IGNORED

Life goes on

FROG MAN

Why am I sad at Christmas? It's one of the few times we stop our busy day to day and take a look around the neighborhood. A aging couple the man continues to work. He draws social security now but made some mistakes in life and has no pension or retirement fund. With house payments and other bills he must work to help out. His wife just retired at 60 and has a small retirement check. Social security is 2 years away. She has pressing needs at home a elderly mother to care for and a 9 year old grand daughter to raise.Her first retirement check after they deduct her monthly health insurance premiums leaves only $37.00 for the month.These are some of the lucky ones there doing better then many.

My wife comes home and tells the story of a young working mother who says. I'm not putting up a christmas tree this year. I have no spare money to buy my little girl anything and if I don't put up a tree maybe she won't notice it's christmas. She doesn't know it but her little girl will have christmas gifts this year.

As I drive up the road to work I notice many run down mobile homes. No underpinning, exposed water lines,and a big vent pipe sticking out a hole in the side with an old wood burner fired up.It happens every year with winter coming on. Some cold night they will bank the fire to heavy or plug in some electric heaters to help and the next morning there is nothing left but ashes.

Yes several will stop take a look around there community and give to some needy families this christmas.I often think that christmas is the only time of year many children get anything at all. Giving this time of year is all good and well but the fact remains. Give a needy family a dollar this month and next month they will stilll have a need. Teach them some skills and maybe they can improve there quality of life. After christmas it's back to our day to day and the world turns.

I can empathise with you. As president of our legion we raise funds to help the needy, not just at Christmas but year round. My wife is chairperson of Croftonbrook which is our low cost housing for the needy and elderly. She is squeezing money out of government bureaucrats which is harder than getting blood from a stone. She is a tiger. I feel sorry for the bureaucrats. We also have our Poppy fund which goes first to veterans and their families then anything left over goes to the community (hospital, fire dept, ambulance etc). Thankfuly we have universal medical and dental care which covers those in need as well as the rest of us. I would realy love to see some sort of government sponsored training so people could get basic training in skills which would lead to employment.

We have so many jobs here that they can not all be filled. Unfortunately most of them take some sort of basic skills.

We will never solve all these problems, the poor will always be with us and we need to look out for them the best we can.

That being said, the best we can do for ourselves is: TEACH YOUR CHILDREN WELL!!!! Not only how to work, but also proper ethics and proper giving.

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Words my family tries to live by.

I know how you guys feel. I'm the same way. Last year I sent an email out here at work asking for used coats, sweaters, sweatshirts, etc. I collected them and then personally hit some "camps" only about a mile from where I work. I also took clothes to a battered women's shelter and a couple other local charities that reach out. The people here at work are still giving me clothing and whatever else they can find.

The bottom line is that we can all make a difference in the lives of someone else. When a person has nothing, it only takes a little something to make an impact.

God says He will repay us for what we give away. I have experienced that in my own life. Hand a gift to a child that has none and watch their face. that look alone will last you a lifetime.

God bless all of my friends here on venturerider.org.

I've never met you in person Frogman but based on what you said you must be a good person. I get discouraged sometime because I can't spare the money to buy a new set of pipes for my bike or have two bikes. I would like to have another bike for one up riding when it is just me. Then I read what you wrote and I realize I need to be thankful for what I have. Except for the grace of God I could be one without food or shelter. I don't have sympathy for the ones that won't work but there are many working as hard as they can and can't make ends meet. I've been where I didn't know if I was going to be able to buy groceries on friday and I've had to park my car behind my house to keep the repo man from getting it. It is not a good feeling and if you want to find out what it feels like to be treated like a second class citizen just get where you can't pay your bills on time. The collectors will talk ugly to you. I didn't mean to get strung out talking about the past but just wanted to say we need to help the ones less fortunate than us when we can and be thankful for what we have.

Frogman,

When I started to read your story tears started to flow down my face. I know how hard times are especially around this time of the year. Seems like there is never enough time to spend with your family and never enugh money as well. I have to stop and think about everything that has happened this year and be thankful that I have my family here with me and to take the time to thank the ones that helped us when the tornado tore up our neighborhood. the ones that gave thier time with out even thinking about. This Christmas I will be spending the day with my family that will be arriving on Saturday from the south. This will be my brother in laws first white Christmas. I hope that thier visit will be as great as I can make it all though I have to work when they are here. My wish for everybody is that this Christmas no matter what you have under the tree how hard you've worked is that family is the best present that anybody can have and you cant put a price $$$$$ on that. Well i'm off to get ready to go to work God Bless and Take care

Jessie:2132:

Thats some heavy stuff this early in the morning.

My heart has been hardened by my work. Most of the Convicts I deal with are low-life scum but every once in a while I still hear a story trhat makes me wonder if they had been raised different what they would have been. Its too late now but.........