IGNORED

Battery Replacement Recommendation

hkamjr

Aloha,

Just returned from a riding trip in Central and Southern, CA on my 2006 Venture. It appears that it's time to replace my battery on my 06 Venture. Located a discussion on the same subject back in 2006. Wondering if battery technology has changed since the 2006 posts that I should consider, especially since I've noticed replacement batteries ranging from $50 to $140. Thanks in advance for your sage advice.:detective:

Well, I know what I am about to say will not sit well with all those folks who swear by whatever extra special super priced battery is getting the current press, but I'm a bit different. My batteries ALL last at least six years (usually more), but that requires proper monitoring of the battery load and charge condition at all times. The standard Yuasa battery that comes with the bike is just fine, as are most direct replacements with the same model number. I consider even 10 cents more for some "special" battery with a fancy name totally wasted money.

Last year, Sam's (and therefore Walmart) were selling a no-name battery that turned out to be a real Yuasa when I opened it up to check. When I looked a few months ago, they were selling Interstate. I'm not a huge fan of Interstate, but neither do I have any strong reason to avoid them. Frankly, if I needed to buy a battery for my RSV today, I would buy whatever was on the shelf at Sam's. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

My old battery was an Interstate branded Yuasa. No complaints on it, but the local dealers were asking over $100 for a Yuasa and the nearest Sam's is 40 miles away.

I thought my DEKA for $84 was a decent deal.

My old battery was an Interstate branded Yuasa. No complaints on it, but the local dealers were asking over $100 for a Yuasa and the nearest Sam's is 40 miles away.

I thought my DEKA for $84 was a decent deal.

I have no disagreement with you at all - I was simply saying that I thought the best choice for a replacement battery was whatever best price you can find for any standard AGM battery. Sounds like that is just what you did. And I don't much care about Sam's or any other store - I have simply found that Sam's has decent prices on the bike batteries. I assume Walmart would be the same, but I have never looked.

Goose

Skydoc sells the AGM batteries with 330+ cold cranking amps. Cured my slow starts. Now I can wait a while before doing the cables. Well worth the money in my opinion. I used the Wall-Mart/Sams batteries for years. Won't last and they are Junk. Just my opinion.

I have Walmart batteries on both my bikes ... Poverty does that to you.

But .... They have been perfectly reliable in cold and shine, and at $50 each were a fair price.

Walmart also sells AGM batteries for bikes, they are around $75 and I see no real reason why they should not give all the advantages of any other AGM battery.

There are better batteries that the regular lead/acid, I know that. But at the price, and if they hold charge for two or three seasons, then they are not doing bad.

Both my bikes live on battery tenders and the batteries are rarely less than fully charged. I suspect that helps get the most from them.

I got to throw in for the DEKA AGM's. Got mine from Josh at Bohanon and going into my 3rd season with it. It's seen some brutal treatment including a R/R failure, had to use the starter to run it up a 50 ft. incline once to get to a gas pump, been through a starter engage clutch failure (a lot of cranking) and sub zero temp starts. It's never had a tender on it even during winter storage and it still shows 12.8 volts on the digital volt meter EVERY time.

The discharge rate during storage on an AGM is so minimal you would hardly notice it. It's almost like they recharge themselves.

American made to boot. Tough as nails. Great quality. And it was under $90.00 shipped to my door.

Check with Skydoc_17 for sure. He sells them also.

Mike

Walmart also sells AGM batteries for bikes, they are around $75 and I see no real reason why they should not give all the advantages of any other AGM battery.

Not all AGM's are equal. There are a lot of things internally that can be altered to cheapen the design... and performance. Generally if you stick with a US made battery it's pretty good. I had a Bike Master AGM die in a year. Finally found the 'Made in Taiwan' in very small text on it. I also have a 'Made in China' AGM that is the same footprint as the Odyssey PC680 that I bought to check out. Although the stated CC's were equivalent to the 680, they weren't. Almost killed it on an all day ride playing the tape deck. So just because it says it's an AGM doesn't neccessarily mean it's great.

• 5 months later...
Finally, after over 7 years, the stock battery that came in my 2005 RSTD died yesterday. I would say seven years is not too bad! Looks like DEKA AGM is the way to go on a new one. Anyone have a suggestion for new battery?

http://www.bohannonbattery.com/html/deka/etx20l.html Order on line and generally you'll get it in a couple of days. Free shipping and no sales tax...

And this from another thread: It also applies to the ETX20L. Makes it $60 with pickup at store or free delivery. REMEMBER this Magnapower is a Deka battery. Just pull the magnapower sticker off and see.

Advanced Auto Parts has MagnaPower 12-Volt Sealed AGM Premium Batteries for $84.99 for 1st Gen add something for $1.00 to make it $85.99 coupon code RAF7JA1102 takes $35.00 off = $50.99 + tax. Part No. ETX18L

Voltage:12, Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) @ 0°F:340, Amp Hours:20

Ex

And this from another thread: It also applies to the ETX20L. Makes it $60 with pickup at store or free delivery. REMEMBER this Magnapower is a Deka battery. Just pull the magnapower sticker off and see.

Advanced Auto Parts has MagnaPower 12-Volt Sealed AGM Premium Batteries for $84.99 for 1st Gen add something for $1.00 to make it $85.99 coupon code RAF7JA1102 takes $35.00 off = $50.99 + tax. Part No. ETX18L

Voltage:12, Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) @ 0°F:340, Amp Hours:20

Ex

The ETX18 is not the same foot print as the 20L. Be carefull if that's all they have on the special. The 18L will work with the 1stGens, the 20L is for RSV's and 2005+ RSTD's

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Rev'n Ahead

My old battery, which was in the bike when I bought it - but is dead... has a sensor rod of some sort which plugs into the battery. Will these new batteries have this "port" as well? I haven't seen it on any of the pics.