IGNORED

pull behind tire pressure

Handyman

My trailer weighs 156 lbs. It has 12 inch tires. It calls for 60 lbs of tire pressure Max. Since it will never weigh over 250 or 275 lbs loaded, should I run 60 lbs or can I run less air pressure? I don't want to run anymore than I need to be safe.

Thanks

Richard

My trailer weighs 156 lbs. It has 12 inch tires. It calls for 60 lbs of tire pressure Max. Since it will never weigh over 250 or 275 lbs loaded, should I run 60 lbs or can I run less air pressure? I don't want to run anymore than I need to be safe.

Thanks

Richard

So does mine but the manufacturer taold me to run around 20-25 lbs depending on how loaded it was. I run 25 all the time in mine. If you run I60 you will find it bounces and is generally rough pulling run

Just my scientific wild a$$ guess idea, but once loaded I air my 8" tires up until there is no noticeable sidewall flex. So far that has worked out to 25 to 30psi. I suspect at 60psi you would think you were dribbling a basket ball behind the scoot...

JMHO :confused24:

More air in the tire always reduces rolling resistance, but on a lightly loaded tire, the difference is minimal. The harder the tire, the easier it is to roll, but the rougher the ride.

With your trailer fully loaded, inflate the tires just enough that you see only very minimal or no tire flex as you lift up a bit on the side of the trailer, then make sure both tires are at the same pressure. No matter how low that pressure is, you will be just fine.

Goose

The pressure you put in may also vary depending on how many plys in the tire. Are they 4 ply or 6 ply?

I just bought a Lees-ure Lite tent trailer and the tire size (16.5 x 6.5 x 8) is a 6-ply tire (that's what they come with) and even though the max load rating is 615 lbs @ 45psi, the manufacturer recommends anywhere from 24-28 lbs for optimum performance.