface based on PARC's interface. It was first used on Apple's Lisa and later Macintosh computers. Microsoft was developing office applications for the "Mac" at that time. Some speculate that this gave them access to Apple's OS before it was released and thus influenced the design of the windowing system in what would eventually be called Windows."

Edited by tx2sturgis

I remember way back when, I had an Atarii 800. I think it had a whopping 48 k memory....it was a big deal to have a 1mb hard drive!

it was around that time...or shortly after that a guy at work was telling me abut his Commodor...and how it had "windows" type of gui interface.

He was basically telling me Commodor had it first and Apple "stole" the idea from them.

Not saying yes or no...just this thread made me remember those comments.

Guest tx2sturgis

From Wikipedia (macintosh):

The first Macintosh was introduced by Apple's then-Chairman Steve Jobs on January 24, 1984; it was the first commercially successful personal computer to feature a mouse and a graphical user interface rather than a command-line interface.

From comodore.ca:

[July 1985] Commodore unveils the new Amiga 1000 at a star-studded gala held at Lincoln Center in New York. It features a multitasking, windowing operating system, using a Motorola 68000 CPU, with 256KB RAM, and 880KB 3.5-inch disk drive, for US$1300.

From wikipedia (amiga 1000):

The A1000, or Commodore Amiga 1000, was Commodore's initial Amiga personal computer, introduced on July 23, 1985 at the Lincoln Center in New York City.

I have a great respect for the legacy Commodore machines...as I do for many other brands of that era, including TRS-80's and Texas Instruments TI-99/4 (and 4a).

I was NOT into Apple computers back then, they were just too pricey for my budget.

And I have barely mentioned Steve Wozniak, who was the brains behind the scenes for the original Apple computers. But he is still very much with us and hopefully will be for many years.

Edited by tx2sturgis

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest tx2sturgis

The US Patent and Trade office is honoring Steve, and his influence, directly, and indirectly, on all our lives. Of course there are still a few of you that steadfastly refuse to acknowledge how much of an impact this man has on our daily lives. And thats the way he wanted it.

http://www.uspto.gov/news/pr/2011/11-67.jsp

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/25/visualized-steve-jobs-and-his-patents-as-showcased-by-the-uspt/

http://www.freshnessmag.com/2011/11/25/us-patent-and-trademark-office-highlights-steve-jobs’s-innovations/

• 2 weeks later...

and once again you try to give Steve Jobs credit for yet one more thing that he wasn't the first to implement. The first App store was actually created by a company named SalesForce about year before Apple first did it.

A kill was put on this thread because people got tired of seeing it at the top. This will be my last reply to it also. The entire thread is just full of information that is incorrect and easily refuted but to be honest, I don't think that anybody on this forum really cares.

• 2 weeks later...