IGNORED

Buddys clutch was redone and now my clutch is having sympathy slips

muaymendez1

Damnit. I did my buddys clucth with the parts from shydoc_17 and all went well.

Well 2 weeks later I was riding my bike to my sister in laws house and the dang thing slipped in 5th gear while trying to pass, then again in 3rd gear but only when at high speed and trying to gain more speed at high rpm.

I can take off from a light and blast through the gears with no problem.

COme to think of it i just changed my oil to 20-50 valvoline MC oil.Whats going on??

Guess I got enough practice on his bike and now time to do my own.

Edited by muaymendez1

Motorcycle specific. Oil from valvoline./ i bought it because it was on sale. I would have just put in rotella 15-40

I've used Valvoline 20-50 MC Specific oil in the past during the hot summers. Worked great and really quited the motor down. Check to see if it's labeled 'wet clutch' or friction modified...

I've used Valvoline 20-50 MC Specific oil in the past during the hot summers. Worked great and really quited the motor down. Check to see if it's labeled 'wet clutch' or friction modified...

Friction Modifiers... ya, that's the term I was trying to remember but my C.R.S. was acting up... :rotf:

The oil cannot contain Friction Modifers for motorcycles.

I thought all mc oils wer for wet clutches but i guess harley transmission oil is apart from its engine oil,.

I still have a container downstairs I will check.

As i was looking at some stuff today though i think I may have found one of my problems.

the clutch fluid was not that black weeks ago. it was dark but acceptable I guess.

Well today i looked at the sight glass and it was muddy.

I opened it up and drained that muddy fluid from the system.

Why was it so muddy. How did it get so dark in aprox 2 montsh time.

The bike was sitting for a season befor wI purchased it this year in march.

Anyway clear fluid in and the feel is better.

Lets see how it feels on the road.

If it looks muddy the only reason for that is water or coolant is in with the oil ' date=' check your oil after a day or so and if it's muddy you have a leak. the oil got dark from the clutch slipping.[/quote']

Ok there is a confusion. the brake fluid was muddy not the oil. And I think I know what happened. i have been trying out new bars and taking the masters off. Thus allowing anything that settled to the bottom to be sloshed around and fed in the hoses.

I now have clear fluid and went for a 70 mile ride and I have been carefull at top gears but no slip yet.

My first 2 thoughts on this is, ...

a) 20-50 is too heavy

b) is the oil motorcycle specific or is it automotive oil?

20W-50 is the recomended oil as per the manufacturers owners manual. And Valvoline is Motorcycle specific without friction modifiers. As sad on the bottle "Superior wet clutch Protection"

I use and have been using 20/50 Amsoil since my clutch upgrade back in 2004 with no issues. I also started using Motul 5.1 brake fluid in the clutch and brakes. Not to be confused with 5 fluid, 5.1 is just a better fluid then dot 4 as it has a higher boiling point. That is the only difference from either dot 3 or dot 4, the boiling point. Down here in fla it gets hot. I want all the help I can get....:smile5: