So now come the questions, first when I start out from a stop I hear a high pitched whine, something like a brake pad rubbing, but as I go I guess the noise of the engine drowns it out.

Second, when I come a complete stop and place the bike in neutral to park it, when i let out the clutch I hear something like a grinding. Deep not high.

So I love this new bike way to much to let any of this be a bummer, but I need some help. I can diagnose my Virago but still new to the RSTD.

Any help will be great,

PS does anyone know a Andy in Pine Valley CA, that used to have a 05 RSTD. The former owner has almost all the repair notes for the first 61k on this bike.

Thanks again, Viragofan

So now come the questions, first when I start out from a stop I hear a high pitched whine, something like a brake pad rubbing, but as I go I guess the noise of the engine drowns it out.

Second, when I come a complete stop and place the bike in neutral to park it, when i let out the clutch I hear something like a grinding. Deep not high.

So I love this new bike way to much to let any of this be a bummer, but I need some help. I can diagnose my Virago but still new to the RSTD.

Any help will be great,

PS does anyone know a Andy in Pine Valley CA, that used to have a 05 RSTD. The former owner has almost all the repair notes for the first 61k on this bike.

Thanks again, Viragofan

With respect to the high pitch whine at low speeds, try dragging (lightly applying) first the rear brake and then the front brake. That might help tell you if its a brake related noise. Or possibly isolate the nosie to front or rear. Don't forget to check the rear pads if its new to you. On many of these bikes the rear pads wear unevenly. WHile your at it check the front pads.

Is the noise at idle a true grinding noise or more of a grumble?? If the carbs are out of sync, they can make some some unusual noises at idle. With the clutch pulled in the trans is disengaged. When you release the clutch the main shaft is spinning. WHen the engine is out of sync you can get noises from there.

WIth 61K miles I would check the rear wheel splines and pins for grease (though this usually results in clicking noise). Also pull the rear pumpkinn and check, clean lube the splines on both ends of the drive shaft. Look at the records and see when the last time the differential fluid was changed and whether there are notes to the affect of the splines being lubricated.

These are the things that immediately come to mind.

On edit, here is a recent thread on cleaning greasing the drive pins and splines with two very good links with pictures. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62855

RSTDdog

Edited by RSTDdog
added link

Second, when I come a complete stop and place the bike in neutral to park it, when i let out the clutch I hear something like a grinding. Deep not high. 05 RSTD

Does the grinding noise continue, or is it a one-time noise when you release the clutch in neutral?