IGNORED

Ringing in my ears ...

Guest Slab_Ryder

Guest Slab_Ryder

Yesterday, while riding in Vermont to a mountain chalet from Cape Cod (you gotta love exploring road trips) , I was paying attention to an annoying ringing or jingling I have heard for the last year or so. It appears to be from the front left side of my bike. It sounds like an aluminum washer that is lose rattling.

I have emptied my bags, divested myself of hanging keys on belt loop, have no Gremlin Bell, removed the helmet hangers and all appears to be tight on my bike. I specifically begin to hear this around 80 km/h (or 50 mph). My Passive Acoustic background is screaming that this is what is termed a FIR (Flow Induced Resonance), that seems to occur in any gear, but mostly when the engine is on load.

Any others experiencing the same, or have a solution??

Mine does similar, but it seems to me to come from the right rear. I stopped chasing it two years ago, and haven't much noticed it since.

I can only hear it during city riding with low ambient noise levels. I never hear it at highway speeds. Also, I can only hear it when riding without helmet or earplugs. It sounds like something loose, metallic. I went all over the rear end of the bike way back then, chasing this noise. Every time I thought I had it, I was disappointed. My wife riding as a pax could also hear it, but could not locate it.

One possibility is the cover that goes over the fork tubes -- Whatever they are called. Remember that the shape of the windshield and fairing can masquerade the location of the source of the noises. One thing to try is with the bike parked, rev the motor and see if you can find an RPM range that the 'tinging' occurs then have someone hold the throttle and grab the fork tubes and see if it stops.

As to identifying a way to rectify this is another ball of wax :happy34:

Guest Slab_Ryder

No ringing when parked and Revving, however was out for a Wal-Mart run, and was cruising at 50 mph in second, went up to 60 mph, no ringing. Kicked up to 3rd, and the ringing began. Interesting! It must be a FIR or a HAR (High Amplitude Resonance). Just when I was starting to believe what someone else told me, that it was all in my mind.

When home from my Road Trip, I will check out the Fork Tubes etc.