IGNORED

Headset high pitched screeching

jryan

After replacing my broken fairing & putting everything back together, all works fine except when I plugged in my helmet headset cable tonight to the bike when going for a ride & got a super loud high pitched constant screeching sound. It happens with different helmets, different cables, and when connected to either the front or rear connectors...so I must've missed something when reconnecting all the radio wiring. I have mic-mutes installed too. Radio & XM work fine thru speakers though.

Anyone know what I might've missed before I split the fairing again & go hunting for things?

The IC is normally turned up when this squeel happens and when unplugging the rear headset. I found that the ground wire from the back of the radio down to the frame needed cleaning. Chech the frame connection under the black plastic cover near the steering head.

This was not the answer but it was better (less frequently happened)

Brad

Not sure exactly what the cause is, but the screech goes away when the IC is set below 17. At 17, 18, 19, & 20 it screeches. At 16 & below it's ok. Normally I run it about 10-12 so I'm hoping it stays in that upper range. I checked/greased/reseated all the connectors but didn't make a difference. So for now I'm somewhat happy, although I don't think it used to screech even at 20, so I'm still curious! Oh well...

Not sure exactly what the cause is, but the screech goes away when the IC is set below 17. At 17, 18, 19, & 20 it screeches. At 16 & below it's ok. Normally I run it about 10-12 so I'm hoping it stays in that upper range. I checked/greased/reseated all the connectors but didn't make a difference. So for now I'm somewhat happy, although I don't think it used to screech even at 20, so I'm still curious! Oh well...

Most likely what is called feedback. Turn your IC up too far and sound starts to recirculate from the speakers to the mic,,,, it will produce an irritating high pitched noise. Turn the volume down or move the mic and or speakers,,,,, sometimes just putting the helmet on will help solve the problem.