IGNORED

driving lights relay switch install is there a way...

I turned my bike on yesterday and the driving lights wouldn't come on at all. The dealer did the install back last December and they didn't put the switch in as per the Yamaha instructions.

I'm almost certain that the fuse inside the faring is blown and that I have a pinched wire either in the centre of the bar mount or when the bike is swung all the way out in one direction. I did notice that on the right hand side when I swing it out to expose it, that a blue wire looked pinched.

Today I purchase all of the necessary parts to install a relay and a switch. I have been reading lots of the posts on this subject and my one question at this point is do I have to take the gas tank off in order to do this?

One post with pictures says that the gas tank has to be removed.

Has anyone installed a relay and a switch without having to remove the gas tank?

Thank you in advance

Chris

Today I purchase all of the necessary parts to install a relay and a switch. I have been reading lots of the posts on this subject and my one question at this point is do I have to take the gas tank off in order to do this?

One post with pictures says that the gas tank has to be removed.

Has anyone installed a relay and a switch without having to remove the gas tank?

Thank you in advance

Chris

In direct response to your two questions - you almost certainly do have to remove the tank. But trust me, it is REALLY easy to do.

When my bike was new and I knew nothing about it, I did successfully fish a power wire from the battery up through the left side of the tank and out the point at the steering neck where the main wire bundle exits without removing the tank, But quite frankly, I am still completely amazed that I was able to do that! Now that I know what is under there, I certainly would not risk even a nickle bet that it could be done. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

In direct response to your two questions - you almost certainly do have to remove the tank. But trust me, it is REALLY easy to do.

When my bike was new and I knew nothing about it, I did successfully fish a power wire from the battery up through the left side of the tank and out the point at the steering neck where the main wire bundle exits without removing the tank, But quite frankly, I am still completely amazed that I was able to do that! Now that I know what is under there, I certainly would not risk even a nickle bet that it could be done. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Yeah I used a straightened out coat hanger to fish a (fused) power wire up to the fairing. Didn't have time to pull the tank right then. I did pull the tank later and ran the wire "right".

Pulling the tank is really not a big deal...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?p=609318#post609318

While putting in a relay is a good idea, you might want to check something else first. I recently had a problem with my passing lights (Supposedly installed by a dealer according to the PO) and I discovered that they had used a "guillotine" type tap to tie into a power wire. That's the blue plastic type of tap with a blade inside where you place both wires and then squeeze it closed to complete the circuit. When I would move the tap around, the lights would go on and off. The fuse was fine. I got some wire and proper connectors and did some soldering to permanently fix the problem. While I was at it, I replaced the glass fuse holder with a weather proof automotive blade type fuse holder and zip tied it to a cable bundle near the headlight adjustment knob after making sure it wouldn't get squashed when turning the bars. Now, if the fuse blows, I can get to it by turning the bars...nothing to remove. I didn't have the time, or urge, to remove the tank and besides, if I had put it under the seat, then I would have to remove that to get to it. And of course, you can still install a relay.

Andy

I just wanted to say thank you to all the people who responded and gave advice. I did this yesterday. When I split the faring the little plastic fuse holder with the glass fuse in it that Yamaha supplies had melted and burnt out.

Since I already had a full tank of gas I cut and then soldered in an automotive blade fuse just above the headlight adjust so it is accessible if it blows on the road and I will put the relay in after I run my tank down and can remove the tank.

Chris

Just an FYI for you - the tank is VERY easy to take off, either full or empty. Just three bolts and it picks right up.

Goose

Oops, forgot to mention that you do need to remove the plastic key cover and disconnect the fuel gauge plug and tank vent hose. Figured you were smart enough to know you had to disconnect the fuel line! The main point of my post was to stress that I doubt you would find a full tank any problem to remove.

Edited by V7Goose
added information about key cover

Just an FYI for you - the tank is VERY easy to take off, either full or empty. Just three bolts and it picks right up.

Goose

Set fuel cock lever to off position and unhook fuel line if you want to move it very far.

Gary