IGNORED

Driving lights switch Some have two some have three what is the difference?

Hi all! I have a really dumb question and I know it touches on my post yesterday about relays and driving lights but at the same time it is separate. Forum monitor please forgive me.

I bought a relay and all of the parts I need to put a relay in. I printed a couple of different posts that had schematics and instructions.

I purchased a simply on off push button type switch that is more robust than the one that comes with the Yamaha light kit.

I have a couple of questions; (1) what is the difference between a simple switch that has two connect points and one that has three?

Also I want to hook my lights up so they are on all the time whether I am using low or high beam. The official Yamaha instructions says" On all the time: Splice red power lead to red w/Yellow stripe lead (in natural nylon multi connector)

My assumption is that what they are referring to is what the instruction I have read call "Switched Power" and that one wire goes from here to one terminal on the switch and one wire goes from terminal 86 of the relay on the coil side to the other connect point on the switch. Sorry, schematics confuse me. My apologies for the dumb question.

Any help is appreciated

Chris in Red Deer

"Also I want to hook my lights up so they are on all the time whether I am using low or high beam. The official Yamaha instructions says" On all the time: Splice red power lead to red w/Yellow stripe lead (in natural nylon multi connector)"

This is the easy part of the installation. I just did this about a month ago, so it is very fresh in my mind. That is the exact wire that you want to tap onto so that your highway lights stay on all the time, whether your low beam or high beam is on. Just slip a quick-connect on to it, and attach your wire harness that came with the light kit to the other side of the quick-connect. How you run the rest of the wiring to the switch is up to you, but I used the stock switch and drilled the little hole next to the 12v outlet like the instructions said, and it works fine. Since I leave these lights on all the time when I'm riding, I rarely touch that little push button switch anyway.

My only deviation from the instructions was to replace the flimsy inline tube fuse and plastic holder with a much better inline blade fuse, and ran the wire between the hot lead and the fuse through the lower back side of the fairing to a nice secure spot just under the triple tree, so that the fuse is easily accessible without having to split the fairing should it blow and need replacing. That mod only requires about 18 or 20 inches of additional 14 gauge wire. Other than that, it was a fairly easy install on the wiring part.

You need to read the instructions with your switch, SOME switches with three connectors have lights in them, and then the third connector is for ground to the light. But other switches with three connectors are simply single pole, double throw switches which are essentially two switches in one, meaning if you throw the switch one way you can turn on device A, and when you throw it the other way you get device B. You can use that kind of switch and just use two connectors and it works exactly like a simple on/off switch.

The point is that you need to read the instructions on the package or look for a diagram on the switch itself, not just blindly assume that all three connector switches are the same.

Goose

You need to read the instructions with your switch, SOME switches with three connectors have lights in them, and then the third connector is for ground to the light. But other switches with three connectors are simply single pole, double throw switches which are essentially two switches in one, meaning if you throw the switch one way you can turn on device A, and when you throw it the other way you get device B. You can use that kind of switch and just use two connectors and it works exactly like a simple on/off switch.

The point is that you need to read the instructions on the package or look for a diagram on the switch itself, not just blindly assume that all three connector switches are the same.

Goose

Hi Goose,

My switch is just a simple push button on/off switch. It only has two spade connectors on it and there is no information on it at all.

Chris

I purchased a simply on off push button type switch that is more robust than the one that comes with the Yamaha light kit.

I have a couple of questions; (1) what is the difference between a simple switch that has two connect points and one that has three?

Any help is appreciated

Chris in Red Deer

I know you said you weren't good with schematics, but here are some basic views of a few switch configurations. These are only a few very basic switches, but a good place to start.

Picture below shows several switches in different configurations.

Left side is a SPST (single pole single throw, means single set of contacts, only conducts in one position), top is shown open, bottom is shown closed.

Middle is a SPDT (single pole double throw, means single set of contacts, conducts in one position or the other position), top is shown one way, bottom is shown switch flipped.

Right side is a SPST lighted switch, both upper and lower views are shown with the switch in the open position. The difference between the upper & lower views is the operation of the light inside the switch. Top view shown such that light will only be on when switch is flipped & in the closed position. Lower view is shown with the light being illuminated whenever power is supplied to switch, irregardless of position. This might be desired for ease of locating some switch at night.

Sorry for the crappy information in my first post Kids, there, that didn't hurt at all.

:sign02:

Gary

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/switches1.jpg