IGNORED

Right turn signal acting up

Before I start tearing into the wiring of the front turn signals I thought I would ask. My right front turn signal is not working properly. When you signal a right the indicator light blinks on and off rapidly. I checked the bulb and it is good. Switched the left bulb for the right and same action. When you look at the turn signals when you first turn the bike on you see one filiments glowing in each turn signal. When you activate the left turn signal you will see two filiments glowing with one going off and on to create the flashing signal. This filiment is a smaller brighter and above the other filiment. When you activate the right turn signal the smaller top filiment does not light up but the lower filiment (running ) blinks weakly instead. Any help would be appreciated.

:confused24:

You should have two contacts in the socket where the bulb plugs in. Check that the one that is for the turn indicator, smaller filament, is getting full voltage when you have the right turn signal on, should see the meter pulse. If it is make sure the contact is not dirty, corroded or damaged.

Before I start tearing into the wiring of the front turn signals I thought I would ask. My right front turn signal is not working properly. When you signal a right the indicator light blinks on and off rapidly. I checked the bulb and it is good. Switched the left bulb for the right and same action. When you look at the turn signals when you first turn the bike on you see one filiments glowing in each turn signal. When you activate the left turn signal you will see two filiments glowing with one going off and on to create the flashing signal. This filiment is a smaller brighter and above the other filiment. When you activate the right turn signal the smaller top filiment does not light up but the lower filiment (running ) blinks weakly instead. Any help would be appreciated.

:confused24:

You said you checked the bulb, singular.

and swapped the bulb, singular, left to right.

Did you check both the front and rear bulbs on both sides?

If all 4 turn signal bulbs are good then I agree that it is most likely a bad ground. At least that is where I would start looking.

If you have the Yamaha aux lights like most of us do, you will have a good chance of getting water in the turn siginal housing every time you wash the bike. On mine I have to take the turn siginal apart about once a year to clear some rust out of the bulb socket or I have the same condition you decribe. The bulb is fine but wont make a good contact with the socket. Try some 200 or 300 grit wet and dry sandpaper, rolled up to fit in the socket, and twist it around a few times, then clean the small dots in the bottom of the socket with a small flat blade screwdriver. Should take care of the problem. Good luck.

If you have the Yamaha aux lights like most of us do, you will have a good chance of getting water in the turn siginal housing every time you wash the bike. On mine I have to take the turn siginal apart about once a year to clear some rust out of the bulb socket or I have the same condition you decribe. The bulb is fine but wont make a good contact with the socket. Try some 200 or 300 grit wet and dry sandpaper, rolled up to fit in the socket, and twist it around a few times, then clean the small dots in the bottom of the socket with a small flat blade screwdriver. Should take care of the problem. Good luck.

That is exactly why they invented Dielectric grease. To keep the water out of electrical connections.

If you have corrosion in your socket, which could be the cause of you bad ground, clean it up and coat the bulb base and the inside of the socket and contacts with dielectric grease and put the bulb back in. That should keep it good and clean till you have to change the bulb someday when it dies of old age.

I did the sandpaper rolled up in the socket and made sure the bulbs contact points were clean, no change. Guess I'll start tracing today if their are no other ideas.

I had a problem with my 04 and I got a wire and took off the lens cover and touched the outside socket area and then grounded the other end to a bolt on the bike. If it is a ground problem this will tell you that right away because the bulb will start working. I have a extra ground wire on my back right hand side.

Hope this helps.