IGNORED

88 venture carb sync question

You are right Dingy but the owner does not know much about working on the the bike so without going into switching ports i think it's best to get the motor runing and try to find out whats wrong with the motor, why two sets of carbs cant get the thing to work right

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this maybe out in right field but this summer my 89 all of a sudden had 1/2 the power. Checked a lot of things but one advise was to get one of those Infer Red Temp gage and hit each exhaust with it about about 30 seconds from a cold start. The back 2 cylinders were not firing good. While the front 2 cyclinders got up to 100 degrees, one of the back cylinder was reading 65 and the other 80 degrees. Then as I was moving the plug wire the engine all of a sudden perked up.

I reported this and the suggestion was to remove the plug cap and snip off a little of the wire until good copper could be seen. I did that to both and no problems since.

You are right Dingy but the owner does not know much about working on the the bike so without going into switching ports i think it's best to get the motor runing and try to find out whats wrong with the motor, why two sets of carbs cant get the thing to work right

He does not have to switch anything. Vacuum hose is where it should be when it had 88 carbs on it. Only thing is to check and plug open port on #2 carb. He has had carbs off bike twice, fairly sure he can plug an open port.

Gary

i put the 88 carbs back on, got the bike to run off choke, but still running like crap. I let the bike run for a few min and felt the cylinders. The back 2 cylinders were warm, the front 2 were cool. I am guessing that possibly the coils might be bad. I did try cutting the wires back and put them back on. Still runs the same. The tach also isnt reading. I know it was mentioned that the tach uses the #2 coil as a pick up for the tach. Can someone please tell me how the carbs are numbered and how the coils and cylinders are numbered. I know I sound like an idiot but I am not use to working on a bike. Thanks for all your help and dealing with all my mistakes and silly questions.

Easy way to check plug firing is to pull cap of plug, put a spare plug in cap. Touch tip of plug to a ground & crank motor. You should be able to see spare plug fire.

This will tell you if coil/TCI is operating. It will not show if possibly wires have been run to wrong cylinders. The coils are laid out in same pattern as cylinders. The wiring color codes are shown in schematic in tech forum for the wiring harness ID to check correct coil hook up. Easy to swap a front to rear coil pair, harder to swap a pair right to left in the wiring harness the way it is laid out.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42358

Gary

I did what gary suggested, I checked the plugs for the coils to make sure they were on the correct coil, which they are. I then checked for spark. It appears the right front coil, I think that is the #2 coil is not firing. Also, the tach is not working. I have a friend how located a coil pack off of an 86 venture. He is getting them and is going to send to me. I am thinking that it is the coil, due to lack of spark and no tach reading. If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know. I also noticed that if I restrict the air flow through the front of the air box, the idle picks up, i am not sure if this is due to having a dead cykinder or a vacuum leak.

For a test, hook the #1 coil up to the lead for the #2 coil, it should reach. (Wiring harness connector - 2 wire plug)

If # 1 spark plug fires TCI is working, if it does not, TCI is toast. (It will be running off of #2 output on TCI)

Gary

For a test, hook the #1 coil up to the lead for the #2 coil, it should reach. (Wiring harness connector - 2 wire plug)

If # 1 spark plug fires TCI is working, if it does not, TCI is toast. (It will be running off of #2 output on TCI)

Gary

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

i switched the plugs with the #1 and #2 coil. Got a strong spark out of the #2 coil. I am guessing that the TCI is bad?

That would be a distinct possibility.

Probably only other options would be a corroded connector on either TCI connector or #2 coil harness connector.

Or maybe a bad pick up coil or connectors.

Gary

Near the shock damper controller, left side.

6 pin connector, only 5 pins used. Common (black) is one in pocket with empty space above it. There is another 6 pin connector in same area, but all 6 pins are used (gear indicator).

Measure from black wire to each of other 4 pins. Should be in area of 110 ohms each. More critical they are fairly even than exact reading. Range is about 98-125 ohms.

Check 4 pins other than black to ground. Should read infinite.

Gary