IGNORED

turn signal won't stay on

If only one side won't stay on it's probably the switch as the canceler circuit is the same for both.

If neither side stays on it could be either the canceler or the switch. If you go in the tech library you will find wiring diagrams to aid your diagnosis. Oh heck, HERE IS THE LINK.

Pushing in on the button will cancel the signal. First thing to do is make sure you're not pressing in when you release the switch.

I just played with my switch and noticed the following:

If you slide it to turn signal on (key need not be on) then push straight in you can feel a definite snap as the mechanism releases. If you push in without turning a signal on there is no snap. You might try that on yours and make sure you feel the snap - if not the switch could be gummed up or worn.

If I remember correctly, my 83 needed to be pressed DOWN, (as in vertically), not IN (horizontally) to cancel the signals.

Is it possible that the spring mechanism that holds it up has got gummed up and it is jammed in the down position?

(Any little blue pills for signal switches?)

If that doesn't work...here's a tutorial from Dingy on cleaning the switch.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43025

Edited by Trader

assuming the problem is not in the switch, then the likely culprit is the cancel unit. Simple test- just unplug it (if ya can find it).

Behind RH fairing. Can barley be seen thru removed right turn lamp housing down low and rear. long skinney black rubber coated.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your feed back. I did take the switch apart but everything looked good, no gunk or rust so I put it back together. I've been holding the switch down as I turn and noticed that it started staying on for a few seconds, after each time I did this the longer it would stay on. now it works just fine. I guess that's what happens when it sits in a garage for 25 years. Ya hooo

Thanks

Steve