IGNORED

Starglide conversion

This is the instructions for those who want to remove the trunk from their RSV. At the end of the post is a method to make the trunk a quick release item. I hope this clears up any questions about this post.

Start by taking the seats off and unplugging everything under the rear seat that plugs into the trunk. Figure 1 is the location of the bolts holding the rear seat on. Then remove the trunk from the chrome rack it sits on by removing the six bolts inside the trunk pictured in figure 2 and 3. If you don't use the CB much you can either take the whole black box located under the trunk off or unplug the antenna and stuff all the wires inside the box (I chose to keep the box on so I didn't misplace it.). I also removed the CB antenna and mount from the trunk rack.

On the trunk right below the passenger backrest, there is a rectangular panel held on by four bolts shown in figure 4. I removed the panel and tucked the passenger communication cord in there so it is out of the way but can still be retrieved and plugged in for use. Leave the other two black plugs out. Those are for the speakers and when you put the trunk back on you might want to plug those back in.

Remove the passenger grab handles. I took mine off completely because my wife said she didn't use them and I didn't want the hassle of putting them back on with the trunk. There is also a ground wire bolted to the trunk rack that you can remove and tuck under the back seat. The speakers will still work without it.

Open both saddlebags. Unbolt the radio antenna and lay it across the open saddlebag. Now there are only four bolts holding the trunk rack on the bike. Remove those bolts and the rack should come off. Bolt the trunk back onto the rack. I went to Kragen and bought the antenna pictured in figure 5 and mounted it inside the front fairing. It works well and allowed me to remove the antenna on the trunk.

Put the seats back on leaving the plugs for the speakers on the trunk out. After you get the seats installed, tuck the plugs up under the rear seat so they are easy to get to when you want to install the trunk.

I am going to slot the holes on the trunk rack where it bolts to the bike. This will speed up installing and removing the trunk. I will let you know how it goes and I will get some pics up as soon as I can. If I was unclear with anything please let me know. Sorry for the length of this but I just wanted to make sure I didn't leave out any details.

I don't know what a "StarGlide" is?

In place of the Harley "ROADGLIDE"... he is changing his "Road Star" into a "STARGLIDE" by removing the rear trunk...

At same time, it appears, his efforts are to include a mod that will enhance the speed of removing and re-attaching the trunk upon his particular needs...

:thumbsup2:

Sorry. Now that I am reading it, I see that it is a little vague on what I am doing. Yes, it is instructions on how to remove the trunk and to make it a quick release item. I hope this helps. I will put this in the original post so as to not confuse anyone.

:stirthepot: Yep, I have had mine that way for years.

No tools needed.

YEH! But you needed TWO 1st Gens to hold the same amount of stuff than ours! Then, if you packed them too tightly, you couldn't open them again or the plastic would break!! Been there, Done that!!

Brian

Just finished mine tonight. My wife won't ride when it's under 80 degrees so I thought I would kill some time. Followed the instructions except for the antenna. I fabbed a bracket that attached to the tag holder and mounted the antenna back on the rear. Kinda like the look.

Of course, come warm weather it will have to go back on...Now only if I could find a set of reasonably priced pipes to give it a growl...won't take much longer to swap them out every fall & spring.

Curt

Just finished mine tonight. My wife won't ride when it's under 80 degrees so I thought I would kill some time. Followed the instructions except for the antenna. I fabbed a bracket that attached to the tag holder and mounted the antenna back on the rear. Kinda like the look. Also will be much easier to swing my long legs over.

Of course, come warm weather it will have to go back on...Now only if I could find a set of reasonably priced pipes to give it a growl...won't take much longer to swap them out every fall & spring.

Curt

Just finished mine tonight. My wife won't ride when it's under 80 degrees so I thought I would kill some time. Followed the instructions except for the antenna. I fabbed a bracket that attached to the tag holder and mounted the antenna back on the rear. Kinda like the look. Also will be much easier to swing my long legs over.

Curt

Cool. I like the look of the antenna on the back also I just didn't want to move it every time I took the trunk on/off. Now you know the rule, Kurt: YOU HAVE TO POST PICS!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I've pulled the trunk off my 03 RSV also. I really like the way it handles and looks. I have a set of old seats that I am having modified into a two piece "gunslinger" type seat. I am still figuring out the bracket for both antennas. What I really need to find out is if a luggage rack for a RSTD will fit on the RSV? I wold be putting it on and off so I can have someway to strap luggage on for longer trips, as the rear seat is going to be pretty much for looks and I don't think a bag will stay on. If anyone knows if the luggage rack will fit, let me know please.

• 4 months later...

I am doing some research on this thing about the luggage rack. I missed a smokin deal on a trunk on ebay the other day so I'm probably gonna get a tall upright for an original RS. From what I have seen, it looks like the upright and luggage rack from a road star/royal star will fit.