IGNORED

84 Venture backfires and no power

Terry Richardson

Hey guys, my 84 is giving me a fit. I had her out of the garage yesterday and was waxing her,added a little oil, fixed a broken side cover and just getting her ready for a ride. Before I did this I cranked her up and she ran fine. After doing her grooming and upkeep, I cranker her, she started very hard, reving the engine is very slow and she backfires a lot. She wont idle on her own. What do you guys think? I have checked over everything I did and cant find a thing. Thanks

Hey guys, my 84 is giving me a fit. I had her out of the garage yesterday and was waxing her,added a little oil, fixed a broken side cover and just getting her ready for a ride. Before I did this I cranked her up and she ran fine. After doing her grooming and upkeep, I cranker her, she started very hard, reving the engine is very slow and she backfires a lot. She wont idle on her own. What do you guys think? I have checked over everything I did and cant find a thing. Thanks

Maybe a fouled plug and the raw gas from that cylinder is going off in the exhaust??? Just a guess....

Well actually guys.. turns out most of you were right. First of all... I did knock a plug wire lose. Cut the end and screwed it back in. Second of all, I fouled the plugs during this event, had to clean them up, and third had a little bad gas, used alcohol to cure it and high octane to cure the alchohol. Ran it tonight afterwards and she purrs like a kitten again. Thanks guys.. I really appreciate it and MERRY CHRISTMAS to you all.

Guest KitCarson
Well actually guys.. turns out most of you were right. First of all... I did knock a plug wire lose. Cut the end and screwed it back in. Second of all, I fouled the plugs during this event, had to clean them up, and third had a little bad gas, used alcohol to cure it and high octane to cure the alchohol. Ran it tonight afterwards and she purrs like a kitten again. Thanks guys.. I really appreciate it and MERRY CHRISTMAS to you all.

As you are a new member I did not want to say this till all was well. However you do have the right idea with using Alcohol and High octane.....Jet fuel works well also.........all those First Gens have to use something to keep up with our fancy new 2nd Gens!!!:stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::rotfl::bighug:

As you are a new member I did not want to say this till all was well. However you do have the right idea with using Alcohol and High octane.....Jet fuel works well also.........all those First Gens have to use something to keep up with our fancy new 2nd Gens!!!

Another 2Gen halucinating again......:eek:

One suggestion Terry is to get ANOTHER set of plugs. 1st gens are very sensitive to spark plugs and once they are fouled, they never seem as good as new ones. I have had very good luck with Autolite's from Advance Auto and they are cheap.

One other thing to consider is the sparkplug caps have a resistor in them that occasionally get corroded.

RandyA

you all don't play fair , here i think i am all kind of smart ! and get to give some good advice and then i find out i learned something too , darn !! i am to old to learn new things , thanks buddy , did not know about that plug , and randy , its off to advance auto , i foul my plugs often .

thom

If by chance the side cover you repaired is the left one. Then I would check the pigtail for the pickup coils. The way you describe it is a bad connection in the pigtail.

buddy