IGNORED

Front and Rear Vale Stem Question

Guest Slab_Ryder

Guest Slab_Ryder

Is the Rear and Front Tire Valve Stem the same size? On my next Front Tire change, I would like to replace the Front with a right angle stem like the Back Tire

If your planning on using the rear tire valve up front it wont work properly. I tried it and eventually it leaked as it forced itself up into the hole. The front wheel hole is slightly larger. Better to go with an aftermarket angled one for the front. I have one on there now and it works fine.

While we are all bent over about the valve stem issue...

my Venture which i acquired recently, i cant figure out how to open the valve caps to check the tire pressure.:Avatars_Gee_George:

It just turns freely and doesnt come off. Both, the front as well as the rear one. they are made of shiny chrome, and have the yamaha star logo on them. Is there a trick to getting them off?:bang head:

Thanks in advance to all, including smart alecs.....yes you, Ben!( Saddlebum).

While we are all bent over about the valve stem issue...

my Venture which i acquired recently, i cant figure out how to open the valve caps to check the tire pressure.:Avatars_Gee_George:

It just turns freely and doesnt come off. Both, the front as well as the rear one. they are made of shiny chrome, and have the yamaha star logo on them. Is there a trick to getting them off?:bang head:

Thanks in advance to all, including smart alecs.....yes you, Ben!( Saddlebum).

Maybe they're the child proof variety..... :whistling:

if you use a right angle stem on the front wheel, the brake rotor will block you from checking or adding air .

if you put a 45 degree stem in and put it pointing slightly forward, then it's much easier to adjust and check as needed.

the early model star valve stem caps were made of aluminum and corroded when mated with the steel stems.... unfortunatly in most cases you will destroy the cap and the stem, leaving you with a flat tire, when and if you get them apart.. use a small torch type lighter to heat the cap and they will come apart .....sometimes.

be prepared for the need to replace the entire stem.

mike:080402gudl_prv:

Can you post a link to the Aftermarket Stem?

The shop that mounted my front tire had some in stock and it is the 45 degree stem, angled slightly forward and to the right side of the bike. Any M/C shop should have one on hand.

• 2 weeks later...

On my first tire change with the venture, I ordered a set of 83 degree aluminum valve stems to make checking and filling easier. The valve stems were 11.3 mm which I was assured was a yamaha standard. Well the front fit great. I love it and it is still doing great.

The rear however would not fit as the hole in the rim was too small. I am now two tire changes down the road and I believe I have found a 90 degree stem from K&L for the rear that will work. When I put the new tires on next week I will know for sure.

http://www.kurveygirl.com/valve/AL%20Valve%20-%2011,3%20-%20Silver%20-%20Side%20View.jpg