Have a 2001 RSV with 85,000 miles on it. Am going to replace the friction plates and spring in it as I am getting a little slippage when cranking down on throttle in 4th and 5th. My question is, there are 2 disc behind the clutch basket secured behind a wire retainer, the Barrett kit I bought does not include these, do you think they should be replaced and if so how are they ordered. Also should I go with the more expensive spring conversion kit, or just remain with a new diaphram type. The whine I have learned to live with, so I dont think the price of a new basket justifices the (Maybe) reducing the whine. Thanks, any help appericated.

John

I am in Edgewater, just down the road, if you need any help give me a shout.

I have not done a replacement on my plates on my Venture yet, but I did on my 98 Royal Star TC, I was able to carefully fish the wire spring out with a curved needle pick. I hope the Venture is set up the same way when I get around to doing it.

I am not sure about obtaining that one plate, but I am sure someone here will know.

Hey John,

First off, welcome to VR.ORG, and congrats on having 85,000 miles on your scoot!

Normally, I would direct you to the Classifieds where I offer a kit to address both of the issues you have mentioned. The Classifieds are currently being revamped and the ad for the Second Gen. is not there. I have nothing bad to say about the Barnett Compression Spring Set Up, but I do have an Upgrade Kit that will address the slippage issue, and the 1/2 disc at the rear of the clutch pac. If you are interested in some information, please feel free to PM me.:thumbsup2:

Earl

John

I am in Edgewater, just down the road, if you need any help give me a shout.

I have not done a replacement on my plates on my Venture yet, but I did on my 98 Royal Star TC, I was able to carefully fish the wire spring out with a curved needle pick. I hope the Venture is set up the same way when I get around to doing it.

I am not sure about obtaining that one plate, but I am sure someone here will know.

Thanks for the reply and offer of help, however I am currentlly in Va, we are snow birds, 6 months is each place. I think all the ventures are pretty much the same from mid 80s to present.

That wire and the half plates are there for a reason. Yamaha didn't just toss them in there to make things difficult. They make a smoother transition when letting out the clutch. They reduce grab. Some have elected to remove the half's and go with a full plate and disc, but from what I've read it does reduce the slip threshold. When I rebuild clutches, I order an extra wire instead of using the old one. The tips always seem to get bent up, and makes it a PITA getting them back in. If you do happen get the old one out unbent, great!! The springs aren't that much, and now you have a spare. Shop around for the discs. Prices vary. Also go with an OEM spring. It worked fine when the bike was new, and will do the same now. Don't forget to pick up a gasket. Servicing the clutch is one of the easiest maintenence jobs you can do on any Venture. It can be interesting and fun.... :)