IGNORED

tire replacement

newventure

I noticed on this site that alot of folks replace their own tires. My other bike, kaw/ 1500 needs new tires and want to replace front and rear in the next few weeks. I'm mechaniclly inclined ,wrenched on cars for over twenty years and have the tools to do so. My question is, being that these tires are tube type is there anything I need to do as far as installing new tubes, such as not getting them pinched ect. and was told to use babay power to help in the installation. I plan on removing the wheels myself and removing and installing the tubes and tires. I have done car tires in the past, but all were tubeless. I guess my main concern is can I do this myself, or just remove the wheels and take them to the dealer or a tire shop and have them do the tires? Also a concern is the safety factor, never done this before and with only two wheels under me I don't want any issues. I will be purchasing a m/c jack in the next few days to do this, and recommendatios? Sorry for so many questions, but any suggestions would help me decide, your thoughts? Thanks in advance...

Personally I would take the wheels into a shop and have them install the tires and tubes. They have all the right tools to do it and if there is an issue you have some recourse. I do all mine on the Ventures, but they are all tubless so that easy.

:2cents:

you can do it all your self, as far a shop goes, do you really trust a 19yo kid with your life more then you trust yourself?? Just a thought.. any way, you just have to be carefull not to pinch the tube, and depending on what tires you get, make sure that you have the paint spot lined up with the valve stem. Then balance, and all should be good.

I noticed on this site that alot of folks replace their own tires. My other bike, kaw/ 1500 needs new tires and want to replace front and rear in the next few weeks. I'm mechaniclly inclined ,wrenched on cars for over twenty years and have the tools to do so. My question is, being that these tires are tube type is there anything I need to do as far as installing new tubes, such as not getting them pinched ect. and was told to use babay power to help in the installation. I plan on removing the wheels myself and removing and installing the tubes and tires. I have done car tires in the past, but all were tubeless. I guess my main concern is can I do this myself, or just remove the wheels and take them to the dealer or a tire shop and have them do the tires? Also a concern is the safety factor, never done this before and with only two wheels under me I don't want any issues. I will be purchasing a m/c jack in the next few days to do this, and recommendatios? Sorry for so many questions, but any suggestions would help me decide, your thoughts? Thanks in advance...

Thanks, for the input. I thought about this as well. Two years ago I had the dealer do my venture tires, they do a good job, but with cost of tires and labor, was over 400.00. I guess I'm looking to save some coins on this bike. Of course the ventures were tubeless. Next tire replacement on the venture I may tackle this my self, but that will be a while. I guess my thought is I wouldn't feel right removing the wheels and then taking the wheels and new tires to a dealer to have them dismounted and mounted. Was self employed for a few years and I didn't care for people bringing their own parts for me to install. Will consider it though. I feel comfortable with cars, just not sure on the bikes. I do my own maintenance as much as I can, but was always hesitant on tire or wheel work on a motorcycle.

Thats one of those things, that if you don`t feel comfortable with it then do as Squid mentioned and take then to a shop that you trust...oh and spoked wheels can be a booger to balance.. good luck and be safe

Thanks, for the input. I thought about this as well. Two years ago I had the dealer do my venture tires, they do a good job, but with cost of tires and labor, was over 400.00. I guess I'm looking to save some coins on this bike. Of course the ventures were tubeless. Next tire replacement on the venture I may tackle this my self, but that will be a while. I guess my thought is I wouldn't feel right removing the wheels and then taking the wheels and new tires to a dealer to have them dismounted and mounted. Was self employed for a few years and I didn't care for people bringing their own parts for me to install. Will consider it though. I feel comfortable with cars, just not sure on the bikes. I do my own maintenance as much as I can, but was always hesitant on tire or wheel work on a motorcycle.

you can do it all your self, as far a shop goes, do you really trust a 19yo kid with your life more then you trust yourself?? Just a thought.. any way, you just have to be carefull not to pinch the tube, and depending on what tires you get, make sure that you have the paint spot lined up with the valve stem. Then balance, and all should be good.

Make sense, I feel I can do it, just have that insecure feeling I have to dismiss. Balancing coud be another issue as you mentioned. My local tire shop may do motorcycle tires but not sure if they could re-balance the wheel if needed. May end up taking to a bike shop reguardless. Don't want anything to happen to me and the Mrs.

Thats one of those things, that if you don`t feel comfortable with it then do as Squid mentioned and take then to a shop that you trust...oh and spoked wheels can be a booger to balance.. good luck and be safe

See your from Tx. I've been here since the first weekend of June, here at Witchita Falls attending school, A/F. will be heading back to Pa. in a week. sure is hot here, been over a hundred degrees the whole time. I will say alot of nice folks, friendly, helpfull. I could live here, but my wife said it's to hot. Been a nice stay, but looking forward to getting back to family and the mountains. Well lunch break is over, heading back to class. Take care...

You might be surprised at the reaction of a dealer being asked to mount and balance tires bought elsewhere. Mine was glad to do it. I offered to let them match (or even come close - 10% or so) the tire pricing. They admitted they weren't competitive on the tire pricing (even with a discount on the mount and balance) but were glad to mount and balance. I take off my own wheels and take them in along with the tires. Cost about $40 or so per wheel.

I changed one of my own front tires using tire spoons. That is a lot of work. Didn't even try the rear. Just took it in. I change the tires on my KLR all the time using spoons. Not the Venture. Too heavy of a tire and too small of a wheel diameter.

YMMV.

RR

I'm checking on some tire prices and will check with the dealer and see what kind of deal they can do on tires and maybe they will cut me a brake on the labor if I bought the tires through them and have them mount and balance. At least I should save labor on the wheel removal. I realize that busineses have to make money, to stay in business ,but lately I've heard from other's that the dealers are really taking advantage of folks because of the economic situations were all in, just a little leery.

I'm checking on some tire prices and will check with the dealer and see what kind of deal they can do on tires and maybe they will cut me a brake on the labor if I bought the tires through them and have them mount and balance. At least I should save labor on the wheel removal. I realize that busineses have to make money, to stay in business ,but lately I've heard from other's that the dealers are really taking advantage of folks because of the economic situations were all in, just a little leery.

Motorcycle Superstore has a spot on their website to show you the shops in your area that will do the service with their pricing. I found a bike shop in my area that would do the job for half of what the dealer would. It is at least worth a look. I bought the tires at Motorcycle Superstore they shipped to the bike shop, I called for an appointment. Easy. :080402gudl_prv:

Doing tires on a bike is not as hard as it seems even tubed wheels are easy just don't use screw drivers, and insure the bead your trying to remove or install is in the drop zone. Hopefully Nick doesn't show up to help (nicking the tube thus causing a leak) just remember to inflate the tube then release the air while moving the stem around to allow escaped air out from between the tube and tire. Don't let worry about balance just pick up some dyna beads they are compatible with tubed or tubeless tires..

Any car tire shop could do it on their coats machine orother make with minimal fuss and install the dyna beads. I install all my own tires at work on a coats and have done it on the floor with tire bars also when in the driveway.

If you don't want to go the dyna bead route you could put a broom stick or something through the rim suspend it between two whatever, garbage cans, saw horses. and the heavy end will go to the bottom add weight to that end until it stops in any position you place it in and doesn't roll

You should absolutely use a new tube. A new rim band is also advisable. Check to make sure no spoke ends are sticking above their nuts.

If you're planning to do it with spoons it's very easy to pinch the tube. If you're using a machine you're much less likely to damage a tube, but you can get it caught under the bead on narrower tires. Just a bit of air in the tube before you install the second bead can keep it from getting caught or pinched.

You need to make sure the tube is not twisted. Most tubes have a lateral stripe to help you notice a twist.

The valve stem needs to be straight and not pulled at the rim hole. With spoons this is pretty easy, but with a machine the tire may slip on the wheel - pulling the stem crooked. If you've got it on a machine you should be able to turn the tire back and forth (with some effort) to get the stem to stand up straight. DO NOT TIGHTEN THE STEM NUT UNTIL THE TIRE IS INFLATED - you need it loose so you can see what the stem is doing.

Finally, put 10 psi or so in the tire then remove the valve. This helps the tube work out any kinks or binds to the wheel.

Now you can inflate to seat the beads and set the pressure. Tighten the stem nut.

You can adequately balance by putting the wheel on the axle and setting the ends of the axle on stands (chair backs, etc.).

You should absolutely use a new tube. A new rim band is also advisable. Check to make sure no spoke ends are sticking above their nuts.

If you're planning to do it with spoons it's very easy to pinch the tube. If you're using a machine you're much less likely to damage a tube, but you can get it caught under the bead on narrower tires. Just a bit of air in the tube before you install the second bead can keep it from getting caught or pinched.

You need to make sure the tube is not twisted. Most tubes have a lateral stripe to help you notice a twist.

The valve stem needs to be straight and not pulled at the rim hole. With spoons this is pretty easy, but with a machine the tire may slip on the wheel - pulling the stem crooked. If you've got it on a machine you should be able to turn the tire back and forth (with some effort) to get the stem to stand up straight. DO NOT TIGHTEN THE STEM NUT UNTIL THE TIRE IS INFLATED - you need it loose so you can see what the stem is doing.

Finally, put 10 psi or so in the tire then remove the valve. This helps the tube work out any kinks or binds to the wheel.

Now you can inflate to seat the beads and set the pressure. Tighten the stem nut.

You can adequately balance by putting the wheel on the axle and setting the ends of the axle on stands (chair backs, etc.).

Thanks for all the info, sounds easy just have to take some time and pay attention to what I'm doing. Still haven't made the decision wheather to do this yet. I will keep checking on tire prices and will check with my dealer soon. I have a friend who works on bikes part time, mainly HD's, doesn't care for the metrics, I tell him because their to complicated for him and they never break. He has done tire work before and has a machine, but two different customers had tires go down quickly not long after he replaced them, both were tube type, and one was a front tire, good guy but not to confident on his work. Mouth runs to much and doesn't pay attention to what he is doing, so not really comfortable having him do it, kind of sad but like I said in an earlier post, I only have two wheels under my butt so I want it done right. May just remove the wheels and buy the tires at the dealer and have them mount them, then I have some reassurance it's done by someone who has done this before.