IGNORED

packing steering head bearings

OK...I finally got a few minutes tonight to see about putting my bike back together

as a refresher....1988 VR, replacing the steering bearings.

So...I put the bearing races and triple tree in the freezer to "shrink" them

Races went into the neck just fine!

I was told to put the bearings in the oven at about 200' or so to expand them, then tap them on with some PVC pipe.

Question....how to I pack the bearings?

Before the heat...they'll just melt the grease out of the bearings and make a mess.

After the heat?...Still, will the grease not just heat up and run out?

And by the time I pack them...will they not cool off too much?

Have you gotten the lower bearing off the triple tree stem yet.

Heating that one may help to drop it on. Then you could pack it after it is on stem. I am assuming you have lower tree off bike. Send wife out shopping and put it in freezer to shrink it as well.

Get an aluminum pie pan and put bearing in it. Also consider smell put out from grease when heated.

Top one does not need heated. It is a drop in.

Gary

Another question....heard of folks installing a zerk fitting...but wouldn't that just drop down to the bottom....unless you fill the entire cavity which seems like a LOT of grease???

Thanks for your patience guys...I know a lot of stupid questions...but hey! if you don't know...ask. Right?

Wheel bearing grease would be my choice for this.

It will never see the temps. that a wheel bearing does though.

Fairly sure some guys use just regular grease on them. Lithium soap based cartridge stuff.

I am not a believer in the zerk fitting idea, doesn't seem like it would help top bearing out much, and that is a lot of grease to clean out when you decide to check the bearings again.

Gary

I am not a believer in the zerk fitting idea, doesn't seem like it would help top bearing out much, and that is a lot of grease to clean out when you decide to check the bearings again.

Gary

The zerk lets you fill the steering neck which keeps the rain out and thus eliminates having to check the bearing again. It will grease the upper bearing.

Also, all you have to do the check the bearings is turn the handlebars while on the center stand and check for notcheyness.

Also, all you have to do the check the bearings is turn the handlebars while on the center stand and check for notcheyness.

I am not saying not to install the zerk, just that it is not something I would do.

These are sealed bearings if Yamaha original p/n used.

If you raise the nose and can feel notcheyness in the bearings, you are about 5,000 miles past when they should have been replaced if you push the bike in corners much. That level of wear will affect handling adversely. IMHO.

Gary

• 2 months later...

i have a 06 RSTD and when i hit a small curve that lifts up the bike I get a knocking in the tree area??? would like some advice.. been going on for several weeks..I have 86k on it now..what to do repac bearings or what??

thanks

Ron Jolly

RET U S Army Inf

i have a 06 RSTD and when i hit a small curve that lifts up the bike I get a knocking in the tree area??? would like some advice.. been going on for several weeks..I have 86k on it now..what to do repac bearings or what??

thanks

Ron Jolly

RET U S Army Inf

with that mileage it 's time to replace the bearings, knocking is most likely old bearings have loosened up so while your going to take it apart to check it you should replace the bearings. dingy sells a tool to tighten the bearings with a tourk wrench that works great i have one myself