IGNORED

Okay you computer geeks!

BOO

I have a program on my computer that I don't know where it came from and I can't get rid of it. And it's a real pain the A**.

It's mIRC, I know what it is but I want it off my computer, gone.....

Control panel doesn't work and I've searched all over their web site and can't find out how to get rid of this darn thing. It seems to be taking over the computer.

Thanks in advance,

Jerry

By the way, you don't have to be a geek to give me the right answer. Anyone will do.......

Guest Yamahawg

If the problem is a Trojan you may be in for a headache for sure. There are some good free virus programs out there. The first link below will give you some advice and direct ya to Trendmicro antivirus. I havent tryed that one but I use AVG free edition and have also used AVast free edition. Hopefully the following links will help ya out.

http://trout.snt.utwente.nl/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=34716&page=1&PHPSESSID=af

This next will tell you to remove the reference to the program using Windows registry editor. You will go to Start/run/ and type in regedit to open the editor. From there do a search as they describe. Be careful using the registry editor. You could really mess up your computer if ya make a mistake. I would probably create a System Restore point prior to making any changes. To access System Restore go to Start/Help and Support Center/, Pick a Task/ and click on the "undo do changes with System Restore" link. There it will let you create a restore point.

http://xforce.iss.net/xforce/xfdb/8076

Good Luck.

Jerry,

If it is NOT a virus, you should be able to do a unistall. Search the Web for some help sites. I can't remember ones I used previously, but found some really good info. If it IS a virus/trojan you are in for a real PIA! I ended up just buying a new computer I got so fed up. Of course, I was cheap and never ran any security on the old one. I won't make that mistake again. Saving $50 cost me $800. If you want to call me at home tonight around 4:30 (number in profile or you have it.) I might be able to talk you through some options.

Jay

Okay I still have the thing and it gets worse as time goes on.

No, no virus protection and have had any, this is the first time I have gotten anything that I couldn't get rid of.

Those free virus programs are $29.95. Sure they check for the problem but they don't correct anything for free.

I also went to the mIRC site and see that it is a chat program but I got to tell you it sure acts like a Trojan. And it seems the more I try to remove components the worse it gets.

I have actually had the thing for months. Would show up just every once in a while when I first started the computer up. Kept getting more frequent and if you clicked on the X in the corner you would close all programs running and shut the machine down.

When I try to uninstall on the control panel, it says it is running and cannot be removed.

I suppose I am going to have to buy a virus program to remove it but I will go to one of the stores, Best Buy or what ever to buy it when I get time.

Thanks for the help guys,

Jerry

Those free virus programs are $29.95. Sure they check for the problem but they don't correct anything for free.

Jerry

Trend will find it, and also give you a detailed explanation on how remove it. Of course they're not going to correct it for nothing. They're in business to make a profit. However they do earn it. Best Virus protection I've ever had.:thumbsup2:

BOO try this:

Uninstalling mIRC

mIRC 5.8 and later versions have an un-install option in the 'START/Settings/Control Panel/Add/Remove Programs' menu. Select mIRC and REMOVE it. The uninstaller will tell you exactly what mIRC copy will be removed. You will loose all your mIRC related files and all settings this way.

With older mIRC versions to un-install (or remove) mIRC, simply remove all of its files from your harddisk and remove the shortcuts. It is all very simple. mIRC makes no important changes to registry files or other Windows files that you have to remove. Older mIRC versions did not come with an un-install program.

mIRC's files are normally found in the c:/mirc/ or c:/program files/mirc/ directory. When you installed mIRC you had the freedom to choose another then the default c:/mirc/ directory. When you can not find the files maybe look what the shortcuts point to? If your mIRC keeeps coming back you might be infected with a trojan virus! Recently a virus was distributed by some malicious people that installed mIRC on PC's for some strange reason... See http://www.nohack.net/ and http://www.moosoft.com/ for help.

Did you try to just go to the C:drive, program files, and delete any folder that is associated with mirc? It still may show as an installed program when you go to add/remove from control panel, but the files will have actually been deleted. Also, ctrl-alt-delete to go to task manager, look at processes and see if you can find any "hidden" procceses that may be running the mirc. End those processed and try to find where they are saved and delete them too. Good Luck...

Guest Yamahawg

Originally Posted by BOO viewpost.gif

"Those free virus programs are $29.95. Sure they check for the problem but they don't correct anything for free."

I am running AVG Free version 7.5... No cost ... Has found and fixed viruses before for me. I dont know if it will specifically take care of this one, as I have not had it before, but is worth a shot.

Link to download Free version. http://free.grisoft.com/filedir/inst/avg75free_503a1205.exe

(It is a shame some *Geeks* attach viruses to programs, several years back I used to run mIRC on my system and never had issues with the program. It was actually quite good for what I was doing.)

Go to Start, then Run ... type in msconfig and press Enter

Go to the Startup tab in the dialog that comes up and choose Disable All.

Click Apply and then click OK.

Restart your computer... you will get a message (I forget what it says)... just OK it.

Go to the C: drive in Explorer and find the folder where mIRC is installed.

Delete that folder using Shift + Delete (bypasses recycle bin)

Get an antivirus program like AVG Free. Install it and do the updates and then have it scan your computer and clean any viruses.

Get Spybot Search & Destroy. Install it, do the updates, and scan your PC. Clean anything it finds.

Get ccleaner ... install it & do the updates... run the cleaner on the Windows Registry only and clean all that it finds.

(above programs are all free off the net)

Go back into msconfig and enable all, click OK and reboot your PC.

Okay I still have the thing ..

it gets worse .....as time goes on.

this is the first time I have gotten anything that I couldn't get rid of...........

I went to a chat program, and got it.

it seems the more I try the worse it gets.

I have actually had the thing for months.

Would show up just every once in a while..... when I first start

Kept getting more frequent and if you X in the corner you shut down.

When I try to control it, it cannot be.

I suppose I am going to have to remove it but I will go to one of the Best when I get time.

Jerry

BOO,

What in Gods name are you trying to tell us?? :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::stirthepot::stirthepot::rasberry:

Okay I still have the thing ..

it gets worse .....as time goes on.

this is the first time I have gotten anything that I couldn't get rid of...........

I went to a chat program, and got it.

it seems the more I try the worse it gets.

I have actually had the thing for months.

Would show up just every once in a while..... when I first start

Kept getting more frequent and if you X in the corner you shut down.

When I try to control it, it cannot be.

I suppose I am going to have to remove it but I will go to one of the Best when I get time.

Jerry

BOO,

What in Gods name are you trying to tell us?? :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::stirthepot::stirthepot::rasberry:

I'm wondering if he's become a "chataholic" .... he's got the "chatroom syndrome"

:witch_brew:

I ran Norton for years and got tired of it not getting some crap off my machine.

Since a recommendation by an IT worker I've run the free version of Avast and been very happy with it. Couple of years now and still happy. I run it and use the free versions of Ad-Aware and Spybot.

Very, and I mean very rarely (in fact I can't remember the last one) I would get something I couldn't kill normally. Then I run Ad-Aware and Spybot in a Safe Mode start up and bang; it's dead.

Never run without something. Way too many haters of Gates. Trouble is, they can only write the junk they do because of what he's written. If they were so superior, they could make the bucks as well and drive our of business like VHS did Beta.

Here are a couple methods for getting rid of entries in Add/Remove Programs that are either invalid or for some reason, cannot normally be removed. This assumes you've somehow removed the actual program.

This first method involves editing the registry and is an excerpt from Microsoft's Help site. The second one is a link for a downloadable probram that will work.

To remove a program reference viewable in the Add/Remove Programs tool:

1.Start Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).

2.Locate the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

3.Locate the key to be deleted by locating the key name created by the program. If the name of the key is not apparent, browse through each key and note the value for DisplayName. This is the viewable string in the Add/Remove Programs tool.

4.Using the Registry menu, export the selected registry key to make a backup. Store the .reg file in a safe location in case you need to import it at a later date.

5.Delete the selected registry key and its values. Do not delete the entire Uninstall key.

6.Quit Registry Editor.

7.Verify that the reference in the Add/Remove Programs tool is no longer visible.

Second method (should really be the first)

http://www.download3000.com/download_16103.html

Also, if you get rid of the entry in Add/Remove Programs, and you delete the folder containing the program from your hard drive, run ccleaner and do a registry clean....it will get rid of most, if not all, the "orphaned" entries in the registry associated to that program.

CAUTION... back up your registry before messing with it "just in case"!.

Guest longtrain59

mIRC Trojan

Jerry you have a virus that may have someone accessing your computer remotely and using up your computer's resources.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328691

Microsoft is aware of the Trojan and has a work around. Go to the link I posted and read the entire bulletin. The virus changes files and hides them all over your hard drive. The only way to get rid of it is to edit your registry. Follow the Microsoft instructions and you should be ok.

Do not try to restore your operating system or you may get the virus in your restore files and continue to infect your system.

When these Trojans are on a computer for a long time, it may just be simpler to do a reinstall of the operating system; that would include reformatting the drive.

Good luck!

First of all, ECK go sit in the corner, you made me go back and reread my post thinking I had typed all that garbage you had in your post, gonna cost you bud........

I sure do appreciate all the posts I have received about the mIRC.

I want to post a few points about the problem.

1. I didn't download this program and I don't know how it got on this computer, I am the only one that uses this laptop.

2. When you go to the Control Panel there is a line to uninstall mIRC but

it won't let you do anything because it says the program is running.

3. You can't stop the program from running no matter what you try to

do, some dude from England or somewhere keeps popping up and wants

to chat with if you will just register with them.

4. There is no folders in the directory named mIRC or anything close. If

do a search for mIRC you will get a couple of hits in the

windows/system32 folder but they are just short cuts and it does

nothing to delete the program.

5. The more I try to remove the program the worse it has gotten, to the

point the computer is almost unusable.

At the suggestion of a couple of folks I did a restore back to an August date. Everything seems to be fine now but then I read longtrain59's and now I have this feeling I still have it. I'm going to follow the link to Microsoft to see what that shows.

Again thanks for all the suggestions, I know with your help I will get rid of this thing.

Jerry

If

do a search for mIRC you will get a couple of hits in the

windows/system32 folder but they are just short cuts and it does

nothing to delete the program.

Jerry

Jerry, I hope you can get this resolved...these things can be a real annoyance and sometimes the only resolve it to re-install the operating system from scratch, reformatting the hard drive in the process, and then re-installing the programs you use. Before doing this, backup your important data files to a CD or something.

As for those shortcuts, did you try checking the properties of them to see where on your computer they are pointing to? If you right click the shortcut, you can choose properties from the menu. Also, sometimes when you delete a shortcut, a message will appear asking if you want to delete the shortcut only or the actual file it's pointing to.

Sure sounds to me like you have this virus mentioned.

If nothing else, you'll gain a lot of knowledge about dealing with such things so there is a positive side.