IGNORED

wife wants loud exhaust.

j_berg

my wife likes the loud exhaust. used to have a 1500 suzuki intruder with shotgun drag pipes on it. the wife would like the venture to sound similar. any suggestions?

See my post, (She says "NO" Help!) posted 2/22/2011. She got to keep the loud pipes!! ha ha ps. Did I have a choice??!! :cool10: DanC

I have the Samson Silver Bullet, 29" megaphone on mine. Very Loud and suprisingly deep. Got them on sale so I couldn't pass them up.

I have been trying to come up with ways to lower the db myself.

I have found that a 2 inch sink strainer in each end of the baffle helps some and increases the back pressure so the bike runs better.

Went for a ride 2 up yesterday and got 43 mpg.

I see they are selling for $450 and up but I got mine on a close out for $120.:big-grin-emoticon:

let me clarify a little I like the loudness also.looking for suggestions on different exhaust.would prefer not ot have to rejet or anything

That's a little tricky.

The manufacturer tunes the carburation to the exhaust they fit. You generally only get "louder" by freeing up the gas flow through the exhaust. The baffles, which reduce noise, also provide the back pressure that the engine needs for full and efficient combustion.

The popping and back-firing that many HDs suffer from when straight through pipes are fitted is part of this. What is happening, especially on the over run, is that unburned fuel is getting through to the exhaust headers, and burning there. There are some tings you can do about this, but not many. Advancing the timing will help, but many bikes have computer controlled timing so advancing it requires a new ignition map.

So ... it is likely that some of our users have changed the exhausts and got away without re-jetting, because a minor change doesn't always require it. But they have all compromised the combustion to one extent or another which may, or may not be a big deal.

At the very least, you will use SOME more gas. If the change isn't too radical then maybe not much more.

There is also a chance that the bike will run leaner than it should. That will offset the extra gas used, but can lead to pre-ignition or the engine running hotter.

Suck it and see.

I have the Khromewerks pipes and I love them! The sound is loud but not annoying to me. It does tend to bug others when I go through a tunnel or underpass if they are beside me or behind me. The teenager in me comes out and I crack the throttle. :whistling: Yup...Loud pipes are great! My bike has always run rich so I haven't bothered to consider re-jetting.

I installed straight pipes on an 86 venture and did no rejetting of carbs and the bike runs great and gets about 42 mpg. All I have in the pipes is some Harley baffles welded to the end of the pipes. The bike sounds great.

These were very loud, and sounded good. They are kewl to look at too. I took them back because my wife couldn't hear herself think back there.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUMuOzL4El8]YouTube - ‪Tailgunners on my RSV‬‏[/ame]

Loudest pipes I have ever heard on a Venture is the Baron's 4-2-4's. I have them on my 06 and when ya hammer the throttle they are really LOUD. :cool10:

Boomer.....who sez the pygmies who ride regular on the scoot are now completely deaf.:whistling:

I've got a set of Baron's Bag Slash slip ons on my RSTD. I took the baffles out, wanted a little more noise. Everyone asks me not to hammer the throttle when I'm in front of them. They say it hurts their ears. My neighbor loves the sound, says it sounds like an old V8. I didn't have to rejet the carbs, only change was to find the idle mixture screws and richen them up a tad. The factory setting is a little on the lean side anyway. There is a tech article on here somewhere about the mixture screws and how to set them.

A few of us have these pipes on our bikes, no rejetting required.

Mike has his for sale, he thinks they are too loud, but my wife loves the sound.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=60399

Thanks George.

Jeff,

Got Khrome Werks!

These are in near mint condition (only I know where one minor swirl is, where I removed a label). I think the price is good as they were only on 2 weeks.

Yep, too loud for me. I actually put on a set of the Baron's 4-2-4 to tone it down.

Click on the link above to see pictures. Also Sleeperhawk has a You Tube video of his.

They are a quick fit and hook up with no clamp shown, my 4-2-4's have exposed clamps.

They are loud, but not as loud as the V&H Shotguns I had on my Road Star.

Check em out. Can send more pics from home.

Thanks, Mike G in SC

I got a well used set of those same Khromewerks that Mike is selling. Wife loves them ... I liked the sound but found them too loud to listen to for an extended period of time so I went back to my drilled out RK's ... which I like and she is ok with.

NOTE: I don't have the Khromeweks anymore ... tried to repack them and screwed one up so off to the recycler they went. Glad I didn't pay much for them.

Loudest pipes I have ever heard on a Venture is the Baron's 4-2-4's. I have them on my 06 and when ya hammer the throttle they are really LOUD. :cool10:

Boomer.....who sez the pygmies who ride regular on the scoot are now completely deaf.:whistling:

Kind of agree with you Boomer, every Baron 4 2 4 is I have heard is loud and when we follow BEER30, all we here is his bike and not the Khromewerks. :confused24:

This is what a stock set of 1st gen mufflers sound like with all but the 1st baffle removed.

1300 motor.

Ignore the video, I don't know how to strip out the sound only.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3K3CKEMxvA&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - ‪Map w can ‬‏[/ame]

Gary