IGNORED

power problems on XS750

Russ

Ok, so some of ya'll probably remember I bought a '77 XS750 for $50 a month or so ago. I pulled the carbs off and cleaned 'em.. put 'em back together and figured I'd see if it'd turn over. I toss a charger on the battery and after a few hours go to take a look. I got lights to come on (neutral indicator and oil light) and when I hit the starter it clicked. I pulled the charger off and checked the battery.. bone dry... Not surprising as it sat for 3 years before I got hold of it. So I bought a new battery. Installed it and now I'm getting absolutely nothing. No lights, no pleasing click... nothing. I checked the fuses and none of them appear to be blown. I cleaned the connectors on the wires to the battery... I've poured through my shop manual.. I can't find anything. Any ideas?

Did you clean the connections real good when you installed it? I would bypass the start solenoid and see if the starter turns over directly. Also with sitting that long maybe the starter switch's contacts are dirty or corroded.

Being it's that old and sitting that long I would be cleaning all the wire connecting plugs and whatnot, you could be chasing it for a bit.

Things to do:

Replace the fuse block.

Replace the battery.

Clean the carbs 3 times.

Disconnect, clean and grease all electricial connectors.

Lube the cables.

Change the fluids, including brake fluid.

Check the petcocks to ensure the towers are there and to make sure they don't leak by.

Replace the float valves in the carbs so you don't get GasOil.

Change the wires with solid core and change the plugs.