IGNORED

HELP!!!!!

Reddog170

Ok short story is the gentleman that bought my silverwing flew in today to pick it up and ride it to Indiana and then on to Arizona. The plan went as it was supposed to except one thing, he is inexperienced and in ten blocks has already has several mishaps. What do I do now? I am not comfortable in letting him take it on a cross country trip when he cant get it across town!! Legally i cant stop him. But morally it aint right for me to let him go. Any and all help appreciated. Shaun

Not much you can do.

You can impress on this guy that he needs to consider other options, including shipping. $500 is way cheaper than hospital bills, or killing someone.

If he insists then you could consider him dangerous to the public, and call the cops.

It sounds ungrateful, but it would be responsible.

Any chance you have a place and a little time to maybe help aquaint him with the bike and/or riding in general?

A few dozen laps around a parking lot or pasture? Just a thought... cause that's how a buddy and myself are teaching my daughter to ride right now, it seems to be working out well and moving along pretty swiftly.

You have a good conscience but it's already been said... not a lot you can do really if he's insistent.

Samurai

We are going to a parking lot to help him out in the morning. Hope he can get more acquainted and comfortable with the bike. Not a real good situation. Shaun

Well the guy has a 1000 mile ride to face.

He will be well acquainted with it by then, if he gets it there.

Well he has agreed to rent a U-Haul if we do not think he can make the trip on the bike. When he gets to Indiana he will have a couple weeks to practice with his son before trying to make it back to Arizona. Shaun:backinmyday::no-no-no:

You did not mention if this is his first bike, or just his first big bike.

Does he have a motorcycle endorsement on his drivers license. If not then you can legally stop him with just a phone call.

But it sounds like you are on the right track with him staying long enough to spend some time in a parking lot to at least get the basics down.

Update: He will be renting a car and having the bike shipped home. He also has signed up for a course through a Motorcycle Training Center near him.

I did everything I could, just was not enough. Shaun

Reddog, it is good to know that there are still some kind and caring people in this old cruel world. No disrespect to anyone here, but there are so many people whom would have said, let him go and hope for the best. You did the right thing and even went beyond and took the time to try and teach him something. I believe you did. Good Job .......

Fuzzy :thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Reddog, it is good to know that there are still some kind and caring people in this old cruel world. No disrespect to anyone here, but there are so many people whom would have said, let him go and hope for the best. You did the right thing and even went beyond and took the time to try and teach him something. I believe you did. Good Job .......

Fuzzy :thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

DITTO that !!!

I used to run a Car/Truck rental operation and before renting one of our 5 ton moving vans, I made sure the renter knew how to handle one of these trucks and there were more than one occasion where I refused to allow the renter to operate the truck (they had to find someone else who could or not rent it).

This was not only to protect us and our investment but to also protect the safety of the renter.

Thank You. The part that got to me was seeing the disappointment in a 60 year mans face. Like he wanted it so bad but it was just out of reach. I did get to speak with his son and learned some other news, he has some symptoms of early dementia, and diabetes type 1. Apparently in a few years he will not be able to even live on his own. Guess he was hoping that this cross country ride would be his last big Hooraw. He does have my respect. Retired from the air force, two wars and more medals than he can list. I know I did right with my decision, he told me that. I do hope he gets to make his ride, and should he make it I will try to ride with him. The ride he wants to make is a trip down route 66.

See you on the road,(or the ice cream parlor,LOL) Shaun

When he gets the hang of riding, how about VR members in his area plan a meet and eat and ride to help him live part of his bucket list..........that way he would have a lot of support and a really enjoyable ride................I would be there if close enuff..............

Thank You. The part that got to me was seeing the disappointment in a 60 year mans face. Like he wanted it so bad but it was just out of reach. I did get to speak with his son and learned some other news, he has some symptoms of early dementia, and diabetes type 1. Apparently in a few years he will not be able to even live on his own. Guess he was hoping that this cross country ride would be his last big Hooraw. He does have my respect. Retired from the air force, two wars and more medals than he can list. I know I did right with my decision, he told me that. I do hope he gets to make his ride, and should he make it I will try to ride with him. The ride he wants to make is a trip down route 66.

See you on the road,(or the ice cream parlor,LOL) Shaun

Its amazing the ammount of people that cant ride ride walk into a dealership and buy the biggest most obnoxious machine they can afford and driop it 3 times before leaving the parking lot.

i am glad to got it worked out but its not your fault.

now if you would have had ten beers with him and set him loose then i would say you have culpability .

When he gets the hang of riding, how about VR members in his area plan a meet and eat and ride to help him live part of his bucket list..........that way he would have a lot of support and a really enjoyable ride................I would be there if close enuff..............

Good idea ............. :thumbsup2::thumbsup2: