IGNORED

How Hot should it be?

SilvrT

Just returned home from our weekend camping trip with the new-to-us tent trailer. Had to stick a plug in a nailhole in the rear tire just before we left. Fairly new Dunlop Elite 3 (appx 4500 miles on it). Checked the tire regularly during the trip and found it to be very hot after an hour or so riding. So hot in fact that I could not hold my hand on it very long and the wheel was even hotter. Running 39 lbs cold in the tire.

The front tire was warm but not too warm and the trailer tires were about the same. I guess I had about 40lbs weight on the tongue and a light load on the bike.

We did the whole trip (appx 800 kilometers) without issue but the tire was still quite hot each time I checked it.

BTW, I have no idea how hot the tire might have been before this trip riding without the trailer.

Any thoughts on this guys??

My 01 Gold Wing & 04 Venture was the same way hot to the touch and that's not even pulling a trailer never worried about it since the rear tire is catching all the heat from the motor-exhaust-asphalt

when I changed the oil I also changed the diff. oil not that hard and not much oil either maybe over kill but I felt better knowing it has fresh diff. oil

I read on this forum one time that a tire you can't hold your hand on due to heat is a problem and shouldn't be ridden on. Now, I be darned if I can find that post but I've often thought about it while riding and have actually stopped to check quick to see how my tire was. I have E3's with about 4000 miles on them. I always run with 40 in the rear and have never had an issue with 'to hot to touch' tires. I can hold my ungloved hand on it until the cows come home.

Maybe someone else has an idea or happen to read the post I'm referring to. I'll certainly keep an eye on this post because "inquiring minds want to know"!!!:confused24:

I have a Hagon tire pressure monitor system, Elite 3's with 40 PSI in both tires. When running 70 MPH in the Arizona and Nevada desert, I was regularly seeing 55-58 PSI in the rear, 44-48 PSI in the front. I think the rear runs hotter due to more weight (really loaded with camping gear), and the fact the front tire is more exposed to the air flow. Hope that helps, Ron:322:

Tire temp will depend a lot on local conditions.

If the air temp is around 100, and the sun is out, asphalt can get to over 150°F. Your tire will pick up that heat.

The max temp that most people can keep their hand on for an extended period of time is 125°F.

On the other hand, if you are riding 2 up and pulling a trailer and have the bags loaded, you are most likely over the max weight rating of an E3. You may want to experiment with pressure closer to the max pressure from the sidewall of the tire. Tires are rated for the max load at the max pressure.

I was using info posted here.

I run 42 in the rear, and notice the back end gets a little squirmy when the pressure drops down to the 30's. Lower pressure means more sidewall flexing which will make more heat.

Thanks for the input guys ... I guess my next "order of business" is to take a ride without the trailer and check the tire.

I was running 39-40 lbs cold and when hot it was around 44 lbs. I did install new brake pads prior to this trip but they didn't seem to be dragging. As for lube in the wheel, etc... I went all thru that when I changed out the tire.

We didn't have a lot of weight in the trunk or side bags and neither of us are "heavy" people. Daytime Temps were around 30 clecius (86 f ).

As for the tire temp itself, a little more clarification... I could hold my hand on the tread area ... it was HOT but I could still hold my hand there... as I moved closer to the rim, it was hotter and the rim itself was almost too hot to touch.

I'm wondering if I got too much torque on the axle end nut, causing excessive pressure on the bearings... is that even possible?

Guess the "no trailer" test will give me more of an indication.

Good post. Raises some good questions. Is it possible the front tire gets some cooling by the air passing around it. Much of the air is blocked to the rear tire by the bike, fairings and engine etc. If you have a temperature gun it wouldn't hurt to take it along and maybe post some numbers.

Mike