IGNORED

Where is the best place to see Fall Colors near DC

scottbly

I will be in DC on business over the Columbus Day weekend. I Have three days off and what to take a road trip to see the fall colors. I will be in a rental car so bike issues are not relevent. I am thinking Penn? Any Suggestions? Thanks.

In Maryland head west to Frostburg and Deep Creek Lake.

From Virginia head west out US 50 to Front Royal.

From DC, an easy drive to Catoctin Mountain Park, where Camp David is located. If it's good enough for Presidents, it's good enough for all of us who own the place -- it's a National Park.

Find Thurmont in Frederick County, MD, and you'll see where it is. Beautiful area. Fortunately, Øbama doesn't go there often, so it should be easy for you to get there and get around.

Nick Diaz

Middletown, MD

DC Beltway to 66W toward Front Royal, VA will get you to the north end of Skyline Drive. DC Beltway to 270N toward Frederick, MD will get you access to 15N and Catoctin, Gettysburg, and PA country. It will also get you access to the Cumberland, Frostburg MD area (70 and 68W), great views along 68, especially on 2 wheels. 70W will also get you to central PA (Breezewood and Rt. 30). You'll have to check maps for mileage. If you want to sightsee as well, I’d opt for the Gettysburg area. You can get into mountains from there pretty quickly on Rt. 30. DC Beltway to 95N will take you to ..… well, you’ll want to avoid that.