IGNORED

motorcycle insurance

nowindinmyhair

I have Progressive, I don't where their coverage extends. Don't really know how they compare - my (independent) agent just underwrote it with them. Seemed reasonable enough. Also I think GEICO writes motorcycle insurance - but then again, I don't know if they "cross" the border or not.

Out of the three big companies I know in Florida, Geico-Progressive-State Farm, I found Progressive to be the cheapest for the coverage I need. I fall into a seperate category since I need a large amount of coverage to be able to cross the taxiways at the airport to get to my Station.

I fall into a seperate category since I need a large amount of coverage to be able to cross the taxiways at the airport to get to my Station.

I guess!!! They probably attached a writer from Loyds of London for that. Wouldn't want to be daydreaming when ya come to the end of your daily commute. Whats that black tire mark on top of your helmet?:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::D

Will be shopping for insurance in Ontario in the next few weeks. Anyone know of any dedicated (or otherwise) insurance companies with good rates ?

I use the Broker "murtaugh smith" in the link given above....He bounces me between Jevco and Kingsway insurance, those are the two major players that he deals with.. Each year it seems the other one is cheaper so I switch..

Hey I just bought an 86 a few months back, where are you in Ontario.? I am down in the Niagara region..

I've been with North City for a few years now and still am. I've also heard some good things about Sutherland. Hope that helps, good luck!

Margaret Mieczkowski R.I.B.(ONT)

Sales Team Leader

North City General Insurance

416-225-6000 ext 224

1-888-892-7176

Registered Insurance Broker

John Sutherland and Sons Limited

Phone: 1-519-822-0160 ex 233

Fax: 1-519-822-0698

Email: dmenegotto@sutherlandinsurance.com

Web site: www.sutherlandinsurance.com

Best rates I could find last year was at Dalton Timmines in Ancaster, they insure through Kingsway but were $200.00 cheaper than my former broker who also insured through Kingsway, go figure. Next year I'll look again, seems deals can be had in this business.

Carl

We just had this very same discussion on the Canadian Motorcycle Cruisers site, and the majority of the Ontario riders there use Riders Plus, a motorcycles, cruisers only insurance company. I checked their site out, and may be switching to them as well. I'm currently with The Personal, and pay $685/yr for a 84 Venture Royale, PLPD only, Riders Plus on-line quote for me was $516/yr full coverage. That's almost a $170/yr savings, I'm going to phone them on Monday, have 1 or 2 questions, if satisfied will be switching in a heartbeat.

http://www.ridersplus.com/home.html

Jim

Best rates I could find last year was at Dalton Timmines in Ancaster, they insure through Kingsway but were $200.00 cheaper than my former broker who also insured through Kingsway, go figure. Next year I'll look again, seems deals can be had in this business.

Carl

I too switched to Dalton, but they insured me with Aviva Eite. Did not save me any money but got full coverage for the same amount of money. Also did the same for Naugh-T's bike.

Brad

• 2 months later...

OK folks. Thanks to all who made excellent suggestions re:insurance.

I shopped around quite a bit (OK you caught me, I didn't shop until March !) and I found quite a difference in pricing.

I got my class M when I was 16 or 17 years old and always said I would get back into a big street bike. But unfortunately, I did not have motorcycle insurance in the last 5 years (actually, it was more like 20). None of the companies/brokers I called would accept my ATV as a motorcycle.

My driving record is spotless .... no tickets etc.. ever !

The cheapest, by far, was Riders Plus. The most expensive came in at a whopping $1800/year, PLPD only. Riders Plus came in at about 1/2 of that and that includes comprehensive coverage. And in a year, they will recognize my 20+ years clean record and the rate will reduce by about another half.

Hope this helps anyone looking for insurance in Ontario. Riders Plus are on the web.

Whatever insurance you get make SURE of your coverage, ie. what is and isn't covered. After my accident last October I was shocked to find out that I was not covered for personal injury by State Farm. Yes, I know it's my job to verify my coverage but I have been with the same agent for over 18 years and this was my 4th bike with him. Come to find out State Farm does not write personal injury in Mississippi, or so they told me AFTER the accident. I was flabbergasted. Thank God I had good health insurance that has paid most of the bills. I was worried that State Farm would cancel me after the accident but it really doesn't matter because when I get my new bike I won't be using them. By the way this is the same agent that told me I would never need Flood insurance. We had 5 feet of water in the house for Katrina. BUT, I can't change because it's almost impossible to get homeowners insurance right now, if you don't have it or want to change. But when I can believe me State Farm will be out of my life!!!

Guest Popeye

Beware of sub-standard insurance !!

I had a policy with AAA many years ago, they had the best price.

I read the policy when it came & learned that I was insured for ridiculously small amounts, and none in some categories.

When shopping for insurance, compare identical coverage.

Personal injury [including driver], property damage amount, collision & deductible, etc., etc.

Read the policy BEFORE you pay anything.

There is no such thing as a reputable insurance company.

That would be an oxy-moron.

Guest Bigin

Have State Farm for many years, and agent just told me as I was complaining about rates, that he would suspend my insurance for winter when I do not ride, but for no less than 30 days at a time.

Never heard of this before and should have asked before, but good to know!