IGNORED

I say no to Noise

jrsain

icon1.gif I don't know what to do now

I have been looking for a while for a non-Goldwing touring bike. Started looking at 1600 Kawasaki Nomads and really liked the features and the look of the bike. So this week I drive my VTX 1800 C over to the dealer and drive an 05 Nomad, what a pooch.

Then after talking with owners and several dealers I'm convinced a RSTD/Venture is the bike for me. My problem is I have had problems even seeing one of the bikes to set on. I found a leftover 09 RSTD in Naples FL and drove down there this morning and sat on it. Now I know it is the bike for me, but when I look at many adds of bikes for sale they state they have had new clutches installed. This concerned me due to the bikes having less than 30k on them. Putting a new clutch in a VTX is almost unheard of, so I joined this site to find out about clutch issues. Guess what I come across, a thread about the whinning noise, and what I'm hearing is if the owners knew about the whine issue they wouldn't have bought the bike and now I'm I have now clew what to start looking at in a used touring bike.

I now own a RSTD 07 and am enjoying it! BTW, I was required to were a helmet when test driving the bike and heard no whine what so ever but now I have it home and without a helmet I hear a wine at different RPM/Speed yet it isn't loud enough to cause me a lot of grief. I do plan to have it checked out before the warranty is gone which is Nov. of 2012. Any suggestions of when I should approach the Dealer with the clutch basket issue, now or later near the end of warranty?

Edited by jrsain

I have been looking for a while for a non-Goldwing touring bike. Started looking at 1600 Kawasaki Nomads and really liked the features and the look of the bike. So this week I drive my VTX 1800 C over to the dealer and drive an 05 Nomad, what a pooch.

Then after talking with owners and several dealers I'm convinced a RSTD/Venture is the bike for me. My problem is I have had problems even seeing one of the bikes to set on. I found a leftover 09 RSTD in Naples FL and drove down there this morning and sat on it. Now I know it is the bike for me, but when I look at many adds of bikes for sale they state they have had new clutches installed. This concerned me due to the bikes having less than 30k on them. Putting a new clutch in a VTX is almost unheard of, so I joined this site to find out about clutch issues. Guess what I come across, a thread about the whinning noise, and what I'm hearing is if the owners knew about the whine issue they wouldn't have bought the bike and now I'm I have now clew what to start looking at in a used touring bike.

I bought a new 09 (leftover) RSTD in april. Been riding it every opportunity (7000 km so far) Absolutely zero issues and extremely satisfied.

Based on my experience I have no hesitation reccomending the RSTD.

the whine is nothing to be concerned about, it only happens at certain rpms and its cause the gears are cut for durability and the" clutch basket" is what some folks do to solve the problem. I find that after awhile I don't even notice. these bikes are bullet proof and a hoot to ride, if you can get a test ride and check for yourself and wind the engine hi cause thats when its happy.

I bought a new left over 08 RSTD last year and I am very happy with it. I hear a little whine or chrip what ever you call it but it is no way like most people talk about. If you get one all dealer has to do is change the basket (clutch) and most all noise be gone. You can't beat a 5yr unlimited mileage warr.

Buy and Ride be safe.

I think they all make a little noise from the clutch but I wouldnt have any other bike right now and Im on my second venture.

there are a bunch of ventures running the roads down here in south florida so maybe someone is a little closer than miami that would give you a chance to try one out.