IGNORED

Thought it would be a cage to take me out

22lyons

Got off work and hit the interstate at 11:30 last night. My entrance ramp lane becomes the exit only lane so i stayed put. I noticed a semi to my left ahead of me but no problem since my lane is an exit only. I went down to adjust my coat with my left hand as i came up beside the semi. As i was bringing my left hand back up to the bars i saw a set of headlights in my left mirror. at first i thought i cleared the semi but then realized i had not cleared the semi. in a flash an hd ultra blows between me and the semi splitting the lane. it happened so fast. I always thought it would be a cage that took me out. it wasn't the scariest thing that has happend in 23 years of riding but certainly was one of my closest calls. Would have ended back in the trauma room i had just got done working in!

You'd think another motorcyclest would know better, especialy a curiser/touring type. Goes to show that it's not the bike but the rider behind the bars. Guess he had to be somewhere else in a hurry??

Have had a couple kids on the rockets pass in my lane in the past before too. First it rattles you then p**ses you off.

Larry

Glad you are okay. Been there before too. Not a pleasant experience at all...

As stated already, it goes to show that inconsiderate folk drive all sorts of things and that it pays to keep those eyes in the back of your head open at all times.

Situational awareness is a must on a bike. There's all kinds out there on the road with you. Looking back it may have been a bad time to adjust the coat. But that's part of it. You never know how fast things can change out there. Distractions are part of riding and trying to control that is not as easy as one thinks.They seem to be the littlest of things but can lead to much bigger problems in a heartbeat .

You'd think another motorcyclest would know better, especialy a curiser/touring type. Goes to show that it's not the bike but the rider behind the bars. Guess he had to be somewhere else in a hurry??

Have had a couple kids on the rockets pass in my lane in the past before too. First it rattles you then p**ses you off. Larry

Ive had crotch rockets do the same to me while im driving my tractor trailer on the interstate. But one of the worst offenders was those dual purpose bikes, you know, those high riding BMW's or similar bike with the cross country gear. Happened twice over the last few years and they acted as if my rig didn't exist, changing lanes in front of me without any signals, not even a look and coming within a few feet of my bumper. Guess they felt they were indestructible.

in a flash an hd ultra blows between me and the semi splitting the lane.

Lane splitting is illegal in your state, isn't it? It's illegal everywhere in Canada and I've never seen it happen when we're on a bike, thank goodness. I thought the purpose for lane splitting was when the traffic was almost stopped or stopped to let a motorcycle through? Not for passing on highways?

Lane splitting is illegal in your state, isn't it? It's illegal everywhere in Canada and I've never seen it happen when we're on a bike, thank goodness. I thought the purpose for lane splitting was when the traffic was almost stopped or stopped to let a motorcycle through? Not for passing on highways?

The legality is often irrelevant. For what it is worth in some cases I have heard justification for the lane splitting be to help deal with air-cooled bikes on hot days that are stuck in traffic. I will leave my personal opinion out of this one. I am going to be bad and not actually cite my source here other than this seems to be a reoccurring 'rationale' that I seem to notice when it comes up in the legislature or even just typical discussions.

Huh? Have no clue what you're on about. Just asked a question. :confused24:

My apologies. I can see how my statement could be mis-interpreted and I certainly did not mean to sound like a butt about it, or try to start an argument on the topic or whatever (and I could see where it may look that way). I guess what I meant was along the lines of some people feel that some laws do not apply to them and I have seen it on a number of occasions in states that it is illegal as well as one or tow that I know it IS legal in. Another forum that I will occasionally read (getting more and more rare based on how silly some of the people get with their 'internet muscles') lane splitting is one of those topics that get argued about and some seem to have this attitude that suggests that they can pick and choose which laws they want to obey. That being said, I have had some face to face discussions about the topic too and get the same opinion from some folks as well.

To answer your question about the legality, I will have to do some looking when I get home, but the AMA puts out a nice chart that has a good spread of the common motorcycle applicable laws, state by state, and I am pretty sure lane splitting is included on that. Hopefully I can find it.

Again, my apologies if you took that statement as if I were attacking you or your question - that certainly was not my intent at all.

Again, my apologies if you took that statement as if I were attacking you or your question - that certainly was not my intent at all.

I wasn't quite sure where you were coming from but thanks for explaining!! :) No worries. :)

I didn't know lane splitting was a "hot topic" :D

@22lyons: That would have scared the crap out of me!!! Glad you're okay!

even if i had not been adjusting my jacket i probably would have not been looking behind me since i knew nobody was behind me and i was in an exit only lane. he sqeeked by me so fast and then swerved back in front of the truck using the shoulder because he did not exit.

it happened so fast it didn't even have a chance to scare me or get my adrenaline running. i'm just glad that i held steady in my lane or it would have been ugly.

Yep its illegal anywhere in Canada, i think. But that doesnt stop 3 or 4 jerks a year from blowing past me in my lane. It just infuriates me that they think so little of my safety.

brian

When riding alone, the further you are from the yellow line the more danger you put yourself in. People will cut you off and try to share your lane... its just a fact of life... there are jerks amongst us that like living on the bleeding edge...

Just my 2 cents...

Since converting the bike into a 3 wheeler I haven't had anything like this happen. Even the cages seem to be more aware of that big ass behind me . :innocent: Still one can never let their guard down and as Buddy Rich says you must always have your situational awareness on full alert.

Larry

Boy that is something I would never admit to in writing... I'm pretty sure that would get me in trouble if she read that! :witch_brew::stickpoke: But hey, I guess that is one way to go. :rasberry:

The trikes rear end I tell ya, "The TRIKE". :duck:

Boy Beave you sure know how to put a guy on the spot even if I did stick my foot in the mouth. :no-no-no:

Larry

The trikes rear end I tell ya, "The TRIKE"...

Riiiight. Everyone's got a different nick-name for 'em. Hope you have small feet.

Boy Beave you sure know how to put a guy on the spot even if I did stick my foot in the mouth. :no-no-no:

Larry

But... but... but... What did I do?!?:confused24::confused24:

:banana: