IGNORED

Switching out the rear Avon, The Front ??

Well it is that time again. The Avon Venoms have 11,414 miles on them. I put them on new myself at 4,130 miles on the bike, bought bike new.

I checked the bike after it started feeling kinda squirrely. A strange feeling, almost as if the axle where loose. I checked all the air as usual/tires/shocks/forks, and found no problem.

So then I thought well maybe the rear tire is worse than I thought/previously checked it. So after checking it again this evening, tire must be replaced before any further riding.

I had to lock it up once about a month ago, tractor trailer pulled out in front of me. So I think this could be the cause of the one bad wore spot/about 4 inches long. There is at least one other spot that is somewhat worn also.

My question is this. Should I replace the front also at this mileage (11,414) ?

The front tire is with in about 1/16 " of being down to the tread ware mark in the center. I love these Avon tires. I have always run the Dunlop tires on other bikes. This is the first time for me to change out a set of worn Avon Venoms. That is why I am wondering about the front tire.

I checked some other threads and saw where some have gotten 14,000 miles out of a rear tire. I understand that,riding habits, where you live/road conditions and curves and hills makes a difference in the ware. As I said I am happy with the mileage. But I did not find anything suggesting the front tire change mileage.

Should I replace the front also at this mileage (11,414) ?

Where is the best deal on a rear Avon or both front and rear ?

Also, what about the white walls ? Any issues with these ?

Thanks everyone for your input.

Fuzzy

Edited by FuzzyRSTD

I know you have listed the tread depth, which is very good information, but I have not tried to calculate what your remaining tread is compared to a new tire. However, my experience is that I always get two rear Avon tires to one front (generally 14K/rear, 28K/front. I generally get 2 rear/i front in most brands of tires that I have tested, so the Avon Venom is typical in this wear rate.

Generally, a tire with 1/2 life left really does not look too worn, so your comments make me wonder if your front is wearing much faster than mine do. It may be easier to just go ahead and do both at the same time if you do not want to have to mess with a single front change before the next rear tire is shot. Personally, since I change my own, I do not have any reason to change them before they are down to the wear bars.

Goose

I know you have listed the tread depth, which is very good information, but I have not tried to calculate what your remaining tread is compared to a new tire. However, my experience is that I always get two rear Avon tires to one front (generally 14K/rear, 28K/front. I generally get 2 rear/i front in most brands of tires that I have tested, so the Avon Venom is typical in this wear rate.

Generally, a tire with 1/2 life left really does not look too worn, so your comments make me wonder if your front is wearing much faster than mine do. It may be easier to just go ahead and do both at the same time if you do not want to have to mess with a single front change before the next rear tire is shot. Personally, since I change my own, I do not have any reason to change them before they are down to the wear bars.

Goose

Thanks Goose. I also change out my own, so the front can wait. What do you think of the white walls. Have you heard of any extra issues or some odd issue with the white walls ? Sorry, but I just updated my thread after looking at JC Whittney site. They do have the white walls. But wow, the front is listed as a rear in the size chart, and is higher priced than the rear tire.

Rear is $162.99-- AM42 150/90VB15 Venom Rear

Front is $164.99 sized as this -- AM42 150/80VB16 Venom Rear

Edited by FuzzyRSTD
goofed on prices, fixed it

Always change mine when they get down to 3/32nds tread depth.

3/32" nds is the gap on a penny, between Lincolns head and the edge.

It won't pass inspection past this point and quite frankly it's not worth my life for a $150 rear $114 front.

Edited by CaptainJoe

Not sure what the depth is when level with wear bar?

Have you measured them?

3/32" nds is the gap on a penny, between Lincolns head and the edge

Thanks, Nope not yet Joe. But I will take another look see. Need to do some serious thinking and mind making up here. Thinking of the white walls, maybe.......

Fuzzy

Thanks Goose. I also change out my own, so the front can wait. What do you think of the white walls. Have you heard of any extra issues or some odd issue with the white walls ? Sorry, but I just updated my thread after looking at JC Whittney site. They do have the white walls. But wow, the front is listed as a rear in the size chart, and is higher priced than the rear tire.

Rear is $119.00-- AM42 150/90VB15 Venom Rear

Front is $191.00 sized as this -- AM42 150/80VB16 Venom Rear

Unfortunately, the tires I want to use are not made in WWW sizes for both front and rear. I do not want the narrower front tire, nor do I choose to mount a rear tire on the front of a motorcycle.

In the brands that do make a WWW tire in our size, I have not heard of any special problems with them.

Goose

Unfortunately, the tires I want to use are not made in WWW sizes for both front and rear. I do not want the narrower front tire, nor do I choose to mount a rear tire on the front of a motorcycle.

In the brands that do make a WWW tire in our size, I have not heard of any special problems with them.

Goose

Sorry Goose, I messed up on the prices. I did edit and fix. This was JC Whittney, and I do not know if this the front or not. Says rear, but in the correct size. I have caught JC Whittney up in some very funny typing errors. I will have to call them if I decide to get a front. But the way the billfold feels right now, I will probably be just getting a black wall rear and wait until next time to change front if possible.

JC Whittney does have the wide white wall in the Venoms. You just click on the (change item details) next to the (Add To Cart button) and the white walls will show up. But like you, I would rather have the narrow white walls.

331.73 for a set of Avon venom's at J&P cycles. they guarantee them not to be over two years old. Just had set installed this past Saturday so the price should still be good took less than a week to deliver and mine were less than a year old. Don't remember the date code or the individual prices but i can get them if you want. That price included shipping an taxes.

For me I haven't been happy with Jc Whitney your experience may be better for me they have been slow to ship and if it is back ordered they don't let you know. Also have figured out they don't have much in stock everything I've tried has shipped straight from the manf.

I ordered a starter for an atv an canceled the order 2 hours later but they said it was to late it was in the other guys hands two weeks later a starter showed up a month later a letter wanting there starter back. But they were nice about it mailed me a shipping label dropped it off at the post office. But that's just my opinion of them.

Fuzzy, I've had good luck ordering from Jake Wilson. My last 3 sets have come from them and they were competitive on price. Service was good too. Since I change my own I always change both at the same time and I know I throw a bit of tread away on the front and that's OK. I like the feel of new tires.

Dennis

3/32" nds is the gap on a penny, between Lincolns head and the edge.

It won't pass inspection past this point and quite frankly it's not worth my life for a $150 rear $114 front.

Joe I measured my tread depth as you advised. Thanks......I too have always worn two rear tires to one front. The front tire is a Avon Venom 150-80-16 71H and it measures to the top of old Licoln's head. So I might be replacing both.

331.73 for a set of Avon venom's at J&P cycles. they guarantee them not to be over two years old. Just had set installed this past Saturday so the price should still be good took less than a week to deliver and mine were less than a year old. Don't remember the date code or the individual prices but i can get them if you want. That price included shipping an taxes.

Thanks, I found a good deal at Motosports.com I think it was. I sent them an e-mail. $249.99 with free 3 day shipping. However they are out of stock of the rear tire and I also ask them about the age of their front tires and a better description of the front tire.

Update ; no return e-mail yet. I am ordering from Jake Wilson site.

Fuzzy

Edited by FuzzyRSTD
update

Was that MC motorsports that is a good price. Looked back on my scribble paper and I think had figured 284.00 but sometimes I cant read my writing after a day or two. I had been pleased with J&P service so far and limited on time so I just went with them. Four more days and we get try them out. Good Luck and safe riding.

Thanks, I found a good deal at Motosports.com I think it was. I sent them an e-mail. $249.99 with free 3 day shipping. However they are out of stock of the rear tire and I also ask them about the age of their front tires and a better description of the front tire. there was no speed rating. I do know that Avon makes this exact same tire size in a V rated tire, which I do not want. The tread depth in a V rated is 4.7 mm the H rated is 5.1 mm. The V rated is also just a few thousands less in width I believe.

Fuzzy

I do not know where the tire info in your post came from, but I do not believe it is correct for Avon Venom tires. The information on the Avon web site

http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/venom or

http://www.avonmoto.com/products/cruiser-touring-custom/venom

Shows that the only Venom FRONT tire they have in 150/80-16 is a 71H black wall

They have two REAR tires in 150/90-15, an 80H and a 74V, both back wall.

The tire with part number 4710010 is an Avon Cobra tire, which is a radial tire and not suitable for the RSV or RSTD.

I generally buy my tires from either Jake Wilson or SW Moto Tires. For me, both have always had excellent service, fresh tires, and low prices. But SWMT prices seem to have been creeping up over the last couple of years.

Goose

Edited by V7Goose

150/90B-15 (80H) Avon Venom AM42 Rear Motorcycle Tire Black Wall - 2007 Yamaha XVZ1300CT Royal Star Tour Dlx (Rear)

Part # 1245550008

$136.99 In Stock Heavy/Oversize $136.99

150/80-16 (71H) Avon Venom AM41 Front Motorcycle Tire Black Wall - 2007 Yamaha XVZ1300CT Royal Star Tour Dlx (Front)

Part # 1245460006

$131.99 In Stock Heavy/Oversize $131.99

Total = $268.98 In stock and ready to ship free. Receive in three days from Jake Wilson.

Thanks everyone for your input and help on this issue. I will buy the tires from Jake Wilson. I had never heard of them. So simple to find and order tires from the Jake Wilson site.

I will always use them from now on. Although I have not placed the order yet, I went through the order procedure and finding the correct tires. I will order in the near future. Ordering tires has always been a pain for me. So many sites are confusing and lack good information.

Thanks everyone for all your gracious help.

Fuzzy :thumbsup2: