The CMS and therefore the gas gauge is not functioning. The knob and faceplate are missing from my petcock reserve switch. There is a stopper tab connected to the shaft that points fore or aft. Assuming OFF is in the middle, if the shaft is turned all the way clockwise would that be the REServe position or the On position?

A picture is worth a thousand words indeed. It's nice to see what the petcock switch is supposed to look like. Pull the knob and the faceplate off and that is what I have. It would be nice to come up with some kind of handle that will fit on the square shaft, well probably slightly rectangular shaft so it would not be so awkward to switch over. Anyway, until I get the CMS working I will have to rely on the reserve and/or the trip gauge. My Virago does not have a petcock, just a warning light and an electrically operated cylinder cutout to catch my attention.

Thanks for all the responses, under the circumstances knowing how the reserve works is likely better than sleeping at a Holiday Inn.

@ IslandMech: Were you asking about the CMS? The display stopped working while it was in storage. I tried re-soldering it twice but either didn't do it right or missed doing the part that was the problem. At least I did fix the gear indicator switch and no longer have the neutral light cutting out when the engine is hot.

Tomorrow is insurance day and the first real ride for the VR and I. :cool10:

My bike is also missing the "extras" on the gas valve, and only the stem is there. I know mine's on reserve because I've put over 5 gallons in and run over 200 miles a time or two. It looks like you need to turn the stem full CCW to put it on reserve.

Frank D.

I'm not sure why everybody is so worried about the reserve on a 1stGen?? Once it's set to reserve leave it there and ride. We have a fuel guage and trip odo. When it hits 150 miles start looking for a station. Unless your bike doesn't have any way of telling what's in the tank can I can then see the need for a reserve. I place a 1stGen reserve right up there along side the kill switch.

The kill switch is actually a very good thing to have if you fall over and can't reach the ignition key. If for some reason there is an impending collision, cutting the engine before impact would likely be better than doing it after.

In my case, the CMS is not working so I have no gauge and the reserve switch is the only backup. To compound the issue I have been riding the bike for only two days and do not have a clue what mileage it is getting.

Today on my way home from work the engine started to sputter so I pulled over and turned the petcock to reserve after which she ran fine. The trip gauge read 217.8 km and I put in 16.5 litres which would make it somewhere around 30 miles per gallon. This is not very good but there has been a lot of idling while I messed with things so I expect it is lower than it could be. In any case I think it is fairly certain my engine is not running up to par.

@ FrankD: Thanks Frank, I think I've got it sorted out now.

The kill switch is actually a very good thing to have if you fall over and can't reach the ignition key. If for some reason there is an impending collision, cutting the engine before impact would likely be better than doing it after.

Did you know that you have an emergency stop tilt switch that will kill the engine when the bike is layed down?? The kill switch belongs right next to the reserve and the tape deck.... :)

I'm not sure why everybody is so worried about the reserve on a 1stGen?? Once it's set to reserve leave it there and ride. We have a fuel guage and trip odo. When it hits 150 miles start looking for a station. Unless your bike doesn't have any way of telling what's in the tank can I can then see the need for a reserve. I place a 1stGen reserve right up there along side the kill switch.

I know it is a personal thing, but I totally agree!

Did you know that you have an emergency stop tilt switch that will kill the engine when the bike is layed down?? The kill switch belongs right next to the reserve and the tape deck.... :)
No I did not know that. Dual systems, one new fangled and the other old fangled... very interesting.

Thanks for letting me know that as it might come in handy some day. Where is this switch located?

I remember years ago that Ford had a G-force switch installed in the 4x4's that would cut the engine ignition if tripped. A friend of a friend was jinking around and his truck quit... in the boonies and in the middle of a stream no less. This fellow ended up getting his truck towed a rather long way and had a mechanic, unfortunately not a Ford mechanic , work on it. After a number of hours some information came to light that this switch was mounted behind the glove box liner. Out of sight but easy to get to. This guy was not a happy camper.

No I did not know that. Dual systems, one new fangled and the other old fangled... very interesting.

Thanks for letting me know that as it might come in handy some day. Where is this switch located?

Don't know... Never had reason to find it, but I bet someone on the board knows.... Pro'bly up inside the fairing uppers??