IGNORED

Longest Non-Stop Ride on Record

Bobby G

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rode from Manhattan KS, to Marshall MI in about 14-16 hours (Over 800 mi) on my new Concours. Near the end of that trip I stopped at Bob Evans to get a meal; I must of looked pretty raunchy because before I ordered the waitress asked if I had money, and she sat me at a table away from everyone else.

When I went into the restaurant restroom my hair was matted down and greasy; my face was black with dirt and sun burnt.

I guess I couldn't blame her?

I don't think I'll do that again...eat at Bob Evans. :rotf:

Just finished my second SS1000-Tenaha, Tx to WillCox, Az for the 1000 in 18 hrs. Stopped for 6 hr rest and finished in San Diego, Ca for the BB1500 in 34 hrs. Then roamed back by the Sequoias and the Grand Canyon home. 3900 miles in 6 days. Great trip with my son and one other rider. It's really not that hard if you just keep moving. Plus the RSV is made for eating the miles

I can't find the thread now, but I remember reading an article about a fella who rode 1000 miles a day for 15 days straight a couple years ago.

OK, found it.

WarChild rode 1500 miles a day for 7 days straight for a total of 10,636 miles and he did it with a broken wrist.

http://www.cbrxx.com/events-rides-ride-reports/2818-bbg-hell-week-mission-complete.html

Won't be any record for this group, but I rode 1100 miles in 18 hours from Houston to Denver. Last summer I had a week's trip with 700, 612, 678, and 927 mile days. Last week I did 630 miles for lunch. I like to do 600-700 mile rides a couple times a month.

Dave

With those kinda numbers, WHY aren't you at MD??? :stickpoke::stickpoke::stickpoke::confused24::confused24::confused24:

More than a legend. He did it on a wingabago pulling a trailer of fuel and the mentioned pee tube. I can find the details at home (on the road now).

One of the LD gods ran from Prudoe Bay to Key West in a few days. Broke the previous record by over a day. Will find details this evening.

My best is Fond du Lac, WI to San Antonio in 24 hours. About 1350 miles. Hope to do a BBG later this year. Bun Burner Gold - 1500 mi in 24 hrs.

RR

Found it. Turns out it was on a BMW LT.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/newsandupdates/122_0808_bmw_k1200_lt_motorcycle_rider/index.html

RR

OK, found it.

WarChild rode 1500 miles a day for 7 days straight for a total of 10,636 miles and he did it with a broken wrist.

http://www.cbrxx.com/events-rides-ride-reports/2818-bbg-hell-week-mission-complete.html

Not possible, not on regular roads anyway. If he rode 24 hours a day, he'd have to average 62.5 mph to make it. Riding 20 hours a day, and getting only 4 hours of sleep a day, he'd have to AVERAGE 75 mph to make it, and that average includes fuel and pee stops.

On a closed course, I might be more inclined to believe that this could be done, like LeMans. But not on any semblance of regular roads or even wide open interstates.

BTW, how did he break his wrist? I could imagine that he did it beating his hand on his helmet to try to stay awake! :rotf:

I started this very interesting thread by noting that I did 14 hours and 600+ miles in one sitting, and it about did me in. Personally speaking, after reading some of your posts and the rides that some of you have done, I think y'all are NUTS! :Venture:

:rotf:

Nuts? Yeah, maybe.

But it's all about preparation. Not all 1000 mile trips are the same.

Taking a stock HD Sportster on a 1000 miles in 24hours isn't my idea of fun. Riding a rally prepped BMW K1100LT 5000 miles in five days is more impressive, but less difficult.

But yeah, "Nuts" covers it :)

Not possible, not on regular roads anyway. If he rode 24 hours a day, he'd have to average 62.5 mph to make it. Riding 20 hours a day, and getting only 4 hours of sleep a day, he'd have to AVERAGE 75 mph to make it, and that average includes fuel and pee stops.

On a closed course, I might be more inclined to believe that this could be done, like LeMans. But not on any semblance of regular roads or even wide open interstates.

BTW, how did he break his wrist? I could imagine that he did it beating his hand on his helmet to try to stay awake! :rotf:

Oh it's perfectly possible.

The pace required to complete IBA "Extreme" rides is 62.5 miles per hour, including stops. The pace for the regular rides is 41.7 mph, and that is easy enough, until you have to do it for 1000 miles.

These rides are done regularly, the "easy" rides can be completed on stock bikes with a minimum of preparation .... Ask me how I know (I did mine on a 1977 Yamaha XS750), this year.

The extreme rides cannot be done casually. The bike and the rider needs preparation. It helps if the bike has an auxiliary fuel tank and is carrying 10 gallons of gas. Good electronics, good clothing and a well planned route.

In most parts of the US it can be done without exceeding any speed limits (just), it was designed that way, but many riders will take the view that "5 over" won't hurt much :)

The margins are fine on those rides, and most folk fail their first attempt.

Minimum needed, in my view ... for us ....

A well prepared Venture. Age doesn't matter, they all can do it. Either carry, or add a 5 gallon fuel cell. I'd go for adding one with quick disconnects.

GPS ... at least one. Two is better because you can hold the route on one and use the second for quick detours for gas, etc.

Radar detector optional, but most LD Riders carry one.

Hydration system. A one gallon rubbermaid properly fixed with a drinking tube. Camelbacks are okay, but you really don't want to wear one on the bike.

A cell phone, mounted and connected to the intercom is great.

Easy access to immediate things you need .... A good tank bag helps here. Money for tolls, a writing pad and pen. SOmewhere secure for receipts.

Good riding gear. A riding suit, boots, gloves and helmet. Wear them all, all the time. In very hot weather a good suit will prevent dehydration, and keep the sun off you. DOn't underestimate the drying power of the wind at 70mph. It's okay for a Sunday afternoon ride, it is deadly for 1500 miles.

Read, read, read.

Read the ride reports, especially the failures. All the answers are there.

Have fun!

Oh yes .... I forgot to mention lights.

With the possible exception of a late model Gold Wing, there are no stock bikes that have good enough lighting for this kind of ride.

You will be riding, for many hours, in the dark, and deer sit there waiting for you to go by.

At a minimum .... Add some bright red LEDs to the rear, the more the better and get a modulator for the brake lights. Car drivers are not looking for motorcycles, so force them to see you and always assume they haven't.

On the front you need to see a long way down the road. The standard headlight needs some help and there are a bunch of ways to do it.

Driving lights, two of them mounted as high and wide as you can is the best bet. If you get HID lights, and if you convert the standard headlight to HID too, the extra power draw is minimal. Make sure the driving lights are aimed to light the sides of the road, that's where the danger is.

This is a big subject, and research would help.

His ride was even featured in Cycle World last year. He rode 20 hours a day.

Did you read his ride report?

He had 2 people with him in a van that followed. They took care of the fueling, oil changes, tire changes, laundry and the doctoring that his wrist needed every day.

When he would have to stop for fuel, he'd just park the bike at the pump and the man would jump out of the van and check the bike over and refuel it while the woman checked out the rider to make sure he was ok and hydrated and would work on his wrist.