IGNORED

High Beam Indicator not working

Here is what I know

The bulb is good.

I have 12 volts on the R/Y side

The RLU isnt pulling the ground down to light the bulb.

Is this a common failure of the RLU?

I found an interesting thread on removing/bypassing the RLU. That idea deserves some thought.

When my starter switch needed cleaning, that particular device didn't tell me that my light was out anyway!

Edited by rstacy
Changed RSU to RLU

I can't say if it's a problem that a lot of first Gens have or not, but on my 83 sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I just got in the habit of using the position of the high/low beam switch as an indicator. On my 89, it always works.

Frank D.

Here is what I know

The bulb is good.

I have 12 volts on the R/Y side

The RLU isnt pulling the ground down to light the bulb.

Is this a common failure of the RLU?

I found an interesting thread on removing/bypassing the RLU. That idea deserves some thought.

When my starter switch needed cleaning, that particular device didn't tell me that my light was out anyway!

Are you sure you do not have actual failure of the high beam circuit, and the RLU is preforming as designed and switching in the low beam circuit when HI is requested?

IF the RLU was working correctly it would light the white headlight indicator on the dash to tell you it had switched to low when you selected hi. But then the white bulb could be burnt out.

Check to be sure you are actually getting hi when selected.

IF the RLU was working correctly it would light the white headlight indicator on the dash to tell you it had switched to low when you selected hi. But then the white bulb could be burnt out.

Check to be sure you are actually getting hi when selected.

If he gets "Hi", won't he see lights everywhere?

Are you sure you do not have actual failure of the high beam circuit, and the RLU is preforming as designed and switching in the low beam circuit when HI is requested?

I can tell you that when I switch from low to high, the beam of the light actually changes to a wider and higher spread.

I don't have any other warnings on the dash.

My high beam indicator was intermittent as well, RLU not going to ground. I ended up tying the indicator to the low beam headlight wire. It has been good since. It has been a few years since I did that so I hope I remember correctly.:backinmyday:

Scotty