They do have different p/n's

83 - 26H-23126-00-00

86 - 3JJ-23110-00-00

If you were to replace them both, there would be no problem.

There is a valve at the bottom of the inner tube that may have had some internal change to warrant the new P/N. The O.D. is the same.

Gary

They do have different p/n's

83 - 26H-23126-00-00

86 - 3JJ-23110-00-00

If you were to replace them both, there would be no problem.

There is a valve at the bottom of the inner tube that may have had some internal change to warrant the new P/N. The O.D. is the same.

Gary

If I remember correctly, I looked this up once, and I think you'll find that the tubes (uppers) are the same part number....

Those numbers are from the parts fiche for the upper outer tube..

Gary

The outer tube is the lower. Just checked 3 different service manuals..'83, 86, and 88... and they all have #23103-1 tube assembly listed. Go figure??? From what I can see the tubes are interchangeable...

I've ran through a few fork tubes over the last few years and I ran across one oddity. The one on the bottom was from the original set out of my '84. If they were the original OEM that were in the bike new, I don't know. (notice the taper at the bottom)

The top one is from a set I bought supposedly off an '86. The other two sets I bought were the same as the top one. One set was off an '84 and the other an '87 according to the sellers.

Other than the taper, they are identical in all other measurements.

Never found a real reason for the taper on the one set other than a suggestion that it may have been an experiment by Yammy on anti-dive flow.

Just info

Mike

I am wrong, but I was right, HUH ??

Below are the correct numbers & they are different from 83 to 86, and I was wrong referring to them as outer tubes. They are Inner tubes.

83 - 26H-23110-00-00

86 - 3JJ-23110-00-00

Gary

Actually the 26H and 3JJ are assigned when ever there is a change... and it could be nothing more than a color change is made. All 26H's were for the '83VR model year, and it could remain that way all the way to '93 if nothing was ever done to it. I used to have the complete break down of year and model for Yamaha, but lost it in the HD crash. I think?? the 3JJ first appeared in '90?? Maybe...:confused07: The part number is the 23103-1.

Those numbers are from the parts fiche for the upper outer tube..

Gary

What may be found, is that the Mk1 includes the tube bushing & the Mk2 does not.

With Franks Forks, it is the same part across the 1st gens 83 - 93. Same for Racetech, on the bushings.

Actually the 26H and 3JJ are assigned when ever there is a change... and it could be nothing more than a color change is made. All 26H's were for the '83VR model year, and it could remain that way all the way to '93 if nothing was ever done to it. I used to have the complete break down of year and model for Yamaha, but lost it in the HD crash. I think?? the 3JJ first appeared in '90?? Maybe...:confused07: The part number is the 23103-1.

Actually I believe the way it works is any Yamaha part number of the form mmm-23110-nn-nn is a fork inner. It tells you nothing about what it fits.

mmm indicates the first model the part was used on. Revisions and variants are when nn-nn stops being 00-00.