IGNORED

Spark Plug difference

Handyman

When I was at the parts house today, I asked for plugs same as the last set. He looked it up useing my phone # on the computer and said,"No problem". When I get home and get my Venture torn down, he has given me plugs with a 7 instead of an 8. (DPR7EA 9)They look the same ,so whats the diff, hotter?,colder? or what. Would it hurt to use them or should I take them back. 50 miles one way.

Thanks

Richard

When I was at the parts house today, I asked for plugs same as the last set. He looked it up useing my phone # on the computer and said,"No problem". When I get home and get my Venture torn down, he has given me plugs with a 7 instead of an 8. (DPR7EA 9)They look the same ,so whats the diff, hotter?,colder? or what. Would it hurt to use them or should I take them back. 50 miles one way.

Thanks

Richard

I have been running the hotter plugs for a few years, with no problems at all. As the bike couldn't even begin to get up to tempature, by the time I got to work (less than 1 mile).

In fact both bikes that just finished the 2 & 1/2 month, aprox 10,000 mile trip last week are still running the DPR7EA9 plugs.

:2cents:

I seriously doubt that running the hotter plug would hurt anything and I have done so in the past on older engines with a lot of miles. Especially if they were using a bit of oil and/or fouling the original plugs. Still though, I would feel better sticking with the correct plugs. Rocket is riding an '83 and we are talking about a '99 here. Probably makes no difference but still not the exact same thing.

Thanks

Richard

I Put the same plugs in mine by accident and I notice 2 things right now. First it seemed to run just a little smoother and second I lost about 3 mpg on the 2 lanes and about 5 mpg on the interstate. Was it just a coincident? Don't know but I switched back to the 8's and my mileage went back to 41 mpg 2 lane and 37 interstate.

Thanks

Richard

Same here as Freebird says, I would not use them and tell them they owe you at least $10.00 for gas and time.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61973

I am going to have to do this soon. I have already bought my plugs.

Richard, sure would be nice if you would do a little how to with lots of pictures to show. I have not found any other how to with pictures here on the site.

Fuzzy

Edited by FuzzyRSTD

Hey, I might just give it a shot next time. Just wondering, Is the RSTD basiclly the same bike as a RSV without the fairing, bags and trunk?

almost, the RSTD has the bags, no fairing, no trunk, no radio, different seats.

Hey, I might just give it a shot next time. Just wondering, Is the RSTD basiclly the same bike as a RSV without the fairing, bags and trunk?

Yes, mine is a 2007, so basically the same bike. I do wish now that I would have went with the RSV instead. All though I am still pleased, I was just afraid of so much of the electronic stuff. I was then still kinda old school, ride and listen to the road and the roar. Now I have added speaker system and some other electronics to the RSTD. Just wondering, does the trunk on the RSV have a quick disconnect ?

Fuzzy :thumbsup2: And yes that would be nice of you to add the how too for the plugs.

. Just wondering, does the trunk on the RSV have a quick disconnect ?

Fuzzy :thumbsup2: And yes that would be nice of you to add the how too for the plugs.

No, the trunk is kind of a pain to remove and install because of the wiring.

I'd rather have a RSTD with an aftermarket fairing and a real radio than the RSV if I had it to do over again. The OEM radio leaves much to be desired.

I hope the DPR7EA9s won't hurt anything, as that appears to be what came with my bike 16,000 miles ago. When I changed plugs, a while back I put back in what came out. Guess I shoulda checked the manual to be sure what the PO installed was correct. Well maybe I'm wrong, but it don't appear to be "broke" so I guess I'll not try to "fix it"! :confused24: