IGNORED

Removing the Yamaha Reflector ?

As I remember there are 2 phillips head screws on either end that you remove then it comes out.You will also have to lay on your back to see them.BTW why are you removing that piece? If you are just taking off the bags they can come off as a single unit with no need to remove the reflector by itself.Just remove the 4 bolts inside the bags then slightly pull the bags out and up and they will slide back and off the bike.It is also then much easier to remove the reflector if you really have to.

I'm going by remembery here, cuz its been a while since I had mine off, but in addition to the two Philips head screws on the bottom corners, are there not also two acorn nuts accessed from the inside of the side bags?

If there are lights in your reflector then there should also be a connector to unplug.

If you are taking this off to add lights to it, then a write up with lots of pics is required.:fingers-crossed-emo

I wish I was going to add lights to it for I did see a posting on it that someone did a couple years ago but there were no write ups on it. Those lights are awsome. Love to do the same to mine.

I'm just swaping it out with the 89 VR for the 91 has a oh so slight of a chip on the edge and the 91 is going to me my pride and joy. 6700 miles on it and most everything looks new and bright.

No one would ever notice the chip, but I know it is there.

Well that was just too easy.

Only the 2 acron nuts inside the rear of each side bags are the only ones to take off.

Now that I got it off, I can see that there is room for lights in this reflector. I'll take it up to the auto shop and see if there is an easy solution to adding some lights.

Well then this got me looking at the Trunk reflector. I took off the 3 screws on the back of the bottom trunk thinking that would allow me to remove the Reflector. Well it did not. I tried to pry it off with a little force but did not come off.

Anyone know how to take the Reflector off the upper rear trunk.

• 2 weeks later...

For the lower reflector, I used a safty razor, the type with a firm back on one side, and gently drew a line at the junction of the red and black plastic... then carefully and slowly redraw the line cutting just a bit deeper each time. This needs to be done only to the top and bottom and then you have two parts. The side mounted wedge (T10) holders will either bolt on or you can use an epoxy, be sure to scuff the black plastic if using epoxy to give it "teeth". Using side illuminating LEDS from superbrightleds.com is probably your cheapewst and best selection... and yesh, they are polarized so fire it up before you seal it back. I used high-temp hot glue to seal the front back and it's serviced me well for the last few years. RTV can also be used but it's not as neat if you need to get back in.

http://www.bergall.org/temp/venture/rearlight.jpg

For the lower lens . 20 years ago...I found a "moving" LED type light. 6 LEDs and the lights moving...like "NightRider"...remember. Comes on when the brakes are applied. It's a simple circuit board that I just cut the black plastic back of the lens assy and plastic weldered it in. But for absolute safety the new LEDs are the best