IGNORED

GL1800 AGM Battery

Battery on my 03 decided it was going on permanent disability, so I went in search of a new Deka ETX20L AGM battery. This is generally accepted as the one at the top of the heap as far as batteries for the 1800 are concerned. American made, maintenance free AGM, high CCA, one year warranty.

Wanted to let you all know that I found what appears to be the best price at Tri-State Battery Warehouse online. It is $77.95 including shipping. Ordered first thing this morning, already have confirmation of the order, I'll let you know how fast they ship.

http://www.tristatebattery.com/product_info.php?products_id=981

Joe

My battery went ka-poot last year in Iuka, Ms..

I went to Wal mart and picked up what is in it now and it works great.

If I have any isues with it, there is a Wal mart in most any town to get it exchanged.

Dont remember what it cost me though..60 or 70 bucks..but I had to add the acid & water. It is not the dry cell type.

I hate the wet cell batteries. I'm too fergitful to remember to check the water level properly. Usually get less than expected life from one and it's normally my own fault. So I'll pay the extra $10 or so and have one that requires no memory to maintain!

:whistling:

Well, so far I am royally impressed with Tri-State Battery Warehouse. I got an email confirmation:

1. When I placed my order

2. When they charged my CC

3. When the battery was in process of being packaged

4. And minutes ago, when it was picked up by UPS!

The entire process took 5 hours from order to shipment, and, so far I haven't found a better price. WooHoo!!!!

Joe

Figure I should have it by Monday at the latest. The one I have in it now actually would serve for a weekend. If it is ridden daily, it holds charge. Let it set for a week or so and it won't crank anymore. Stinking monsoons ever let up I wouldn't even have a problem!!

Can't wait for our ride! See you soon.

Joe

I have a going on eight year battery from my 02 RSMV. It is still running fine. I changed it out with a DEKA two years ago. Then I put it in my trail mower and it is still going strong. It is a Yuasa and I always keep the batteries on a tender.

:farmer:

• 2 months later...

The only issue I have seen with AGM batteries, regardless of brand, is if they discharge below 10 volts they are near impossible to recover back to full or recover at all. I have had a New AGM battery left hooked up in a PWC that sat for 6 months drop below 10 volts and was not able to get it to charge back up. This has happened on more than one occasion on a variety of brands. I would definitely keep a battery tender on it and keep it disconnected if it sits over the winter, etc.

I have been able to recover many a wet cell battery. I am a fan of the Yuasa MF batteries that came stock in our Yamahas as well as many other products. They come with the premeasured acid pack. Service it, seal it and charge it before installation. Don't need maintenance after that.

Good find on the battery price with shipping included.

RSTDdog

The only issue I have seen with AGM batteries, regardless of brand, is if they discharge below 10 volts they are near impossible to recover back to full or recover at all. I have had a New AGM battery left hooked up in a PWC that sat for 6 months drop below 10 volts and was not able to get it to charge back up. This has happened on more than one occasion on a variety of brands. I would definitely keep a battery tender on it and keep it disconnected if it sits over the winter, etc.

I have been able to recover many a wet cell battery. I am a fan of the Yuasa MF batteries that came stock in our Yamahas as well as many other products. They come with the premeasured acid pack. Service it, seal it and charge it before installation. Don't need maintenance after that.

Good find on the battery price with shipping included.

RSTDdog

The price Joe posted is really great. I've been getting DEKA's from Bohannon for about $85 on the door step.

Although I can't speak for all AGM's here's a little story about about what happened last week in Cody. I checked the charge voltage just before hitting the road from Sacramento to the VR International in Cody. Deka showed 17vdc charge at idle. I didn't have time to do any 'seek and distroy' so figured the Deka would last til I got to Cody.... hopefully..:whistling: Not so. It ended up dead in Thermopolis Wy, 85 miles south of Cody. Almost made it. Now when I say dead, I mean dead... 8.9vdc was all it showed on the meter. I should have been arrested right then and there for 'Assualt on a Battery'.. :) The sides even looked a little hollow. Luckily it died right acrossed the street from an auto parts store where I picked up a 'cheap..$95' wet cell... their only 20L in the place... got the bike fired up and made it to Cody. I did come prepared. Smart Charger and extra 'OEM Indian' rectifyer just in case. That evening I put the Deka on the smart charger and it recharged without throwing any error codes. The next morning I checked the charge on the wet cell and it showed 14.2vdc. OK, Must have been a bad battery even though it did recharge?? So off on the ride the BearTooth. Great ride as usual, but killed the wet cell on the way back. Motor died as I approached a flag man at the beginning of a construction zone 16 miles outside of town. The wet cell showed 11.8vdc, but didn't have enough poop to turn the starter over. There I sat for 2.5 hours until the rest of the group finally rode up. Gave Brian Fries (Friesman) the key to my room and he brought the 're-charged' Deka back. Many thanks Brian!!!! Fired up the bike and made it back to town. With a lot of help from 'Dano' we finally found and replaced the rectifyer and made it back to Sacramento without a problem.

Some observations.. The Deka is one tough AGM Battery. It lasted for three days and 900 miles before croaking. At 8.9vdc I would have thought I'd murdered it?? And just because there's voltage showing on a charge doesn't mean it's getting amps too. And don't assume anything... :whistling: