IGNORED

Rear wheel pins

I had to pull the rear wheel again because the dealer didn't clean the rim good enough so the tire was slowly leaking. Anyhow i realized that i didn't grease the pins the last time so I had another reason for taking it a part again. Anyhow, the pins were pretty rusty. I cleaned them up with some fine sandpaper. Anything else to do other than moly paste? Do you or can you clean out the bushings?

thanks, Larry

I had to pull the rear wheel again because the dealer didn't clean the rim good enough so the tire was slowly leaking. Anyhow i realized that i didn't grease the pins the last time so I had another reason for taking it a part again. Anyhow, the pins were pretty rusty. I cleaned them up with some fine sandpaper. Anything else to do other than moly paste? Do you or can you clean out the bushings?

thanks, Larry

Wrap some emery paper around a long drillbit and "hone" them out. Make sure you wrap the emery in the right direction LOL (don't ask how I know that)

Also, when putting the hub pins back in, insert, pull out, rotate one, insert again, etc etc until you find the "spot" where they slide in the easiest.

There's a writeup about this in here somewhere...

thanks, Larry

Since your bike is now 11 years old its a good bet that the inside of your rims bead seat has some slight corrosion which is causing it to leak. My 99 had the same problem. I even sanded the area clean but it still had a slight leak. A coat of tire bead sealer around the tire bead area did the trick. No more leaks.

Since your bike is now 11 years old its a good bet that the inside of your rims bead seat has some slight corrosion which is causing it to leak. My 99 had the same problem. I even sanded the area clean but it still had a slight leak. A coat of tire bead sealer around the tire bead area did the trick. No more leaks.

Well, when i took it back in they said the rim needed cleaning. i questioned him by saying, "Why didn't they clean it 8 months ago when the put on the tire." He had no answer.

Every time you remove a tire that has been in place for a long time it leaves behind little chunks of rubber, and after three or four tire changes, the bead surface typically feels like rough concrete. As far as I am concerned, virtually NO shop ever properly cleans the inside of the rim when they change a tire - they make money by doing everything as fast as they can, and properly cleaning the rim with a scotch-brite pad takes about as long as it does to actually change the tire. I does take some scrubbing, not just a quick wipe.

That is one of the main reasons I change my own tires, and everyone who has ever asked me to help them change their tire knows I make them scrub their own rim before we put the new tire on! LOL

Goose

What I use to clean the bushings out is a wire brush for cleaning guns. I do not know the size gun I got the brush for but it is about 1/2" dia and I put it in a drill to clean the bushing in the wheel out . Works GREAT. If I remember right,just a guess it was for a 410 or 12 gage shotgun.

Hope this helps:fingers-crossed-emo

What I use to clean the bushings out is a wire brush for cleaning guns. I do not know the size gun I got the brush for but it is about 1/2" dia and I put it in a drill to clean the bushing in the wheel out . Works GREAT. If I remember right,just a guess it was for a 410 or 12 gage shotgun.

Hope this helps:fingers-crossed-emo

Same here... 20ga shotgun brush works well!

Anyhow i realized that i didn't grease the pins the last time so I had another reason for taking it a part again. Anyhow, the pins were pretty rusty. I cleaned them up with some fine sandpaper. Anything else to do other than moly paste? Do you or can you clean out the bushings?

thanks, Larry

What pins are we talking about here?

Same here... 20ga shotgun brush works well!

shotgun brush. good idea.

well, got both front and rear brakes bled. wow what a difference it makes for my front brakes! Not sure they had ever been changed!

thanks for all the help.

larry

Every time you remove a tire that has been in place for a long time it leaves behind little chunks of rubber, and after three or four tire changes, the bead surface typically feels like rough concrete. As far as I am concerned, virtually NO shop ever properly cleans the inside of the rim when they change a tire - they make money by doing everything as fast as they can, and properly cleaning the rim with a scotch-brite pad takes about as long as it does to actually change the tire. I does take some scrubbing, not just a quick wipe.

That is one of the main reasons I change my own tires, and everyone who has ever asked me to help them change their tire knows I make them scrub their own rim before we put the new tire on! LOL

Goose

Only silver lining was that i had failed to grease the clutch pins last fall when i lubed everything. I missed the C-clip. So, got it done this time. I thought i had some moly paste from last time but couldn't find it so back to the shop yesterday. Wouldn't you know the first thing i see on my shelf this morn? Yep, moly paste that i looked for 10 times yesterday. Even moved everything around on that shelf. Guess i have enough for a few more changes.

I thought i had some moly paste from last time but couldn't find it so back to the shop yesterday. Wouldn't you know the first thing i see on my shelf this morn? Yep, moly paste that i looked for 10 times yesterday. Even moved everything around on that shelf. Guess i have enough for a few more changes.

The easiest way to find anything is to buy a replacement. The old one will magically appear. There are a few tools that I have spares. :headache: