IGNORED

Ipad 2 or Galaxy Tab 10.1?

BEER30

Both are very nice devices. I chose iPad2 (32GB) because it has far and away more apps/software available and there were a couple that I very specifically wanted. I did not get the 3G version. WiFi is all I wanted or needed. It is a replacement for a netbook for bike touring. Gonna get it's first "tour trial" this weekend down the Natchez Trace.

I've been looking at tablets also. I really like the Toshiba Thrive. It's not as thin as the iPad or Galaxy but it feels better in my hand. It's an Android 3.1 unit and it has a textured back cover that is easier to hold. It also has an SD slot, USB and hdmi ports which the others do not.

I have an iPhone an my knock on the iPad is that it won't play flash and windows media files. Although it does have the best display.

I'm still looking and waiting for prices to drop.

Dennis

Guest tx2sturgis

Its no secret on this forum or to my friends that I like Apple products.

So I recommend the iPad, either 1 or 2, depending on what you want and your budget. You can still buy an iPad 1, for around $400 with 3G. (apple refurb store)

The iPad has a huge app market, although I have to say, 400,000 apps is way more than what is actually needed.

But about 100,000 of those are iPad specific apps, and most of what I have seen are quite good.

iPads make great traveling companiions and fit easily on the bike, tucked into a saddlebag, and will weigh under 2 pounds with case and charger.

BTW...they DO have USB, SD and HDMI (either wired or wireless)...all you have to do is buy the proper connector or adapter, depending on what you want to do.

Also, flashmedia is a buggy, battery hungry, malware prone, non-secure media platform that is slowly being phased out due in large part to the iPad-iPhone presence on the web.

(see this article: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/09/09/adobe_concedes_html5_video_support_for_ios_in_flash_media_server.html) *

iPads dont get viruses, they are easy to operate, and they hold much of their value, which the other brands may or may not, due to the tablet market being new and some of the copies are dropping like flies.

The only other viable options, if the iPad disappeared...and that I would consider at this point, are the Galaxy Tab, or the Barnes and Noble Nook. Neither of these are close to the iPad, but if the iPad and the Apple app store disappeared tomorrow, these would be on my short list. They both have a fair amount of market viablility, and thats what's important.

You dont want to end up with an orphan computer that no one supports.

* Here are the main points of that article in regards to flash:

Adobe concedes HTML5 video support for iOS in Flash Media Server

The move to add non-Flash output to its existing Flash development workflow was the solution Steve Jobs recommended Adobe take in April of 2010 when he penned "Thoughts on Flash," which ended the with the comment, "perhaps Adobe should focus more on creating great HTML5 tools for the future, and less on criticizing Apple for leaving the past behind."

Jobs roundly criticized Flash as being a proprietary technology controlled by Adobe, and noted that the majority of Flash content was simply web videos locked in the Flash format, much of which was already available to iOS users in non-Flash versions, such as with YouTube, Vimeo, Netflix and others.

Jobs also called out Adobe's Flash Player as having reliability, security and performance issues, noting that Adobe kept promising a mobile version that it simply could not ship throughout 2009 and into 2010. "We think it will eventually ship, but we’re glad we didn’t hold our breath," Jobs wrote. "Who knows how it will perform?"

Adobe has since shipped a mobile Flash Player for other platforms, including Android, but it continues to deliver the same performance, security and battery life problems that its desktop version exhibits. Fortunately, the majority of Flash content is simply web video and, as Jobs recognized a year and half ago, most of it is now available via alternative open standards.

Edited by tx2sturgis

I chose the Motorola Xoom. It has a 10 inch screen will play HD movies and allows me to remote into any of the work servers and is the only tablet that uses a multicore processor with a gig of ram and supports multitasking. It also runs Adobe flash for web surfing and while it does affect battery life slightly.(

The Xoom also has microsd (add storage 32gb), usb and hdmi slots for hookups. I use bluetooth to move data from the tablet to my home computer. Ive also used the bluetooth to stream music from the Xoom in my trunk on my 85 to my Scala headset.

I have to admit (and it hurts me to say it) that the ipad2 is a great tablet as well and has more apps available, but for work use the Xoom just seemed to handle more stuff for me. The battery life on these 2 tablets are amazing, both seem to get about 8 hours approx with fairly heavy use, but when listening to music they seem to run forever (the Xoom has stereo speakers, the rest only have a single speaker). A couple of the guys I work with are running ipad and ipad2 and we all seem to run out of battery life about the same time, but the guy with the galaxy runs out about an hour before the rest of us if we are running remote sessions or working on something fairly intensively.

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/Tablets/MOTOROLA-XOOM-with-WiFi-US-EN

Brian

BTW i did not get the 3g or 4g version, mine only runs wifi, as thats all I want. Anywhere i go I can find wifi (home, work, hotels, any and every McDonalds restaurant for when youre travelling. 4g coverage is real spotty outside if the main cities here and to me there was no point if I can use wifi.

Edited by friesman

iPads just work....'Nuff said!

I buy all my Apple stuff refurbished, same warranty as new and usually save a hundred or more...never had a problem...refurbed iPads come with new batteries, latest updates and retail boxes so.......

Edited by geep
Added text

Guest tx2sturgis
....allows me choices like selecting what I want to use to listen to music and videos, where the Ipad insists that you use Itunes. I like that I can configure the xoom and the flexibility.

I'm with you on most of what you posted with the strong exception of this statement. There are several kinds of music apps for the iPad, some access your library of music on the device, others access internet radio stations or let you create and record your own music, using a virtual guitar or piano, organ, or any other instrument.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dj-player/id339810085?mt=8

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/amp-music-player/id372165479?mt=8

http://www.wunderradio.com/

http://planetary.bloom.io/

http://buzzworthy.mtv.com/2010/04/07/5-must-have-ipad-music-apps/

http://techcrunch.com/2011/07/12/panamp-a-clever-ios-music-player-replacement/

http://www.soundala.com/

http://appmodo.com/55972/free-music-dl-plus-lite-free-music-downloader-ipod-like-player/

http://www.nullriver.com/products/tuner

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shoutcast-radio/id299647180?mt=8

I'm sure there are lots more.

It's common for non-Apple users to assume things, based on rumors or whatever. Any question about what an Apple product will or wont do should be asked of someone who HAS one, not someone who doesnt. Just sayin. :whistling:

With over 400,000 apps on the app store, and countless others available in the cydia store if your willing to jailbreak the device, believe me....theres an app for that!

Edited by tx2sturgis

I'm with you on most of what you posted with the strong exception of this statement. There are several kinds of music apps for the iPad, some access your library of music on the device, others access internet radio stations or let you create and record your own music, using a virtual guitar or piano, organ, or any other instrument.

It's common for non-Apple users to assume things, based on rumors or whatever. Any question about what an Apple product will or wont do should be asked of someone who HAS one, not someone who doesnt. Just sayin. :whistling:

With over 400,000 apps on the app store, and countless others available in the cydia store if your willing to jailbreak the device, believe me....theres an app for that!

Cool, ok I am wrong. BUt i still prefer windows or Android to mac. and my Xoom to an Ipad. Everyone has different preferences, needs and ideas. I have worked on macs in my job and have used the ipad and still prefer the xoom. I work daily beside guys with ipads and the multitasking and remote desktop features and speed on my xoom are what I prefer.

Its funny you say that about people assuming things about macs as I am just finishing up a rollout of converting 1000 macbook users to HP PC laptops, and I am amazed at what I am hearing from well educated people about PC's...lol , so guess that works both ways. I guess its kinda like the boogie man in the closet.... its scary until you see it and find out what it can do...lol

Guest tx2sturgis
I work daily beside guys with ipads and the multitasking and remote desktop features and speed on my xoom are what I prefer.

My iPad will multitask just fine...it can play music while I surf, or it can run GPS tracking while I surf and read an e ebook, all the while its monitoring social websites for updates, whatever. Sometimes an app needs ALL the processors power, and when that happens, multitasking goes into more of a 'paused app' type of mode. Out of over 100 apps that I use, only one of them wants me to shut down all the other apps so it can have maximum access to the system resources...but this it rare and not limited to iPads.

Plus I use a free iPad app to access my home desktop iMac remotely, called TeamViewer. It works very well.

Its funny you say that about people assuming things about macs as I am just finishing up a rollout of converting 1000 macbook users to HP PC laptops, and I am amazed at what I am hearing from well educated people about PC's...lol , so guess that works both ways. I guess its kinda like the boogie man in the closet.... its scary until you see it and find out what it can do...lol

Why would you be converting anyone to HP? They thru in the towel. Or maybe you got a great bargain price on 1000 closeout machines.

http://www.dawn.com/2011/08/19/hp-to-exit-pc-hardware-market.html

One thing I am careful about is to NOT declare what windows or android or linux will or wont do...I let others cover that for me, when they post about this failure or that virus..... I just post facts about what the Apple products do....and that is not the same as saying what the others will or wont do.

Edited by tx2sturgis

This is almost as good as a Harley vs Metric debate. All are good.

I've worked with Ipads and I have an iPhone. I'm still leaning toward the Toshiba Thrive. I just like the way it feels in my hand. I really don't care much at all about apps. I've downloaded several for my phone and really don't use them. They are more for the gee whizz factor. In a tablet I am really only looking for an email reader and web browser with an occasional video thrown in. My work email and calendar are hosted by Google and we have found that Android phones and tablets provide a better integration of our corporate email and calendar functions.

The Toshiba Thrive has stereo speakers, connectivity without buying additional dongles, a user replaceable battery so you could carry an extra if needed and it is a better value (for me and my needs) at $329 for a 16gb wifi unit. That being said, the iPad is a great unit also and I wouldn't start to try to convince anyone otherwise. However, there are options based on one's needs.

Dennis

Guest tx2sturgis
This is almost as good as a Harley vs Metric debate. All are good.

I've worked with Ipads and I have an iPhone. I'm still leaning toward the Toshiba Thrive. I just like the way it feels in my hand. I really don't care much at all about apps. I've downloaded several for my phone and really don't use them. They are more for the gee whizz factor. In a tablet I am really only looking for an email reader and web browser with an occasional video thrown in. My work email and calendar are hosted by Google and we have found that Android phones and tablets provide a better integration of our corporate email and calendar functions.

The Toshiba Thrive has stereo speakers, connectivity without buying additional dongles, a user replaceable battery so you could carry an extra if needed and it is a better value (for me and my needs) at $329 for a 16gb wifi unit. That being said, the iPad is a great unit also and I wouldn't start to try to convince anyone otherwise. However, there are options based on one's needs.

Dennis

Well said. I do however want to mention this:

Apps on a tablet computer are almost ALWAYS better than the equivalent app on a phone...Any phone.

With a tablet you normally have more memory, a faster processor, longer battery life, and no damn incoming calls and texts to worry about.

Watching an entire movie via netflix is doable on a tablet, but i would say, its not doable on a phone. Who would would stare for 90 minutes at a 3.5 or 4 inch screen? Maybe a teenager on a bus trip....maybe.

Plus showing off your vacation photos to friends on a 10 inch tablet, playing board or action games, and drawing on a painting or design program are MUCH better. Not to mention reading webpages and books.

Once I got my iPad, I rarely use the same apps on my iPhone, unless I'm out of range of just grabbing up the iPad.

When you buy a tablet computer, your buying into an entire ecosystem. Similar to buying a street bike...there has to be STREETS to ride it on. Same with a tablet computer. The value goes UP with a healthier app store. And if you buy the iPad, all of the apps you have purchased for the iphone will duplicate onto your iPad, for free. Even the music you have will transfer for free. You might pay $1 to $5 for some apps and mp3's, but if you can use those apps and mp3's on 2 or 3 or 4 devices, its a pretty good deal.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Why would you be converting anyone to HP? They thru in the towel. Or maybe you got a great bargain price on 1000 closeout machines.

It was because HP had the winning proposal for support and price and even though Apple was invited they decided not to send in a proposal to us. Apple lost the tender 2 years ago against other competitors according to our selection team made up of teachers, support techs and network admins. so I guess they were pouting last spring when they decided not to participate in this competition.

It really wont matter if HP sells off the laptop business or not as our contract is for 3 years warranty (that Apple has refused to do.) and have been given written contracts that they will be honored by the people purchasing the spin off company, as the IBM/Lenovo buyout went.

There is a rumour that Apple isnt particpating in very many contracts because they are getting out of most laptop and desktop computing and heading to the personal gadget business where they can make more profit. Its no secret that there isnt much profit margin on laptops anymore, and tablets arent going to be a cash cow for long with Google's Android stuff getting in play.

Brian

Guest tx2sturgis
It was because HP had the winning proposal for support and price and even though Apple was invited they decided not to send in a proposal to us. Apple lost the tender 2 years ago against other competitors according to our selection team made up of teachers, support techs and network admins. so I guess they were pouting last spring when they decided not to participate in this competition.

No secret there. Apple has a core market in the consumer space. It was ever thus.

Apple has rarely competed for corporate dollars. This is where some network guys can get confused. Some, and also, it sounds like you, have the belief that a computer must be marketed for, and suitable for use in, a business or corporate setting...and this is simply a different market. For years, Apple has focused on the consumer market, with only a minimum effort towards the education sector.

Ironically, Apple products create what is called the 'halo effect', where business users want to use Apple products at work, since they love them so much at home. The iPad is being adopted in many business uses, even tho it wasnt originally designed for that market.

Just one area where apple consumer products find their way into the corporate/business arena is in commercial airliners:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/07/05/faa_approves_use_of_apples_ipad_as_electronic_flight_bag.html

They were not designed to pass any certifications involving rapid decompression or radio interference, at least not in an airplane, and yet they pass with flying colors...no pun intended.

Nuff said.

Edited by tx2sturgis

I have an Iphone4 but I have a Barnes and Noble Nook Color for a tablet. I have it rooted via SD card so it not only is a good reader with some apps but also is an Android tablet if I desire it to be. It doesn't have a camera but my Iphone does. The Nook does about anything I need a tablet to do.......and a lot cheaper than most tablets.

Guest tx2sturgis

Fair and balanced reporting:

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-tablets/?tag=moreResources.1

Be sure to watch the videos. No surprise the iPad2 is on the top of the pile.

And Apple pretty much invented the category ( Not according to some who point out that there have been many windows tablets over the years. True, but they tanked in the market.)

Even so....there are some intriguing tablets being made by other makers, and if they can get a decent selection of apps for them, they could be a viable alternative. Every tablet brand brings something new to the market.

Don't overlook the BlackBerry Playbook. My wife just got one & it works over wi-fi or is an extension of her (or my) BlackBerry Smart Phone. If there is no wi-fi, but there is cellular service, it can still wander the web. I really like it. Nice form factor, too. Only 7 inches vs 10 inches for the iPad. Everyone's got their opinions, likes & dislikes. Get what works best for you.

Looks to me like its all pretty subjective as most of the better tablets all have about the same number of stars for user ratings and are excellent units. Also check if the store will throw in any accessories like the stand or case. Check that all cables and adapters are included, some retailers sell packages that dont have all the cables and they retailthose separately for a hefty price.

Basically I would recommend anyone go to the stores AFTER you decided what you need it for and then go find the best one for your purpose.

links to a couple of reviews on ipad and the Xoom on CNET, an independent site.

http://reviews.cnet.com/motorola-xoom/?tag=contentMain;contentBody

http://reviews.cnet.com/apple-ipad-2-review/?tag=contentMain;contentBody

Brian

Edited by friesman

Don't overlook the BlackBerry Playbook. My wife just got one & it works over wi-fi or is an extension of her (or my) BlackBerry Smart Phone. If there is no wi-fi, but there is cellular service, it can still wander the web. I really like it. Nice form factor, too. Only 7 inches vs 10 inches for the iPad. Everyone's got their opinions, likes & dislikes. Get what works best for you.

I would personally stay away from anything RIM makes at this point in time....my god the Playbook doesn't even come with a native email app.....they had a good idea but failed to implement, there is talk today of Blackberry hacking prices to move unsold inventory much like HP did but not likely to the $100.00 point that made the HP tablet the underground success....hell I even tried to buy one and I bleed Apple white ;)

I have an Iphone4 but I have a Barnes and Noble Nook Color for a tablet. I have it rooted via SD card so it not only is a good reader with some apps but also is an Android tablet if I desire it to be. It doesn't have a camera but my Iphone does. The Nook does about anything I need a tablet to do.......and a lot cheaper than most tablets.

I like the rooted Nook concept...it really turned a lot of folks on to a 7" Android tablet...I mean ereader ;)

Whether B&N is keen about that remains to be seen.....the Amazon tablet may be the one to watch out for Apple!

Thanks guys for the entertainment, LOL. However, I went with the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet. Being that I already had the HTC Thunderbolt, I believe they will mate up much better. I got the 32 gig with the 30 pin/USB adapter to attach my external HD for my other programs and porn....I mean educational movies. I also went ahead and signed up for the wireless internet for on the road where no Wifi is available. Loading up all my apps as we speak.

From what I gathered from all the reviews, each are very close with the droid having more candy added to the basket. Apple having the longevity and also revolutionizing the tablet world, it always doesn't mean it's the best. The features the Galaxy had more to offer to fit my needs and swayed me over to the driod side.

Thanks for all the input.

BEER30

:no-no-no: Don't be tempted to buy one of the many China clone Android tablets. We bought one at work for $200 (Flypad 3) to try and see if it would help us with some field work.

The resistive screens are totally junk, Capacitive screens are used on the good tablets. This one only really works with the supplied stylus. Wifi reception is terrible, you need to be within 30 feet of the signal or it doesn't work.

Android OS is fine, display quality and battery life are good too but the sub par input and wifi makes this a great paperweight. Just glad it wasn't my $200.:no-no-no:

Thanks tx. I'm on the Galaxy tab right now. Watched part of the vid you posted and quality was superb. No hesitation and streamed very well. Even did some Youtube earlier without any issues. When I picked up the tablet earlier today, 3G worked well. Hope to get to the big city to see what the 4G does.

BEER30

I got an iPad when they first came out for the wife. We liked it so much we waited in line and got an iPad II. We both have iPhones and she has a MacBook.

I prefer windows over Mac, but the Mac works flawlessly after 3 years unlike all the window laptops and pc's I've had. I still use my wife's original 1st gen iphone because I dropped my my 3G one too many times.p and she has an iPhone 4.

I don't know anything about the droid tablets, but what I know about the apple products is they have been super reliable for us and not willing to take the risk on anything else on any other tablet or phone.